Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B/R Scouting Dept NFL Comparison - Darnell Washington
Bleacher Report took a stab at trying to come up with comparisons for some NFL Draft Prospects, and here's what they came up with for the Georgia TE.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10070870-pro-player-comparisons-for-notable-2023-nfl-draft-prospects
Quote:Big Board Rank: No. 24 overall (No. 2 tight end)

Pro Player Comparison: Athletic Marcedes Lewis

What comparisons can you make for a 6'7", 264-pound tight end with elite athleticism?

Washington is a fairly unique prospect in that there aren't many tight ends who could become legitimate weapons in the passing game but could also probably put on 30 pounds and become an elite offensive tackle.

Derrik Klassen didn't attempt to come up with a direct player comparison, putting an "athletic" Marcedes Lewis comp to Washington.

It's high praise and a revealing look into his vast potential. Lewis has carved out a 17-year career in the league because of his blocking ability. In his prime, he was a decent receiving option, his best season as a receiver included 58 receptions for 700 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2010.

Now consider that Washington could be every bit as good a blocker as Lewis and has the athleticism to develop into an even better receiver.

Lewis's relative athletic score ranked 58th out of all tight end prospects from 1987 to 2006, per Kent Lee Platte of Pro Football Network. Washington ranks 11th among all tight end prospects from 1987 to 2023.

The sky is the limit for Washington.

They really couldn't come up with a super-close comparison, so they felt Washington could be a great blocker like Marcedes Lewis, but even more athletic. As they noted, Lewis had put up some good receiving seasons 2009-2012 with JAX (550 yards average), but he wasn't near the athlete Washington is. They really think Washington's ceiling as a pass catcher could be (vastly) higher than Lewis, potentially putting him consistently in the 700+ yard range if he lives up to his potential.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I’m really Jonesing for Washington at 28! Excuse the dated slang, I’m old.
Reply/Quote
Washington has been a mock draft favorite of mine. Every time I run a mock and he's available at #28, I just can't help but to select him, as his potential is to become the best perhaps one of the best overall blocking and receiving TEs seen in quite some time. When imagine him with Joe Burrow and the current Bengals offense, I get this vision of Washington on the left sideline, Higgins on the right with Chase and Boyd creating mismatches in the middle of the field.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
There are really no other TEs in this draft
That has the intangibles that Washington brings
Huge radius...catches with his hands..one of the
Tallest TEs in the draft. Played at a high level in
A premier conference. The game isn't too big for him.
Can someone name me another 6'7 TE , 260 LBs
That is a real bulldozer in the running game.

Too me TEs like Kincaid, Mayer, Allen, aren't that much different from one another. But Washington stands out.
His measurables are off the charts
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 02:48 PM)impactplaya Wrote: There are really no other TEs in this draft
That has the intangibles that Washington brings
Huge radius...catches with his hands..one of the
Tallest TEs in the draft. Played at a high level in
A premier conference. The game isn't too big for him.
Can someone name me another 6'7 TE , 260 LBs
That is a real bulldozer in the running game.

Too me TEs like Kincaid, Mayer, Allen, aren't that much different from one another. But Washington stands out.
His measurables are off the charts

FWIW, Mayer is a better blocker than about any other TE in the early rounds other than Washington.
Mayer has the higher floor, but perhaps lower ceiling as a pass catcher due to Washington's better speed and athleticism.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Darnell Washington is my favorite TE in this Draft for sure because of all that has been mentioned. I also like Mayer and
would be more comfortable trading back and getting one of these two early in the 2nd, but I am not against either at 28
if Bijan, Banks and Darnell Wright are gone.

I think DW would help our team out a lot as a rookie, just with his blocking and helping out the OL. I have no idea what
Burrow could make of him as a pass catching TE. His upside is Gronkish.
Reply/Quote