Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Austin Promises Defense Will "Play Without Fear!"
(01-13-2018, 12:36 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I see that as an indicator that when the Bengals are firing on most of their cylinders (I won't say all), they are simply a better team then the Lions.

I agree!

Which brings me to the thought of the Bengals rarely beating teams that they shouldn't. When do they over achieve? The Lions defense certainly didn't over come the talent gap against the Bengals. Even more alarming that it was when their season was on the line.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 12:10 PM)GodFather Wrote: Lip service, what are these guys supposed to say? "Well with Marvin and Mike I'll do my best but dont expect miracles here guys"

Finally, we have our 2018 camp t-shirt.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
How anyone is getting excited when Mike Brown and Marvin are still here I’ll never know
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 04:53 PM)Housh Wrote: How anyone is getting excited when Mike Brown and Marvin are still here I’ll never know

You haven't seen that we've been cleaning house and bringing in new coaches who seem to know what they're doing?

You haven't heard Marvin talk about the change in philosophy in game play where we're going to go out and be aggressive and play to win?

You haven't seen where Marvin says we're going to be active in free agency and try to improve the team?

The last two are yet to be seen, but even with a new offensive line coach, the future looks A LOT brighter.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 07:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You haven't seen that we've been cleaning house and bringing in new coaches who seem to know what they're doing?

You haven't heard Marvin talk about the change in philosophy in game play where we're going to go out and be aggressive and play to win?

You haven't seen where Marvin says we're going to be active in free agency and try to improve the team?

The last two are yet to be seen, but even with a new offensive line coach, the future looks A LOT brighter.

[Image: man-with-blinders.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 11:36 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Fix this moron and I will be impressed.

[Image: 630162430.jpg]

Most overpaid overrated defensive player in the NFL
Reply/Quote
I don't know that fear is necessarily a bad thing. It is after all cooked into every breathing animal's DNA as a defense mechanism..Perhaps a few little yappy dogs could learn how helpful it can be when attacking dogs 8 times their size..

At any rate I'm seldom impressed by boiler plate responses given out to the media every season. 
Did anyone really expect him to say 'We're gonna play like a bunch of frightened little girls being chased by the big bad wolf!'? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2018, 02:34 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Most overpaid overrated defensive player in the NFL

When they asked Kirpatrick to not give up the deep ball, he delivered. When they told him how to beat Payton Manning, he delivered. His tackling needs work, and he's had some down years, but he has had some good moments. He's so fast that he can usually chase dudes from behind - enabling for some really aggressive early down stuff. He may be the 3rd or 4th best cb on the roster at certain things, and he may be overpaid, but it's not like he's wretched, or hasn't ever done anything impressive in his career.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 02:47 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Bengals kept the Ravens out of the playoffs as well. Do all their coaches suck too?

Exactly.  You can't define a coach or a player by one game.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2018, 04:06 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: When they asked Kirpatrick to not give up the deep ball, he delivered. When they told him how to beat Payton Manning, he delivered. His tackling needs work, and he's had some down years, but he has had some good moments. He's so fast that he can usually chase dudes from behind - enabling for some really aggressive early down stuff. He may be the 3rd or 4th best cb on the roster at certain things, and he may be overpaid, but it's not like he's wretched, or hasn't ever done anything impressive in his career.
I mostly agree.. Inconsistency has been the fly in the ointment.. Better teaching often leads to better results. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 09:38 AM)Interceptor Wrote: Play without fear? What about playing without stupidity? Or adding halftime adjustments to the plan?

You mean rolling MJ out at RDE?  You mean not spelling Dunlap with the VERY capable Smith and Willis (who looked excellent in the Raven's game)?  You mean not putting Adam Jones on the field over WJIII?  Playing the zero-separation Lafell over Core, Malone, and Ross?  You mean playing Mixon early in the year over Jeremy "one yard" Hill?

When you add all this crap up, it almost seems like they sabotage the season.  It wasn't injuries that forced their hand, it was utter stupidity and the guy with those brainless decisions on his ledger is STILL the head coach.  

Nothing will change.  I seriously doubt the new coordinators will be able to overcome Marv as Zimmer and Hue once did.  They simply are looking to be the successor, not to rock the boat.  

Damn, I wish they had hired Zimmer or Hue when they had the chance.  
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2018, 04:06 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: When they asked Kirpatrick to not give up the deep ball, he delivered. When they told him how to beat Payton Manning, he delivered. His tackling needs work, and he's had some down years, but he has had some good moments. He's so fast that he can usually chase dudes from behind - enabling for some really aggressive early down stuff. He may be the 3rd or 4th best cb on the roster at certain things, and he may be overpaid, but it's not like he's wretched, or hasn't ever done anything impressive in his career.

Exactly.

He didn't lose games for us last year, though he could've played better, obviously.

Not worried about Dre, he's fine. The amount of ticky-tack penalties called on him each year is infuriating though.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2018, 04:06 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: When they asked Kirpatrick to not give up the deep ball, he delivered. When they told him how to beat Payton Manning, he delivered. His tackling needs work, and he's had some down years, but he has had some good moments. He's so fast that he can usually chase dudes from behind - enabling for some really aggressive early down stuff. He may be the 3rd or 4th best cb on the roster at certain things, and he may be overpaid, but it's not like he's wretched, or hasn't ever done anything impressive in his career.

And when the fans were fed up with Marv, Dre almost delivered.....

[Image: 2rbCQsJ.gif]
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2018, 12:45 PM)Interceptor Wrote: And when the fans were fed up with Marv, Dre almost delivered.....

[Image: 2rbCQsJ.gif]

Wraps him up, drives to the ground.  At least he's showing good technique there.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Seems like a very specific statement looking at all the time we went prevent D up 1 with 30 mins left in the game
Reply/Quote
Marlene Lewis.

[Image: 18896q2j977s7gif.gif]

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 08:55 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Marlene Lewis.

[Image: 18896q2j977s7gif.gif]

lol in (slight) defense of Marv, I believe in the Belicheck GIF, the refs were ignoring him and he had to do that to get a challenge.

I was watching that game.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 07:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You haven't seen that we've been cleaning house and bringing in new coaches who seem to know what they're doing?

Yes, we have all heard and seen Merv, that's the problem. We could have the best coaches and coordinators, but Merv is still the HC and we have all seen how inept he is at that.
Reply/Quote
Since we run a 4-3 I want us to get pressure on the QB without having to blitz a lot.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 09:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Apparently, Marvin had his eye on Teryl Austin even before the season ended:

I like that because it means that Marvin had his eye on the future, even though his was uncertain, and that he wanted Teryl because he knew that Guenther was most likely gone.  

It also means that Marvin liked his style of play, which was aggressive, something Marvin's coaching has not been in Cincinnati, but the Lions had the third-most takeaways in the league last year, and so I'm hoping he plays tight in the secondary and brings pressure on the quarterbacks.  I couldn't find a blitzing percentage statistic, but his defense was 20th in sacks, which you might think is a bad thing, but it could also mean that quarterbacks just had to get rid of the ball quicker, causing more interceptions (his defense had 19, which was 4th in the NFL), and I'll take interceptions over sacks all day, especially since the secondary will be playing tighter to the line and receivers (from how it sounds).

Marvin sounds like he's being more aggressive (finally) and is in a win-now mode, and Austin seems to fit into that mold!

It's going to be a GREAT year!
How many times have I heard that???????????????
Reply/Quote