Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Avoid College Players Who Don't Play In Bowl Games
Any college player who is healthy but skips Bowl Games such as Rose Bowl and such for NFL Draft, should get a negative mark by NFL Teams. Not helping his team win a Bowl Game should be a Character Issue. If he quits on his College Team, he will quit on his Pro Team. If he takes off big games in College, he will take off big games in The Pros.

I'm not talking players with injuries. I'm talking about healthy players who skip College Bowl games and let their team down in a Big Game. That is a Character Issue. These type players, the Bengals don't need. These are not true Madden type Football players if they let their College teammates down by skipping a Bowl Game the others worked so hard to get to. If they are not Rose Bowl or Bowl Game players, what makes anyone think they are Super Bowl players.

NFL Owners, GMs, Coaches should put a giant check mark next to all healthy players who skip the college Bowl Games, as having a Character Issue. I am not talking about things like The Senior Bowl, because those are not their teammates the last few years. As they skip Bowl Games to save themselves for the NFL Draft, they let their college teammates down and show they are selfish players, not team players.

Joe Burrow was a team player in his college bowl games, for example.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
You would have to ignore most players with a first round grade not playing in the CFB Playoffs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow was in the middle of a perfect season and playing for a National championship. What a terrible example. :lol:

Sorry, but I’m not passing on an elite talent over not playing in a bowl game. I debated bfine about this stuff when all the players opted out of the entire season last year. Had teams taken guys off their boards for that they would have missed out on some absolute studs (Chase, Parsons, Slater, Sewell, etc). You can add Pitts as well, as he opted out for Florida’s bowl game.

Reply/Quote
Play in basically meaningless Bowl game and risk injury and possibly huge $$$$

Or opt out of meaningless Bowl game and insure shot at huge $$$$ hmmmm Hmm

In todays age of 60 Bowl games I don't blame them.
Reply/Quote
Absolutely not. The kids with high draft grades are risking millions by playing in a meaningless game. Unless they’re sitting out of the CFP who cares?

Look at the Pitt bowl game this year. QB sits out, early in the game the backup QB hurt his shoulder getting hit. Could have very well been a career derailing injury or cost a kid to fall from top 10 pick down to the 3rd round and millions of dollars. Plus 3rd round QB’s don’t get the same leash top 10 guys get. He struggles early and may never get another shot. No reason to risk any of that for his schools bragging rights.

Jaylon Smith played for ND a few years ago and got hurt and cost himself millions dropping out of the top 5-10 picks to the 2nd round.

That said, I think anyone who isn’t a solid first rounder should play. They get a lot of extra practice and a big bowl game can propel a player into the draft process and up draft boards.
Reply/Quote
Ohio State has an endowment of almost $7 billion. The pay out to the Big 10 for Ohio State playing in the Rose Bowl is over $60 million. If Ohio State wins they end their season on a “high note.” On one hand you’ve got over $60 million and on the other you have a “high note,” only one of those two have any tangible meaning. And it’s the hand with the money; because, ultimately, a “high note” is meaningless.

Jaylon Smith lost approximately $16 million in income due to his injury in the Rose Bowl. His loss of income insurance payment was reportedly $700,000 and he was only the fourth player to collect on such a policy. Did Notre Dame compensate him for sacrificing his body to win one for the Gipper? ****, no.

In life, what’s supposed to be your number one priority? Family. Right? Could you take care of your family with the $16 million Jaylon Smith lost due to injury? Of course, you could. A player prioritizing the financial security of his family over a pay day for a multi-billion dollar sports conference should never be held against them as a character flaw. Who the **** thinks taking care of your family is a character flaw? Who? That line of reasoning is archaic, at best.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 06:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Joe Burrow was in the middle of a perfect season and playing for a National championship. What a terrible example. LOL

Sorry, but I’m not passing on an elite talent over not playing in a bowl game. I debated bfine about this stuff when all the players opted out of the entire season last year. Had teams taken guys off their boards for that they would have missed out on some absolute studs (Chase, Parsons, Slater, Sewell, etc). You can add Pitts as well, as he opted out for Florida’s bowl game.

Actually bfine never said he'd take anyone off the board. He stated if they were close in talent he'd side with the player who laced them up. That has not changed. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I also forgot to mention coaches like Brian Kelly and Lincoln Riley abandon their teams for more money every season and I don’t hear fans or media pundits suggesting they be punished or question their character. I don’t hear Herbstreit questioning Brian Kelly’s love of football because he left Notre Dame high and dry and developed a fake southern accent at LSU.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 12:59 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I also forgot to mention coaches like Brian Kelly and Lincoln Riley abandon their teams for more money every season and I don’t hear fans or media pundits suggesting they be punished or question their character. I don’t hear Herbstreit questioning Brian Kelly’s love of football because he left Notre Dame high and dry and developed a fake southern accent at LSU.

Excuse me? Kelly is a piece of shit. Poaching UC's OC too. F'n dbag quit on more teams than any other head coach as far as I know.

But yea. Good points you have up there.

I can't really hold it against a player who is highly rated and opts out. But a guy that does play should probably get a check in the loves football box.
Reply/Quote
Borderline First Round QB Matt Corral injured in the Sugar Bowl.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 12:27 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually bfine never said he'd take anyone off the board. He stated if they were close in talent he'd side with the player who laced them up. That has not changed. 

That's fair.  It's not a character flaw that kids don't want to potentially lose millions over a bowl injury.  At the same time, it speaks highly of one's character to go back in the trenches with their teammates one more time.

However, I saw a ton of people going after LeVeon Bell a few years back for refusing to sign his franchise tag and potentially losing a big money contract with a lot more guaranteed money.  

I seriously wonder what people's reactions will be the first time a pending NFL UFA passes on the chump change playoff game check to protect themselves for FA.
Reply/Quote
Disagree with OP completely.  College football is not a job.  The NFL is a job - a really good job if you like that kind of work and can land it.  If a player is a likely first round lock, I see no logical reason to shame them for looking ahead to the pros.  

Imagine being in a position where you've worked hard enough to be in a position to put millions of guaranteed dollars in your pocket.  Who is anyone else to tell you from the outside that you need to risk that?  
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 01:27 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Excuse me? Kelly is a piece of shit. Poaching UC's OC too. F'n dbag quit on more teams than any other head coach as far as I know.

But yea. Good points you have up there.

I can't really hold it against a player who is highly rated and opts out. But a guy that does play should probably get a check in the loves football box.

Yep.  Kelly left because ND was his "dream job".  Fast forward and he bails on them too for L$U.

What a POS.

I don't care if the college player sits out for whatever reason but the NCAA really needs to put a stop to coaches ditching their team early.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 10:08 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yep.  Kelly left because ND was his "dream job".  Fast forward and he bails on them too for L$U.

What a POS.

I don't care if the college player sits out for whatever reason but the NCAA really needs to put a stop to coaches ditching their team early.

Brian Kelly was at Notre Dame for over a decade. He left Cincinnati after 4 years for a Power 5 Team and has now worked his way up to LSU one of the top College Football Programs in the country in the top Conference. 

Congrats to the guy.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 05:54 PM)kevin Wrote: Any college player who is healthy but skips Bowl Games such as Rose Bowl and such for NFL Draft, should get a negative mark by NFL Teams.  Not helping his team win a Bowl Game should be a Character Issue.  If he quits on his College Team, he will quit on his Pro Team.  If he takes off big games in College, he will take off big games in The Pros.  

I'm not talking players with injuries.  I'm talking about healthy players who skip College Bowl games and let their team down in a Big Game.  That is a Character Issue.  These type players, the Bengals don't need.  These are not true Madden type Football players if they let their College teammates down by skipping a Bowl Game the others worked so hard to get to.  If they are not Rose Bowl or Bowl Game players, what makes anyone think they are Super Bowl players.  

