Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B. Hamilton worth ?
What is BH's real worth on the market ?

What is another team going to give up for a career .245 hitter ? One who's BA has dropped from .260 to .235 in the last two seasons. A guy that is at best a very average bunter, walks very little, and strikes out way to much for a non power hitter.

His OBP is .298, pretty much awful for a leadoff/speed/ base stealing guy. He doesn't really get extra base hits even for his speed because of his lack of power. He continues to insist on switch hitting even though he's not very good at righty.

And he's world class on defense.

But what is a team going to give up for what amounts to a bench, late inning defense guy. I think at best he's a guy you could package with somebody else for a decent pitching prospect.

I highly doubt anybody is going to give up anything even slightly resembling a good pitcher for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree B.Hamilton's best asset is his defense ability in late innings. A few teams might be interested in him for that. I don't think the Reds get more than a good prospect.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
The guy doesn’t really steal that many bases anymore, so he’s basically a defensive player only. He’s probably only worth like 3-4 mil a year, of course the Reds will pay him double his value since they have so much money to spend.
Reply/Quote
He might be worth a Homer Bailey for a A ball team.. That's about it.  I gave up on Billy a long time ago  but who knows? Perhaps Bell and company can unlock his potential to be traded. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Billy is an enigma. He is still young, but the last two seasons h has gotten worse instead of better.

In 2016 he hit .260 and stole and stole 58 bases in just 411 at bats. If he still stole bases at that rate he would have had 71 last year instead of just 34.

His defense is so amazing that I would love to keep him in CF if he could hit .260 and steal 70 bags a year, but his offense is so bad we can't keep him just for defense. Last season there were 201 MLB players with at least 425 plate appearances. Hamilton ranked 195 out of 201 in OPS (slg% + ob%)
Reply/Quote
I know Hamilton had a down year regarding SB's and BA but he is an elite defensive outfield and some team may gamble if they think they can fix his batting approach on getting on base. Trammell is a good prospect and I have watched him in person. If they move Hamilton, they will probably move Schebler to full-time center field until Trammell is ready in a year or two.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Billy is an enigma. He is still young, but the last two seasons h has gotten worse instead of better.

In 2016 he hit .260 and stole and stole 58 bases in just 411 at bats. If he still stole bases at that rate he would have had 71 last year instead of just 34.

His defense is so amazing that I would love to keep him in CF if he could hit .260 and steal 70 bags a year, but his offense is so bad we can't keep him just for defense. Last season there were 201 MLB players with at least 425 plate appearances. Hamilton ranked 195 out of 201 in OPS (slg% + ob%)

Not to say, "I told you so," but...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Can the new batting coach turn him around ?
Reply/Quote
Reds just announced a trade of Billy Hamilton for Homer Bailey.. World Series is a lock now!  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote