Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australians vote in favor of allowing same sex marriages
Or "marriages" as I like to call them.

The vote is completely non-binding but also overwhelming.  It is now up to elected officials to do the will of the people.

https://marriagesurvey.abs.gov.au/results/

Quote:National results

Response

Should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?

Of the eligible Australians who expressed a view on this question, the majority indicated that the law should be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry, with 7,817,247 (61.6%) responding Yes and 4,873,987 (38.4%) responding No. Nearly 8 out of 10 eligible Australians (79.5%) expressed their view.

All states and territories recorded a majority Yes response. 133 of the 150 Federal Electoral Divisions recorded a majority Yes response, and 17 of the 150 Federal Electoral Divisions recorded a majority No response.

Further information on response and participation within each state and territory is available through the menu.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Good for Australia
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-15-2017, 09:43 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Good for Australia

I have a friend who moved there a year or so ago with her husband after he had a nightmare experience with immigration officials in Texas.  She gives us updates on the social and political situation there from the inside looking out at the rest of the world.  One of those places I would love to visit but I don't think I could stand being in a plane that long.
(11-15-2017, 08:05 AM)GMDino Wrote: Or "marriages" as I like to call them.

The vote is completely non-binding but also overwhelming.  It is now up to elected officials to do the will of the people.

https://marriagesurvey.abs.gov.au/results/

Except it was specifically done to include same sex marriages so it's proper to specify that.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-15-2017, 10:12 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Except it was specifically done to include same sex marriages so it's proper to specify that.

Yes, it needs to be labeled that way for the purpose of discussing it.  
(11-15-2017, 09:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: I have a friend who moved there a year or so ago with her husband after he had a nightmare experience with immigration officials in Texas.  She gives us updates on the social and political situation there from the inside looking out at the rest of the world.  One of those places I would love to visit but I don't think I could stand being in a plane that long.

But, I thought we had open borders?
(11-15-2017, 10:34 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: But, I thought we had open borders?

He overstayed his work visa by a day.  He was doing work for a professor so...elite pinhead (amiright?) and clearly a danger to America.

Ended up in airport jail for a day or so.  Lots of wrangling with immigration officials and lawyers.

Long story short he went home and she went with him.  Then she came back and settled up their stuff and house and moved there.
(11-15-2017, 10:58 AM)GMDino Wrote: He overstayed his work visa by a day.  He was doing work for a professor so...elite pinhead (amiright?) and clearly a danger to America.

Ended up in airport jail for a day or so.  Lots of wrangling with immigration officials and lawyers.

Long story short he went home and she went with him.  Then she came back and settled up their stuff and house and moved there.

What about his work permit?
I assume this means the hurricanes blue-eyed Jesus has been sending to the USA will make a beeline for Australia?
I agree with putting it to a vote of the people.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-15-2017, 02:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree with putting it to a vote of the people.

I also agree.

I would also like a vote by state on whether we even need or want a gov marriage any longer.
(11-15-2017, 04:48 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I also agree.  

I would also like a vote by state on whether we even need or want a gov marriage any longer.

I didn't realize Libertarians believe rights are subject to a vote. 

(11-16-2017, 09:23 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I didn't realize Libertarians believe rights are subject to a vote. 

A gay marriage isn’t a right. Nor is a government marriage.
(11-16-2017, 10:49 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: A gay marriage isn’t a right.    Nor is a government marriage.

Tell that to the Libertarian candidate in the last two elections who said "There's no question unabashedly let's have marriage equality now, gay rights are constitutionally guaranteed."

(11-16-2017, 11:32 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Tell that to the Libertarian candidate in the last two elections who said "There's no question unabashedly let's have marriage equality now, gay rights are constitutionally guaranteed."

Lol Gary Johnson
Still no word from Hollodero on this. Must be lost in the Outback or something.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-16-2017, 11:38 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lol Gary Johnson

The man a plurality of party Libertarians chose two elections in a row to represent them in the Presidential election. 

(11-16-2017, 10:49 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: A gay marriage isn’t a right. Nor is a government marriage.

What type of marriage is right? The type you decide is right for others instead of the type they decide for themselves? How libertarian of you.
(11-16-2017, 11:48 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Still no word from Hollodero on this. Must be lost in the Outback or something.

Damn AUSTRIAN dingo got 'em
(11-16-2017, 08:30 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Damn AUSTRIAN dingo got 'em

LOL Probably got beat up by a Kangaroo!