NFL Owners, GMs, Coaches should put a giant check mark next to all healthy players who skip the college Bowl Games, as having a Character Issue.  I am not talking about things like The Senior Bowl, because those are not their teammates the last few years.  As they skip Bowl Games to save themselves for the NFL Draft, they let their college teammates down and show they are selfish players, not team players.

lol. A guy playing for a national championship vs a guy playing in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 05:54 PM)kevin Wrote: Any college player who is healthy but skips Bowl Games such as Rose Bowl and such for NFL Draft, should get a negative mark by NFL Teams.  Not helping his team win a Bowl Game should be a Character Issue.  If he quits on his College Team, he will quit on his Pro Team.  If he takes off big games in College, he will take off big games in The Pros.  

I'm not talking players with injuries.  I'm talking about healthy players who skip College Bowl games and let their team down in a Big Game.  That is a Character Issue.  These type players, the Bengals don't need.  These are not true Madden type Football players if they let their College teammates down by skipping a Bowl Game the others worked so hard to get to.  If they are not Rose Bowl or Bowl Game players, what makes anyone think they are Super Bowl players.  

NFL Owners, GMs, Coaches should put a giant check mark next to all healthy players who skip the college Bowl Games, as having a Character Issue.  I am not talking about things like The Senior Bowl, because those are not their teammates the last few years.  As they skip Bowl Games to save themselves for the NFL Draft, they let their college teammates down and show they are selfish players, not team players.

Wild take.
Reply/Quote

Everyone else has posted my exact thoughts, but I heavily disagree with this. It isn't a character issue, it is a financial decision. Matt Corral is an example of what can happen. If they are playing for a national title, then sure. If they are playing in just a regular bowl? I don't care, sit out. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 12:30 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Everyone else has posted my exact thoughts, but I heavily disagree with this. It isn't a character issue, it is a financial decision. Matt Corral is an example of what can happen. If they are playing for a national title, then sure. If they are playing in just a regular bowl? I don't care, sit out. 

It appears Corral's injury is minor and I doubt he hurt his draft stock with his decision. There's a very good chance he improved it:
https://thespun.com/sec/mississippi/x-ray-results-are-in-for-ole-miss-qb-matt-corral

Quote:According to David Ubben of The Athletic, Kiffin revealed that Corral’s X-ray came back negative. The quarterback is scheduled to undergo further evaluation and testing, but seems to have passed the first major barrier....

Corral’s presence was a remarkable sight to see, especially in a year where many key players opted out of bowl games. After the end of the regular season, the Ole Miss quarterback explained why he wanted to suit up and play for his team one last time in the Sugar Bowl.

“I mean, it was just my teammates … I never questioned it … If I was them [Ole Miss teammates], in their shoes and they had a quarterback in the same position … I just couldn’t live with what they would think of me,” Corral said prior to Saturday’s game. “Like just leaving and just being like ‘alright that was the last game’ and nobody knowing that was the last game.”

Just ask yourself WWBD...What Would Brady Do
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

So, your plan is to not draft the talented, smart guys?  Good plan! 

Bowl games are meaningless money grabs save for the CFP.  The players get that.  Some fans seem a bit behind.  

For guys whi are going to play next year in college, who are not gonna get drafted, or are low level prospects (not risking big money), or who want to roll the dice and try to improve their draft stock, play on. 

But for those who are locked into making millions if they are healthy in the spring, sitting out is the smart move. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 01:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It appears Corral's injury is minor and I doubt he hurt his draft stock with his decision. There's a very good chance he improved it:
https://thespun.com/sec/mississippi/x-ray-results-are-in-for-ole-miss-qb-matt-corral

Just ask yourself WWBD...What Would Brady Do

That's great, I'm glad to hear it. The overall point is a career altering injury could happen. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu in 2014 is an example of this which immediately comes to mind as an Oregon fan. First round graded corner, non-contact injury practicing for the Rose Bowl and he dropped to the 7th round, out of the NFL in two years. Now, his practice was for the CFP, so it is a different scenario but the overall point is that a career altering injury could happen and I personally don't care if a player sits out for a bowl other than the CFP. 

Either way, it is just an interesting discussion - I don't think there is a right or wrong, necessarily. 
Reply/Quote