Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austrian Bowl...
...if someone suffers so much from not seeing football that he wants to see just about anything:

Just in German, though

...our national Football league final.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I tried to watch some, but only saw a commercial advertisement, then black screen. Thanks for thinking of us.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 03:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I tried to watch some, but only saw a commercial advertisement, then black screen.  Thanks for thinking of us.

Oh. Instead of black screen, the game should appear (halftime right now though). Maybe not working with American IP. Sorry bout that, then.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 03:48 PM)hollodero Wrote: Oh. Instead of black screen, the game should appear (halftime right now though). Maybe not working with American IP. Sorry bout that, then.

Ok, I'll try again in a little while.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I do have a question. Is American rules football played in schools where you live, or is it only a club sport?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 03:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I do have a question.  Is American rules football played in schools where you live, or is it only a club sport?

Only a club sport. And don't get the wrong idea, most players do not even get paid, it actually costs them to play (travel costs and such). Pure amateur level with the exception of I think two players, that mostly come from the US to play here for little money.

There are no academies for football, as far as I know. Some schools might offer a little something, but I'm not sure, and even if it's most certainly not a pure football training. It's a fringe sport here, like pretty much everywhere in Europe.

That being said, Austria is amongst the top football nations in Europe, these guys have quite the enthusiasm for the sport. But no way they could ever get to the NFL out of an European league. Then again, there's a German guy named Moritz Böhringer who I guess got drafted last year, but that's the story of a century. If an Austrian wants to make it, he would have to go to the US at an early age (I think there is a lineman somewhere who might have a chance). Maybe a kicker could make it, but the times of Toni Fritsch are long gone, too.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 04:54 PM)hollodero Wrote:
Only a club sport. And don't get the wrong idea, most players do not even get paid, it actually costs them to play (travel costs and such).
Pure amateur level with the exception of I think two players, that mostly come from the US to play here for little money.

There are no academies for football, as far as I know. Some schools might offer a little something, but I'm not sure, and even if it's most certainly not a pure football training. It's a fringe sport here, like pretty much everywhere in Europe.

That being said, Austria is amongst the top football nations in Europe, these guys have quite the enthusiasm for the sport. But no way they could ever get to the NFL out of an European league. Then again, there's a German guy named Moritz Böhringer who I guess got drafted last year, but that's the story of a century. If an Austrian wants to make it, he would have to go to the US at an early age (I think there is a lineman somewhere who might have a chance). Maybe a kicker could make it, but the times of Toni Fritsch are long gone, too.

I can relate to that.  I played Semi-Pro (actually adult amateur) for about 8 seasons.  Was much fun, got to trade helmet paint with some seriously talented guys.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 05:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can relate to that.  I played Semi-Pro (actually adult amateur) for about 8 seasons.  Was much fun, got to trade helmet paint with some seriously talented guys.

Trade helmet paint... took me some minutes to get it :) - What position?
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 06:34 PM)hollodero Wrote: Trade helmet paint... took me some minutes to get it :) - What position?

Several.  On offense, I played the "skinny Guard", and some TE.  On defense, I played all of the front 7 positions, at some point or another.  Most time and enjoyment at Defensive End.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 06:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Several.  On offense, I played the "skinny Guard", and some TE.  On defense, I played all of the front 7 positions, at some point or another.  Most time and enjoyment at Defensive End.

Wow, offense and defense. In the same game?
Also, what is a skinny guard. Just a guard who isn't heavy?

And as a maybe fine conclusion: What was the best play you ever made.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2017, 11:32 AM)hollodero Wrote: Wow, offense and defense. In the same game?
Also, what is a skinny guard. Just a guard who isn't heavy?

And as a maybe fine conclusion: What was the best play you ever made.

Sad to say, there were a couple of occasions where I had no choice but to play the entire game;  Offense, Defense, Special Teams.  Typically, I would either play offense or defense, depending on how the roster looked at that particular moment.

Skinny Guard?  Yes, it is a Guard who isn't quite as heavy as a typical offensive lineman.  I had the strength and quickness to handle guys much larger than myself.  It was really an advantage on running plays like sweeps, and screen passes, as I was actually faster than our Fullback.

Best play ever?  Two come to mind.  One was a QB sack from the DE position where I just sort of ran over the QB, and snatched the ball out of his hands, as I was running him over.  Probably my most prideful play ever was a pancake block on a massive DT.  We scored the go ahead TD on that play, which propelled us to the League Championship game.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2017, 04:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Skinny Guard?  Yes, it is a Guard who isn't quite as heavy as a typical offensive lineman.  I had the strength and quickness to handle guys much larger than myself.  It was really an advantage on running plays like sweeps, and screen passes, as I was actually faster than our Fullback.

So why weren't you the fullback?

(07-30-2017, 04:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Best play ever?  Two come to mind.  One was a QB sack from the DE position where I just sort of ran over the QB, and snatched the ball out of his hands, as I was running him over.  Probably my most prideful play ever was a pancake block on a massive DT.  We scored the go ahead TD on that play, which propelled us to the League Championship game.

Those sound impressive.  ThumbsUp - I envy that. I never played a single down in my life. And I would have loved to be a linebacker...

...oh btw. Vienna won the Austrian Bowl. So I actually live in a city that has a title...   :andy:
Reply/Quote
Austria has the second best league in eruope when it comes to American football besides Germany. ( Japan probably has the best outside of North America though) So to win that league is pretty impressive.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 12:30 AM)J24 Wrote: Austria has the second best league in eruope when it comes to American football besides Germany. ( Japan probably has the best outside of North America though) So to win that league is pretty impressive.

Impressive, well, yes, I admire those guys. Given their possibilities and the circumstances I portrayed, they play quite a decent game of football. Every american college team would easily beat them, though, so everything is relative.
And regarding Germany, we sure will beat them again, like we used to some years ago. We held the No. 1 spot for quite some time, only recently lost it.
And Japan always beats Austria in tournaments Sad Those guys sure can play. As can Mexico and Canada.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 07:31 AM)hollodero Wrote: Impressive, well, yes, I admire those guys. Given their possibilities and the circumstances I portrayed, they play quite a decent game of football. Every american college team would easily beat them, though, so everything is relative.
And regarding Germany, we sure will beat them again, like we used to some years ago. We held the No. 1 spot for quite some time, only recently lost it.
And Japan always beats Austria in tournaments Sad Those guys sure can play. As can Mexico and Canada.
I think the game in Europe will expand quickly once and if the players are able to concentrate and able to make a living based off football alone. Which I don't think is as far off as it may seem. Right now the state of the game isn't that great in Europe compared to the US but it's further along than people realize at this point.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote