Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BENGALS BLOCKING
(07-18-2017, 10:09 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I quit reading after you said MB refused to pay Whitt and Zeitler. He chose not o pay them because he would have been over paying them by 25% which is just bad business.

Exactly!  And Whit is going to be 36 during the season...you know the old saying about Father Time being undefeated?  They drafted Fisher and Og for a reason...they have to produce.  It is on Piano Man to get the most out of them.  There should be no excuses this time.  Third year, healthy, full off-season of training....

But to your original point, a lot of fans liked these guys, but signing them would have come back to haunt the Bengals when it comes time to extend Burfict, Eifert, Green, etc. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 10:25 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That could very well happen. Sometimes it takes a Tackle 3-4 years to 'get it'. Plus, he had the 'redshirt' year for most of his rookie season.

Guys like Levin Jones and even Andre Smith took a few years.

That said, if Ced looks bad this season...my hope for him will be less.

That's true, but the Bengals can't wait that long, as their window with their current core could close within the next couple years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 10:33 AM)ochocincos Wrote: That's true, but the Bengals can't wait that long, as their window with their current core could close within the next couple years.

I think the point was being made Ced and Jake will be in year #3, not that it would take them 3 or 4 more years to produce good results.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 11:02 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think the point was being made Ced and Jake will be in year #3, not that it would take them 3 or 4 more years to produce good results.

I know. My point was that he needs it to click this year because if he struggles again, the Bengals likely don't make the playoffs and the window is a year closer to closing without anything of value to show for it.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 10:33 AM)ochocincos Wrote: That's true, but the Bengals can't wait that long, as their window with their current core could close within the next couple years.

I honestly believe that "the window" isn't going to close anytime soon. Players now are in way better shape than 15 years ago and longevity is greater. Also we tend to sign our core to longer contracts keeping them here. 
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 11:19 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I know. My point was that he needs it to click this year because if he struggles again, the Bengals likely don't make the playoffs and the window is a year closer to closing without anything of value to show for it.

I think Ced and Jake need to be good in 2017. If they are, I think our OL will surprise the league and our own fan base. They don't need to leap from bad to all pro players in 1 year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 11:42 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think Ced and Jake need to be good in 2017. If they are, I think our OL will surprise the league and our own fan base. They don't need to leap from bad to all pro players in 1 year.

Exactly!
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 11:42 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think Ced and Jake need to be good in 2017. If they are, I think our OL will surprise the league and our own fan base. They don't need to leap from bad to all pro players in 1 year.

Agreed. Bottom line though for me is if this team ends up like it did last year and the OL is the main reason for that, I'm hoping for a replacement or two early in the 2018 draft and/or FA.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 11:25 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I honestly believe that "the window" isn't going to close anytime soon. Players now are in way better shape than 15 years ago and longevity is greater. Also we tend to sign our core to longer contracts keeping them here. 

I don't buy "the window"  theory either. Even if half the team dies of old age in the next few years there will still be plenty of fresh new and improved players coming out of college. It's not as if they sign guys to play until Social Security kicks in for them. Most NFL players in the league have a very small amount time to have their 15 seconds of fame then it's off to actually working for a living instead of getting rich being a decades long super star.

Jake and Ced will either pan out or they won't, but either way there will always be more players in the pipeline waiting for their 15 seconds..
I'm fairly certain that I'm not the only one who went to college to study for a job that no longer exists. Luckily for athletes the job isn't replaced by automation every few years. Instead it's replaced by the calendar. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2017, 08:56 AM)kevin Wrote: We have a Top Defense, no doubt about that.  This Defense should make the play-offs again

We have Andy Dalton at QB who in his first 6 seasons put up very good numbers and is only Bengals QB ever to lead team to 5 straight play-off seasons including his rookie year. He has been in Pro Bowl a few times. I would rank him behind only Ken Anderson and Boomer Esiason in Bengals QB History, and he is closing in on them. So we have a QB and a decent back up in McCarron.

We have AJ Green, and Brandon LaFell and Ross and Boyd and Core and Eifert to throw to.

We have Mixon added to Hill and Bernard to run the ball.

BUT....How do we throw the ball or run the ball if Defenses are coming through our SWISS CHEESE OFFENSIVE LINE as soon as the ball is snapped.  With no blocking, you can't run the ball or pass the ball. None of the X's and O's of the playbook work with no blocking

That's the KEY coming up very soon in preseason.  Do we have Blocking or don't we ???.....Can we replace Whitworth and Zeitler and what is Andre Smith doing right back, was he that bad with another team or what ???....IF WE HAVE BLOCKING, WE CAN GO SUPER BOWL......WITH NO BLOCKING, WE MIGHT WIN 4 GAMES AND FINISH LAST. ....IT REALLY COMES DOWN TO BLOCKING. BENGALS ARE LOADED EVERYWHERE ELSE. IT ALL COMES DOWN TO BLOCKING THIS PRESEASON.  Hopefully come September we have Blocking. It would be a shame to waste such a good team at every other position due to no blocking.

I'm super glad you did another thread on the Oline. 

It had been a while and i was getting worried...

Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote