Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Autumn Equinox Mock
(10-11-2017, 12:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: IIRC people were concerned with the same issue with Mariota. He's been a quality QB though since entering the NFL. Because of that, I think the concern on Darnold might be less come draft day.

Yeah, I remember that was well.  It seemed that was the design of the Oregon offense at that time.  I don't think the same goes for what USC does on offense.

I keep watching Darnold THIS year and waiting to see a #1 overall type guy.  I'm not seeing it.  I saw it last year, but something seems off this year.

Not that it matters, because the Bengals seem to be playing themselves to an 8-8 type season.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 02:54 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yeah, I remember that was well.  It seemed that was the design of the Oregon offense at that time.  I don't think the same goes for what USC does on offense.

I keep watching Darnold THIS year and waiting to see a #1 overall type guy.  I'm not seeing it.  I saw it last year, but something seems off this year.

Not that it matters, because the Bengals seem to be playing themselves to an 8-8 type season.

I've been thinking the same. They are playing their way into the teens in terms of draft position. Definitely out of the Top 5.
Had they kept Zampese, I'd guess a high probability for a Top 5 pick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 02:54 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yeah, I remember that was well.  It seemed that was the design of the Oregon offense at that time.  I don't think the same goes for what USC does on offense.

I think it's one of two things:

1. He's bought into the hype and thinks he has to be Superman at all times to justify it.
2. He came off the bench last year and teams weren't prepared for him and now they are.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 03:32 PM)blt4584 Wrote: I think it's one of two things:

1. He's bought into the hype and thinks he has to be Superman at all times to justify it.
2. He came off the bench last year and teams weren't prepared for him and now they are.

I can definitely see that. If the top 2-3 QBs are all neck-and-neck and competing for that #1 overall draft pick, they could be trying to out-highlight each other.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 10:18 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Taking any QB is always going to be a risk (especially outside of the first round) because they are considered so critical to the success of the team.
I would only consider Barrett if I thought he could be the next Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott. Those two guys btw were also mid-round picks. Hardly anyone expected them to become good NFL QBs. They ended up working out, but it's extremely rare for a non-first round QB to actually be a good starting QB in the NFL.

I don't put JT Barrett on the same level as those guys when they came out of college. Barrett has never been quite the passer that both Wilson and Prescott were in college. With that said, he's on pace for his best statistical season, so he might be worth consideration for draft. I'd like to see how he does against the better Big 10 opponents first.
EDIT - He was not good against Oklahoma this year nor the last three games last year, so I don't have confidence he can win against the tougher competition consistently enough.

See I think he's better than Prescott was in college. In Oklahoma game he was getting used to new playcaller. Last year no offensive weapons and bad playcaling. Not sure if u have watched the games recently but the problem with that offense the same one that has existed since his rookie season is they didn't take deep shots and had no threats. It was all dink and dunk. They have a legitimate trio now in victor, Campbell, and Dixon. He's having a great season now. Ik it was against less than great competition, but if he continues this against good defenses, then I believe he should be in consideration. He hasn't even played in the second half last 3 weeks. It's due to actually having and taking deep shots. I would like him in round 4.oline first 3 rounds. He may even break the college td record. Just saying I prefer a qb in round 4 over a qb in round 1.
Reply/Quote