Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BENGALS 9-13 Chargers, 9-17 at Browns
Last I read was no preseason.  If that is still the case, Bengals go into these games ice cold in Preseason Mode.

We see one problem that Bengals play Sunday and again on Thursday.  But then they don't play for 10 days.  

Now the Chargers come to Cincy from LA.  Then Bengals go to Cleveland.  That is a PLUS because Bengals never leave Ohio in travel. That will help 2 games in 5 days.

The games will be Preseason sloppy.  They would just have to be.  You can practice, but games are different. Plus Bengals are not a veteran Super Bowl type team, not even close.  They have had back to back awful seasons and are in total rebuilding mode in new head coach, new quarterback, new all over.

There are players that coaches need to see in game action off the bench just like Preseason.  It is not as hard as it sounds.  I watched Paul Brown with the 1968 expansion Bengals.  He did not mass substitute 1st string, 2nd string, because they were in Build Mode, worse than Re-Build Mode.  Paul Brown wanted to see what players did with the 1st string and he said you learn nothing about them on 2nd string only.  So Paul Brown would give players a chance to go in with the 1st string only 1 or 2 at a time, no more.  This could be a way to see different players with no Preseason.

Then there is fatigue which Jim Brown said even the best players get.  Fatigue will be high because these players are not stretched out to play 4 quarters with no Preseason. Players will have to come in off the bench.  Add in playing Sunday and Thursday. Subs will be needed. Look, in a rebuild, the coaches need to see all these players on the field and get some game film on them, see who can do what.  Every draft pick is just a guess.  Darts at a dart board on draft day.  They need some game reps.  The whole team will need some game reps.

So they will go in pretty sloppy like Preseason Game 1, except the score does count.  That is the giant problem coaches have.  I think it will be better for coaches in Week 3 and Bengals have 10 days after Week 2.  It could be playing 2 games in Ohio real fast may be a blessing in disguise. Get these 2 sloppy Preseason Mode games over with fast.  Any wins are a bonus.

So the one position you may question a sub is quarterback.  Plus rookie needs his reps.  He will find the NFL much faster, the defenses harder.  Plus the Bengals O Line may still be not so good early on.   It is not normal, but they may want to give the #2 QB some reps also, because Covid no preseason is not normal. The problem is over the years teams have tried going back and forth with QB's in game and it doesn't work. It throws the timing way off too much. Dallas once tried changing QB every play, what a mess that was. Ohio State has changed QB every 2 series, but that is college, not NFL. Not sure how or if they will get #2 QB a few game reps as in Preseason.

So I expect Bengals and all the NFL to look preseason sloppy the first 2 weeks and OK week 3.   Bengals in rebuild mode after 2 awful seasons makes it very hard on coaches to have no preseason.  THE GOOD NEWS is in the first 2 weeks, The Bengals never leave Ohio.  So travel not a big factor.  I'm not expecting miracles start of season.  It is a rebuild.  Much like Mean Machine Burt Reynolds said with little practice, " The main thing is protect the Superstar ".   So O Line, don't let Joe Heisman Burrow SUPERSTAR get hit on every play.  

To anybody already hoping for no wins and 2021 Draft, NO...Lets get some wins this year and start to see the rebuild taking shape on the field. I always remember Forrest Gregg first year and team won 6 games but me and my friends could see Bengals were blocking better, tackling better. This led to next year of Super Bowl...GO BENGALS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 03:03 AM)kevin Wrote: Last I read was no preseason.  If that is still the case, Bengals go into these games ice cold in Preseason Mode.

We see one problem that Bengals play Sunday and again on Thursday.  But then they don't play for 10 days.  

Now the Chargers come to Cincy from LA.  Then Bengals go to Cleveland.  That is a PLUS because Bengals never leave Ohio in travel. That will help 2 games in 5 days.

The games will be Preseason sloppy.  They would just have to be.  You can practice, but games are different. Plus Bengals are not a veteran Super Bowl type team, not even close.  They have had back to back awful seasons and are in total rebuilding mode in new head coach, new quarterback, new all over.

There are players that coaches need to see in game action off the bench just like Preseason.  It is not as hard as it sounds.  I watched Paul Brown with the 1968 expansion Bengals.  He did not mass substitute 1st string, 2nd string, because they were in Build Mode, worse than Re-Build Mode.  Paul Brown wanted to see what players did with the 1st string and he said you learn nothing about them on 2nd string only.  So Paul Brown would give players a chance to go in with the 1st string only 1 or 2 at a time, no more.  This could be a way to see different players with no Preseason.

Then there is fatigue which Jim Brown said even the best players get.  Fatigue will be high because these players are not stretched out to play 4 quarters with no Preseason. Players will have to come in off the bench.  Add in playing Sunday and Thursday. Subs will be needed. Look, in a rebuild, the coaches need to see all these players on the field and get some game film on them, see who can do what.  Every draft pick is just a guess.  Darts at a dart board on draft day.  They need some game reps.  The whole team will need some game reps.

So they will go in pretty sloppy like Preseason Game 1, except the score does count.  That is the giant problem coaches have.  I think it will be better for coaches in Week 3 and Bengals have 10 days after Week 2.  It could be playing 2 games in Ohio real fast may be a blessing in disguise. Get these 2 sloppy Preseason Mode games over with fast.  Any wins are a bonus.

So the one position you may question a sub is quarterback.  Plus rookie needs his reps.  He will find the NFL much faster, the defenses harder.  Plus the Bengals O Line may still be not so good early on.   It is not normal, but they may want to give the #2 QB some reps also, because Covid no preseason is not normal. The problem is over the years teams have tried going back and forth with QB's in game and it doesn't work.  It throws the timing way off too much. Dallas once tried changing QB every play, what a mess that was. Ohio State has changed QB every 2 series, but that is college, not NFL.  Not sure how or if they will get #2 QB a few game reps as in Preseason.

So I expect Bengals and all the NFL to look preseason sloppy the first 2 weeks and OK week 3.   Bengals in rebuild mode after 2 awful seasons makes it very hard on coaches to have no preseason.  THE GOOD NEWS is in the first 2 weeks, The Bengals never leave Ohio.  So travel not a big factor.  I'm not expecting miracles start of season.  It is a rebuild.  Much like Mean Machine Burt Reynolds said with little practice, " The main thing is protect the Superstar ".   So O Line, don't let Joe Heisman Burrow SUPERSTAR get hit on every play.  

To anybody already hoping for no wins and 2021 Draft, NO...Lets get some wins this year and start to see the rebuild taking shape on the field.  I always remember Forrest Gregg first year and team won 6 games but me and my friends could see Bengals were blocking better, tackling better.  This led to next year of Super Bowl...GO BENGALS.

Saw article yesterday if college football starts to collapse around us.. NFL is already looking at moving some games to Saturday.  I could see them move a team playing the following week on a Thurs to Saturday games the previous week.  So Bengals and Browns would play first game on Saturday giving extra day for Thursday game. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 10:50 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Saw article yesterday if college football starts to collapse around us.. NFL is already looking at moving some games to Saturday.  I could see them move a team playing the following week on a Thurs to Saturday games the previous week.  So Bengals and Browns would play first game on Saturday giving extra day for Thursday game. 

Maybe Thursday games should be moved to Saturday if no college games. Maybe garbage can Monday Night football this season only also. Also Sunday Night football. These games going past midnight, baseball has cut those out this year. NFL daytime sunshine mostly open air stadiums. Some domed stadiums, but most are open air...  Thanks for the Info.   

Either way, Bengals don't leave Ohio until 9-27.   That may help a lot with all NFL starting with no preseason and teams still in preseason mode even though the games count.  No preseason really hurts a rebuilding team like worst record Bengals more than Super Bowl Chiefs, but not leaving Ohio until 9-27 may help.  The first game at home and very little travel to Cleveland as Bengals get some game reps in. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 10:50 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Saw article yesterday if college football starts to collapse around us.. NFL is already looking at moving some games to Saturday.  I could see them move a team playing the following week on a Thurs to Saturday games the previous week.  So Bengals and Browns would play first game on Saturday giving extra day for Thursday game. 

Love the thought of Saturday games. Would prefer night games though. If they do this and it gets good ratings, I see them finding a way to stick with it. Saturday day games would suck. Wife would always have some sort of reason why we gotta do something and I would miss half the season.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 02:18 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Love the thought of Saturday games. Would prefer night games though. If they do this and it gets good ratings, I see them finding a way to stick with it. Saturday day games would suck. Wife would always have some sort of reason why we gotta do something and I would miss half the season.

With college football coming back whenever, and everything else going on Saturday nights, I think it's too much competition. They'll stick to Sundays and Thursdays where their only competition is NASCAR.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 04:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: With college football coming back whenever, and everything else going on Saturday nights, I think it's too much competition. They'll stick to Sundays and Thursdays where their only competition is NASCAR.

That's the crappy part about Sunday night games. Specially when Bengals play. We usually party every game but when its late? Well, gotta work in the morning so doesnt happen.

Reply/Quote

Beat me to it.  I was thinking the same thing.  Makes a ton of sense.  NFL will be raking in some serious advertising dollars this year with no college football.  
Reply/Quote
It looks like all college football has not canceled. So Bengals 2nd game is still set for Thursday.

So Bengals will play Sunday and Thursday with no preseason warm-up. I still say the one UP SIDE is Bengals never leave Ohio. There is not a ton of travel to going to Cleveland.

Bengals have little time to look at game film and make adjustments after Chargers game, right back on the field Thursday, Wednesday probable travel day.

I still think NFL will look preseason sloppy first 2 weeks, just as baseball looked preseason sloppy in first weeks back. I'm not expecting Bengals first 2 games to be things of beauty, but GO BENGALS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
We will see, all I know is that Burrow is a guy who loves to prepare more than any other...
Reply/Quote