Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Avoid College Players Who Don't Play In Bowl Games
[Image: 20110730__20110731_A18_SP31CCSHARPE.Ap1_.jpg]

That’s Shannon Sharpe’s childhood home. I can’t imagine looking down my nose at a college football player for sitting out the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl because he is looking out for his family’s future instead of a college athletic conference’s pay day or a network’s ratings.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 05:54 PM)kevin Wrote: Any college player who is healthy but skips Bowl Games such as Rose Bowl and such for NFL Draft, should get a negative mark by NFL Teams. Not helping his team win a Bowl Game should be a Character Issue. If he quits on his College Team, he will quit on his Pro Team. If he takes off big games in College, he will take off big games in The Pros.

I'm not talking players with injuries. I'm talking about healthy players who skip College Bowl games and let their team down in a Big Game. That is a Character Issue. These type players, the Bengals don't need. These are not true Madden type Football players if they let their College teammates down by skipping a Bowl Game the others worked so hard to get to. If they are not Rose Bowl or Bowl Game players, what makes anyone think they are Super Bowl players.

NFL Owners, GMs, Coaches should put a giant check mark next to all healthy players who skip the college Bowl Games, as having a Character Issue. I am not talking about things like The Senior Bowl, because those are not their teammates the last few years. As they skip Bowl Games to save themselves for the NFL Draft, they let their college teammates down and show they are selfish players, not team players.

Joe Burrow was a team player in his college bowl games, for example.

I kind of feel the same way but I would only consider it a tiny knock on a player. You can’t expect every player to risk millions playing in a game (especially if it’s not for the championship). But I definitely respect the guys that will risk it to support their team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 05:54 PM)kevin Wrote: Any college player who is healthy but skips Bowl Games such as Rose Bowl and such for NFL Draft, should get a negative mark by NFL Teams.  Not helping his team win a Bowl Game should be a Character Issue.  If he quits on his College Team, he will quit on his Pro Team.  If he takes off big games in College, he will take off big games in The Pros.  

I'm not talking players with injuries.  I'm talking about healthy players who skip College Bowl games and let their team down in a Big Game.  That is a Character Issue.  These type players, the Bengals don't need.  These are not true Madden type Football players if they let their College teammates down by skipping a Bowl Game the others worked so hard to get to.  If they are not Rose Bowl or Bowl Game players, what makes anyone think they are Super Bowl players.  

NFL Owners, GMs, Coaches should put a giant check mark next to all healthy players who skip the college Bowl Games, as having a Character Issue.  I am not talking about things like The Senior Bowl, because those are not their teammates the last few years.  As they skip Bowl Games to save themselves for the NFL Draft, they let their college teammates down and show they are selfish players, not team players.

How dare you not risk your health and future earnings for our corporate overlords' sponsored games/an organization that didn't allow you to earn money until the Supreme Court forced them to!

Character issues!
Reply/Quote
Didnt Chase skip all of last year, biding his time for the draft? Yeah that turned out badly for the schmucks that took him..
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 05:12 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: [Image: 20110730__20110731_A18_SP31CCSHARPE.Ap1_.jpg]

That’s Shannon Sharpe’s childhood home. I can’t imagine looking down my nose at a college football player for sitting out the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl because he is looking out for his family’s future instead of a college athletic conference’s pay day or a network’s ratings.

Eh, it's a bit of a fixer-upper...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Would you care if someone opted out of the Pro Bowl?
Because a bowl game that isn't part of the CFP is basically the same thing.
You don't get any title for it.
No one's going to remember or care that you won it years down the road.
The most you get is some company-sponsored swag.

Look at it this way - By a player skipping their bowl game to avoid risk of injury as they prepare for the draft, it allows for another player behind them to play instead. That's going to be an extra development game in prep for next season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 02:54 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: That's great, I'm glad to hear it. The overall point is a career altering injury could happen. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu in 2014 is an example of this which immediately comes to mind as an Oregon fan. First round graded corner, non-contact injury practicing for the Rose Bowl and he dropped to the 7th round, out of the NFL in two years. Now, his practice was for the CFP, so it is a different scenario but the overall point is that a career altering injury could happen and I personally don't care if a player sits out for a bowl other than the CFP. 

Either way, it is just an interesting discussion - I don't think there is a right or wrong, necessarily. 

I don't have much of an opinion on this either way either. They're kids, and I don't spend too much time worrying about their thought process or financial situation... But is holding the shining trophy after the CFP less meaningless than winning the Rose Bowl?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Players Choice but I would rather they not get hurt in a bowl game if they can avoid it. Now if they are in the playoffs thats a different story. But bowl games outside of that dont mean much except more $$$$ for the schools which the players dont see
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 06:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Joe Burrow was in the middle of a perfect season and playing for a National championship. What a terrible example. LOL

Sorry, but I’m not passing on an elite talent over not playing in a bowl game. I debated bfine about this stuff when all the players opted out of the entire season last year. Had teams taken guys off their boards for that they would have missed out on some absolute studs (Chase, Parsons, Slater, Sewell, etc). You can add Pitts as well, as he opted out for Florida’s bowl game.

This should have ended the thread.

The list of guys who sat out a season or opted out last season and killed it this year is impressive. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 05:54 PM)kevin Wrote: Any college player who is healthy but skips Bowl Games such as Rose Bowl and such for NFL Draft, should get a negative mark by NFL Teams.  Not helping his team win a Bowl Game should be a Character Issue.  If he quits on his College Team, he will quit on his Pro Team.  If he takes off big games in College, he will take off big games in The Pros.  

I'm not talking players with injuries.  I'm talking about healthy players who skip College Bowl games and let their team down in a Big Game.  That is a Character Issue.  These type players, the Bengals don't need.  These are not true Madden type Football players if they let their College teammates down by skipping a Bowl Game the others worked so hard to get to.  If they are not Rose Bowl or Bowl Game players, what makes anyone think they are Super Bowl players.  

NFL Owners, GMs, Coaches should put a giant check mark next to all healthy players who skip the college Bowl Games, as having a Character Issue.  I am not talking about things like The Senior Bowl, because those are not their teammates the last few years.  As they skip Bowl Games to save themselves for the NFL Draft, they let their college teammates down and show they are selfish players, not team players.

I would hate to see a draft board without those guys on it.  If you needed a WR would you really pass on Jamar Chase again?  Hell, he quit on his team for an entire year!!!  
Reply/Quote
Did anyone else hear Kirby Smart ask Nick Saban about Jameson Williams and Saban answered "They think it's an ACL."?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 02:06 AM)Synric Wrote: Did anyone else hear Kirby Smart ask Nick Saban about Jameson Williams and Saban answered "They think it's an ACL."?

Yes I did hear that. I was surprised he was walking around afterwards that knee bent around 2 different times. One on that initial step that made him fall and again when he was landing. If he gets away with a partial tear or something he’s lucky.
Reply/Quote
I didn't know we had Skip Bayless on here making threads....what an absurd hot take.

these athletes are making professional/financial decisions...whatever they decide is what we should support.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote