Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin says we can’t beat ourselves, more from his presser
So basically 95% of the d assistant coaches will remain. It doesn't sound like they really wanted to redo the D, but Guenther forced their hand somewhat.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Is it at all possible he would NOT want to lay out his entire defensive plan for next year and was just kinda speaking in generalities?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 03:35 PM)Joelist Wrote: I picked up the lack of commitment to being aggressive too. Here we go again with no pressure and pillow soft coverage...

Top five scoring defense in the league under Guenther from '14 through '17.

So thank goodness for "here we go again."
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 05:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Top five scoring defense in the league under Guenther from '14 through '17.

So thank goodness for "here we go again."

2017--16th in scoring defense.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
We weren't top five last year.

16th in PPG
26th in third down percentage (4 way tie at an atrocious 41%)
32nd in opponents TOP (partly the offenses fault but also a byproduct of the poor performance on third downs)
20th in Rushing YPC (4.2)
30th in opponents rush YPG (127.9)

Ironically we did finish 13th in opposing passer rating (82.9) and did get 41 sacks.

So yes low pressure and pillow soft coverage is a serious problem. The defense needs to get off the field with no points surrendered, not "bend but don't break" as all that does is put us behind the barrel in TOP terms.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 05:51 PM)McC Wrote: 2017--16th in scoring defense.

(01-09-2018, 06:02 PM)Joelist Wrote: We weren't top five last year.

16th in PPG
26th in third down percentage (4 way tie at an atrocious 41%)
32nd in opponents TOP (partly the offenses fault but also a byproduct of the poor performance on third downs)
20th in Rushing YPC (4.2)
30th in opponents rush YPG (127.9)

Ironically we did finish 13th in opposing passer rating (82.9) and did get 41 sacks.

So yes low pressure and pillow soft coverage is a serious problem. The defense needs to get off the field with no points surrendered, not "bend but don't break" as all that does is put us behind the barrel in TOP terms.

First of all, based on points allowed from 2014 through 2017 the Bengals had the #5 scoring defense in the league over that span.

Second, are you guys claiming that the drop off in our defense this year was due to a change in scheme from the previous years?  Seemed to me that the scheme did not change that dramatically.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 04:44 PM)sonofstat Wrote: mmm...not me.  

Hey its only an interview I guess but hardly sabre rattling stuff.  

seems pretty passive in the article saying he does not blitz much or man press coverage.  That plus 'don't beat ourselves' is pretty much the bend , don't break philosophy in a nutshell. 

From what i caught it sounds like he is willing to adjust, that is something.

We definately need to play more aggressive on Defense, less soft zone more man to man this is for damn sure.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 06:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: From what i caught it sounds like he is willing to adjust, that is something.

We definately need to play more aggressive on Defense, less soft zone more man to man this is for damn sure.

As far as blitzing goes, nobody is expecting Blitzburgh but if four aren't getting home and they're driving on you, maybe turn up the heat.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 07:13 PM)McC Wrote: As far as blitzing goes, nobody is expecting Blitzburgh but if four aren't getting home and they're driving on you, maybe turn up the heat.

That would make a lot of sense in most coaching circles..
Reply/Quote
Sorry, but I like McNuggets, as well as the Big Mac, Filet-O-Fish and, for dessert, two cheeseburgers. I only do the MickyD chow down once every 3 months, but it is outstanding. Now, don't trash my Bojangles, Skyline, and White Castle fix.

P.S. McDonald's "stole" the Big Mac recipe from Frisch's Big Boy (still the best).
Reply/Quote
Maybe he can turn Kripatric into a 1st round db? or at least start WJ3. I am willing to give the guy a chance. Why not. D fence was slipping this may revive it.

Only scary thing is our 32 ranked offence beat his defence. But any given Sunday.

So I am gearing up for 2018 season and a great big Who dey to all.

We can wish and complain all we want but until we buy the bengals we just have to grin and bear it.
Reply/Quote