Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBP
(03-03-2016, 02:51 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Shawn Williams is the difference in why we need to focus on Marvin Jones over George Iloka.

I'd be completely fine with Nelson and Marvin Jones being the majority of the team's FA investment.

I still think Iloka is more important to our team than Marvin Jones. 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 01:44 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. He didn't suck against other teams last year, as evidenced by the 92.2 rating. He had easily his worst performance against the Bengals. Those are facts. "He sucks" is not fact.

2. Right. Doing your job doesn't count when your opponent is bad. Got it.

3. We were giving up short throws with a 2 touchdown lead. You just don't get it.

4. Ok. In the 2nd Steelers game, our D gave up 19 points (not counting 2 TDs that came directly from McCarron INTs). They held Ben to 0 TDs and 1 INT. The secondary again did a fine job. Especially considering the circumstances.

5. Ok. I kind of agree with you here. I wouldn't mind bringing back Iloka and sliding Williams over, but honestly I'm torn on Nelson vs Iloka. As long as we keep one, I'm good.

6. You've just spent your last several posts painting Williams in a bad light by suggesting there was a big drop off when he was in. Now you're saying he did a good job filling in?  Nervous
1.) he still sucks
2.) it wasn't impressive.
3.) it just wasn't the second half  the guy torched us the whole game.
4.) They were 8-14 on third downs that game and gave up 76% on completions.
5.) we agree to an extent/
6.) I never said Williams was bad I was just pointing out we missed Iloka.
7.) lets just agree to disagree were just going to ruin this thread with this back and fourth.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 01:46 AM)magikod Wrote: I still think Iloka is more important to our team than Marvin Jones. 

I think you can make a strong argument for this point.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 03:26 AM)J24 Wrote: 1.) he still sucks
2.) it wasn't impressive.
3.) it just wasn't the second half  the guy torched us the whole game.
4.) They were 8-14 on third downs that game and gave up 76% on completions.
5.) we agree to an extent/
6.) I never said Williams was bad I was just pointing out we missed Iloka.
7.) lets just agree to disagree were just going to ruin this thread with this back and fourth.

1. Great argument
2. Holding an NFL offense to 3 points is always impressive. Period.
3. "Torched" us, yet threw zero TDs and lost 36-21.
4. 0 TDs and 1 INT, one of Ben's worst games of the year based on rating.
5. yay.
6. right
7. Agreed and this will be my last post with you. It's tough to debate such fine logic.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I've said in another post/thread that I think we have been really fortunate with the quality of our safety play considering the ridiculously low investment we made for Nelson and Iloka (cheap trade and 5th round?).

For the past 3 playoff seasons the pair of them have virtually been ever -present and productive.

Personally I'd love both of them to be back.

On the surface Iloka should be the priority - younger, room to improve, and theoretically less injury risk (Nelson has been bomb proof for years though).

HOWEVER....whilst everyone says Shaun Williams is a ready made replacement is that not only true for Iloka??

I know Marvin Lewis says theres no such thing for him as a strong/free safety but the fact is on every obvious passing down Reggie is the deep center fielder, over the top cover and getting INT's.

Iloka seems to be in the box more and smacking anyone crossing the middle....that seems more akin to Shaun Williams to me.

Anyone an expert on FS.vs.SS play??? to my mind Williams is more a replacement for Iloka so if you put a gun to my head, on that basis, I would go with Reggie if we only kept one. If Williams has the range for deep center fielder then fine...we're good letting Reggie go.
Reply/Quote
I'm a fan of Nelson. Watching him become the player he is has been awesome. He has really developed into a fine S for this team. However, if we can only chose between him or Iloka, you've got to go with Iloka. Iloka is younger and has much more upside. Having Iloka and Williams as the safeties doesn't sound bad either. Obviously there would be some drop off as Williams needs seasoning and development, but I think that could still be a solid duo.

On the offensive side, I am a fan of both Sanu and Jones. I would love to keep both. If Jones bails, I would never overpay Sanu. I'd rather lose both and spend that money retaining defensive playmakers than lose Jones and overpay on Sanu. Even losing both, we still have Green and Eifert. Look for a vet in FA or go after a couple in the draft. While not ideal, Burkhead can fill in at WR in a pinch while the rookies get adjusted. Again, not saying that is the best course of action, but there are options should we lose both WRs in FA.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote