Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Austin Promises Defense Will "Play Without Fear!"
(01-16-2018, 04:49 PM)Derrick Wrote: How many times have I heard that???????????????

How many times has this franchise made this many drastic changes (that seem to be improvements) at one time with apparently more on the way?
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 10:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't know if Kool-aid goes with Coffee, but pass some of that around!

Honestly, it is all talk until we actually see it, but I do like this kind of aggressiveness.  Maualuga sucked, IMHO, other than getting fat, because the team tried to keep him from making mistakes.  I want my LBs playing with reckless abandon and trying to make game-changing plays.  I thought his rookie season he was more aggressive and they took that out of him.  It is good to hear Austin say that he wants to be aggressive rather than passive and "not give up the big play" but give up 5-10 yard ones all day long.

As per usual, withy cynical me now, I will believe it when I see it. 

exactly, they should nave never taken him from SLB where he excelled.   What do you get when you have a talented but undisciplined linebacker playing with reckless abandon?.......

Odell Thurman

I'll take 3 of these, please.....
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 08:02 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: exactly, they should nave never taken him from SLB where he excelled.   What do you get when you have a talented but undisciplined linebacker playing with reckless abandon?.......

Odell Thurman

When you watch Jacksonville's LBs fly to the ball and tackle together at full speed, it is a thing of beauty.  I think New England will pull out a trick play to catch them overpursueing.  I kept waiting for a pass-back with the steelers and it (thankfully) never happened.  

It isn't just the more aggressive, more effective play, but it brings out the attacking nature of the individual.  If you play off coverage, and you have to make a tackle in space, you just gave the advantage to the offensive player.  You also don't motivate your players with such a defense by France strategy (run the other way with your hands in the air).  You fire them up by having them attack!  I don't care if they are professionals, when you take the aggression out of the player, you also remove a lot of the motivation, and vice-versa.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 08:02 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: exactly, they should nave never taken him from SLB where he excelled.   What do you get when you have a talented but undisciplined linebacker playing with reckless abandon?.......

Odell Thurman

You better have a high powered offense to go with them because you are going to finish near the bottom of the leagu in points allowed.

The only reason people like the '05 defense is because it was paired with a high powered offense that bailed them out.  We gave up 30 points a game in our three matches with the Steelers and were lucky to win just one of them.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 08:55 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Marlene Lewis.

[Image: 18896q2j977s7gif.gif]

I can't stop laughing at this, but Belichek does throw like a girl....although marv drops his panties like a fat steeler fan after 6 rolling rocks.  (NO, I wouldn't!)
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 11:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You better have a high powered offense to go with them because you are going to finish near the bottom of the leagu in points allowed.

The only reason people like the '05 defense is because it was paired with a high powered offense that bailed them out.  We gave up 30 points a game in our three matches with the Steelers and were lucky to win just one of them.

I don't know how you can even pretend to act like the playoff game is a fair comparison when discussing the defense or even the win-loss record with the Steelers that season because the defense would have been on the field a lot less, been playing from ahead longer, and entire game would have been different.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 07:06 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: How many times has this franchise made this many drastic changes (that seem to be improvements) at one time with apparently more on the way?

And resulted in how many playoff wins?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 12:30 PM)PhilHos Wrote: And resulted in how many playoff wins?

That’s what I mean- changes like this have never been done before, so we should see results.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 12:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That’s what I mean- changes like this have never been done before, so we should see results.

Yes, they have and, at best, have resulted in playoff APPEARANCES, but so far, still no playoff WINS and that's because I don't think Merv knows how to handle a playoff game. You'd think after 15 years and 7 shots, he'd figure out or even just luck into a win, but nope.

I'll give the Bengals a chance (what else can I do?) to see how these new coaches work out, but I'm reigning in my optimsim this year until they show me this isn't just another Merv year of sitting at home after the first week of the playoffs.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 12:17 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't know how you can even pretend to act like the playoff game is a fair comparison when discussing the defense or even the win-loss record with the Steelers that season because the defense would have been on the field a lot less, been playing from ahead longer, and entire game would have been different.

We gave up the same number of points to the Steelers in the playoffs (31) that we did in the regular season (29 per game).

But just ignore the playoiffs if you want to.  We were in the bottom ten of the elague in points allowed in '05.  Odell made a bunch of big plays to help the defense, but he was out of position a lot which hurt the defense.  He certainly was not the worst player on that defense, and he was not the only reason we gave up a lot of points, but he was not all that great either.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 12:49 PM)PhilHos Wrote:  I don't think Merv knows how to handle a playoff game. You'd think after 15 years and 7 shots, he'd figure out 

Especially since he won a Super Bowl with Baltimore. 
Reply/Quote
I think we needed a change at DC for sure. It is yet to be seen if it was the right guy though. I like that he requires
discipline from his players and that he really coaches up his Secondarys. There is a lot to like, i just want to see us
get much better at stopping the run and better at stopping teams on 3rd down.

The thing i don't like about Austin is pretty much that he is from Pitt like Marv.

I just hope he doesn't take these games off like Marv does cause he is a Steeler fan.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 11:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I can't stop laughing at this, but Belichek does throw like a girl....although marv drops his panties like a fat steeler fan after 6 rolling rocks.  (NO, I wouldn't!)
HHe looks like he's tossing a paper towel over dog poo.

Reply/Quote
I want the D to be good

Could care less if they play shitty without fear
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Especially since he won a Super Bowl with Baltimore. 

As a head coach with the Bengals?

I could care less what he did years ago with another team. And i have a feeling you don’t either. You just like arguing with people
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 12:49 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yes, they have and, at best, have resulted in playoff APPEARANCES, but so far, still no playoff WINS and that's because I don't think Merv knows how to handle a playoff game. You'd think after 15 years and 7 shots, he'd figure out or even just luck into a win, but nope.

I'll give the Bengals a chance (what else can I do?) to see how these new coaches work out, but I'm reigning in my optimsim this year until they show me this isn't just another Merv year of sitting at home after the first week of the playoffs.

When have changes of this magnitude and of the magnitude that seems to be coming ever happened before?
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2018, 01:30 AM)Housh Wrote: I want the D to be good

Could care less if they play shitty without fear

(01-18-2018, 01:31 AM)Housh Wrote: As a head coach with the Bengals?

I could care less what he did years ago with another team. And i have a feeling you don’t either. You just like arguing with people

*Couldn’t

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2018, 01:31 AM)Housh Wrote: As a head coach with the Bengals?

I am not arguing with anyone.  I was agreeing that Marvin should know what it takes to win a playoff game since he saw first hand what it took with the Ravens.

And what difference does it make if he was the head coach or the DC?  He was still there and saw what it took.  
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2018, 01:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not arguing with anyone.  I was agreeing that Marvin should know what it takes to win a playoff game since he saw first hand what it took with the Ravens.

And what difference does it make if he was the head coach or the DC?  He was still there and saw what it took.  

Seeing and doing are two VERY different things.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2018, 01:58 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Seeing and doing are two VERY different things.

Marvin should get some credit for that Raven defense. Yes, they had a couple HoFers, but that’s not always enough.

Reply/Quote