Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
BEST DRAFT OF LINEBACKERS IN YEARS
Bengals NEED to take a LB in 2 or 3 because all NFL scouts agree this is a rare crop of LBs that you just don't see most years....and don't tell me Bengals couldn't use a top notch LB draft pick in 2 or 3. There are LBs in this draft that can come in here and be our best LB right away.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
LOL. LB is probably the last position (other than QB) that I would draft in round 2. And to be quite honest, this isn't really that special of a group.
Reply/Quote
Where did you read this? I’ve never read it from anywhere
Reply/Quote
I would be pretty upset if they take a LB before day 3 (and hopefully not even then). We’ve used a ton of draft picks on the position in recent years, and now we just need to let the young guys play and develop.

This class is deepest at OL and WR. I’d like to hit those positions heavily. And maybe the best pass rusher available at some point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 09:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I would be pretty upset if they take a LB before day 3 (and hopefully not even then). We’ve used a ton of draft picks on the position in recent years, and now we just need to let the young guys play and develop.

This class is deepest at OL and WR. I’d like to hit those positions heavily. And maybe the best pass rusher available at some point.

Don't worry.  I'm sure we will have our annual throwaway pick in 3-4 where we pass over much needed talent at WR, OL, and/or edge for a stack LB who will be a replacement level starter at best, cut in a couple of years at worst.

Joking aside, there are guys that I like and it's pretty deep, but I don't want to see one unless it's a Zavon Collins in 3 or Dylan Moses in 5 type value.  
Reply/Quote
I agree it's a good crop. Parsons is the best prospect in a decade, Collins is in the mold of Khalil Mack, and the UGA kid is very dynamic.

Of course my personal fav is Jamin Davis, His Pro Day opened eyes anf folks are loving what they see.

I love his response when asked about going to the draft:
“I never really wanted to be a guy that was all dressed up in a fancy suit walking across a stage, especially knowing that I’m not a guy that’s really one of them anyway,”

We call that name at 38 and I'm happy
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I love Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah. He might be a hybrid but he's fun to watch.

Also Derrick Barnes later. Explosive B1G SAM.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 10:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course my personal fav is Jamin Davis, His Pro Day opened eyes anf folks are loving what they see.

Agree. His workout comparative

Jamin Davis
6'3 234
Bench 21
Forty 4.37
Vertical 42
Broad 132

Micah Parsons
6'3 246
Bench 19
Forty 4.39
Vertical 34
Broad 126
Reply/Quote
Since we didnt re-sign Bynes, it seems like a LB is actually a bit of a need or question mark at least, just not a big one like OL and WR. There is still some FA left since plenty of good players will be cut after the draft, so we may pick up a solid vet at that point. But honestly, the only LB we have now who really showed something last year was Logan. Pratt wasnt that consistent, and ADG wasnt either. Bailey was coming off injury and didnt play much so its hard to gauge him. Its certainly possible they all get better and show improvement. I think Logan will for sure. Pratt I dont know, this is his year to show it in year 3 and I hope he does.

I would love to have Jamin Davis though. In playing around with the PFF draft simulator, I find myself trading back the 5th pick to get extra picks, and have taken him with an extra pick. I wouldnt mind trading back and grabbing a guy like Slater honestly. Getting a couple extra picks wouldnt be a bad thing in this draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 05:45 PM)kevin Wrote: Bengals NEED to take a LB in 2 or 3 because all NFL scouts agree this is a rare crop of LBs that you just don't see most years....and don't tell me Bengals couldn't use a top notch LB draft pick in 2 or 3.  There are LBs in this draft that can come in here and be our best LB right away.

Every LB on the Bengals roster is a 3rd rounder or later, all of whom have only played 4 seasons or less.
Pretty much any year you could get a LB in Rd 1 or 2 and probably upgrade the LBs.
Address the bigger needs this year (OL, DL, WR) and maybe look for LB next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Seems a lot of the replies here are saying do not draft BPA

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 01:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems a lot of the replies here are saying do not draft BPA

It depends on where for me. In PFF's mock simulator, they have Jalen Smith dropped down to the 4th round usually. If we have addressed more pressing needs in rounds 1-3, Smith could very well be the BPA if he's there in the 4th. Would we pass him up if he lasts that long? Other draft simulators have him going in the second I've noticed. Its really hard to tell with all the draft "experts" and mock simulators, but we will find out for sure on draft day when teams make the picks. 
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 10:40 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Agree. His workout comparative

Jamin Davis
6'3 234
Bench 21
Forty 4.37
Vertical 42
Broad 132

Micah Parsons
6'3 246
Bench 19
Forty 4.39
Vertical 34
Broad 126
The biggest thing that has hurt Micah this pre season is his arm length (31.5"). Scouts say it will hurt him as a pass rusher. Jamin has 33" arms. 

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 10:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree it's a good crop. Parsons is the best prospect in a decade, Collins is in the mold of Khalil Mack, and the UGA kid is very dynamic.

Of course my personal fav is Jamin Davis, His Pro Day opened eyes anf folks are loving what they see.

I love his response when asked about going to the draft:
“I never really wanted to be a guy that was all dressed up in a fancy suit walking across a stage, especially knowing that I’m not a guy that’s really one of them anyway,”

We call that name at 38 and I'm happy

I'd be good with it, too, but I don't think he's falling that far.  The cat is out of the bag as far as his potential goes.  
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 11:25 AM)samhain Wrote: I'd be good with it, too, but I don't think he's falling that far.  The cat is out of the bag as far as his potential goes.  

IM all for LBs...one of my favorite positions BUT...I think they are taking Chase in rd 1 which leaves them to have to pickup the best OL in rd2...
Im good with a LB after that..as I am not all in on what we have right now. I think Wilson will be a solid PRO and ADG flashed here and there last yr so theres hope. Pratt needs to step it up a notch this yr and show us why he was picked in RD3. Sometimes he looks good but at other times looks lost. Thats said, we need a vocal captain of the LB group. Who will that be? I think Bynes maybe back more for just a leadership role.   
Reply/Quote
Considering we only use 2 LB on the field a majority of the time, I don't see LB as a need with Pratt, AGD and Wilson.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 11:25 AM)samhain Wrote: I'd be good with it, too, but I don't think he's falling that far.  The cat is out of the bag as far as his potential goes.  

I see what you did

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 02:13 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Considering we only use 2 LB on the field a majority of the time, I don't see LB as a need with Pratt, AGD and Wilson.

And if you draft on need you're often left with players just good enough while reaching for need. 

Reply/Quote
We haven't gotten to year two with Wilson and Davis-Gaither yet, so I'd like to see them continue to work and get reps before we give up on them immediately. We've got Markus Bailey back full strength as well to see what they've got in him. If anything, I would prefer to sign a Kwon Alexander or another vet to give them someone older in the room they can lean on. Right now we've got a lot of youth there.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 01:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems a lot of the replies here are saying do not draft BPA

Are you fine with spending a 2nd or 3rd on a QB then, if it's BPA?

BPA is fine and dandy as an ideal, but the Bengals have more pressing needs and you need to use common sense as well when discussing BPA. Ignoring those for a position that they've sunk a 3rd rounder into each of the last 3 years and 5 of the last 6 years is silly. 

Doubly so when the Bengals are pretty much never going to use 3 LBs at once. If you take every LB on the Bengals last year and add their snap count % all together, you get 208.4%. If you played 3 LBs all the time, you'd have 300%. So it's a position they've spent a 3rd rounder on in 3 straight drafts (and 5 out of 6) that they only need 2 players (and maybe a backup for that 8.4% of the time) for.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote