Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BJ Hill
What are everyones thoughts on BJ Hill?

BJ Hill is making the 5th most money on this roster. In 2023 and 2024 he's going to be making about 11 million dollars per year. He's making top 10 DT money at his position. His PPF ranking last year was 65 - good, but not outstanding. I think BJ Hill is a nice player - good against the run but doesn't give you a ton in the pass rush department.

We've heard (and seen a little) about the emergence of Zach Carter (he's also cheap).

Is it possible to say that BJ Hill needs to have a pretty good year in order to solidify his spot on this roster going into next year? Would it be a consideration that they possibly use the the BJ Hill money in order to free up space for a Reader extension?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 11:38 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What are everyones thoughts on BJ Hill?

BJ Hill is making the 5th most money on this roster. In 2023 and 2024 he's going to be making about 11 million dollars per year. He's making top 10 DT money at his position. His PPF ranking last year was 65 - good, but not outstanding. I think BJ Hill is a nice player - good against the run but doesn't give you a ton in the pass rush department.

We've heard (and seen a little) about the emergence of Zach Carter (he's also cheap).

Is it possible to say that BJ Hill needs to have a pretty good year in order to solidify his spot on this roster going into next year? Would it be a consideration that they possibly use the the BJ Hill money in order to free up space for a Reader extension?

I like Hill because he's well-rounded.

Here are his total pressures (sacks in parentheses) since being a Bengal:
2021 (when LO was on the team) - 29 (6)
2022 - 34 (4)
2023 (1 game) - 2 (0)

Hill did play 179 more pass rush snaps in 2022 than 2021.

I think his contract made sense when he signed it after 2021, as it was expected he would put up (way) more than 29 pressures and 6 sacks if given more snaps.
2022 was arguably a disappointment because his rate of pressures/sacks went down, but they were still solid.
I think this year he'll probably be in the 30-40 pressures range and 4-7 sacks.

If the Bengals want a true IDL pass rusher, I don't think Hill is that guy.
However, there's still value in Hill being on the team next year.
He's a very good rotational guy and decent starter.

Let's see how Carter progresses this year in Year 2 (at least up to the trade deadline) and see if a combo of Carter and Hill becomes a formidable inside pass rush force.
If not, I'm game for maybe trading for a rental at the deadline just for this year (if Bengals have a good record by that point), and/or drafting a guy early next year to factor into the rotation.
Bengals like to draft guys a year early for the most part, and both Tupou and Reader hit FA next year, so they will need some continuity and veteran presence if both guys depart.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
BJ Hill is worth the money. Dude never misses a game and he was Ossai's bodyguard after the 2022 AFC Championship Game.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 01:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: BJ Hill is worth the money. Dude never misses a game and he was Ossai's bodyguard after the 2022 AFC Championship Game.

Can he play RT?  Word is that Joe Burrow needs a new bodyguard..  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Hill has been solid.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 11:38 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What are everyones thoughts on BJ Hill?

Pff is just one measurement that from coaching perspectivematter less than fan perspective, another measurement is playoff play and he has been tough in playoffs, totally important piece of our defense 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 12:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I like Hill because he's well-rounded.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
He's overpaid, but they had to do it after Larry O left.
Reply/Quote
They’re going to lose some good players. If the next guy can give you anywhere near the same production, then he may have to be one of them.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Not many backup DTs are solid VS the run and pass. He’s worth every penny of the contract. Wish he had some DJ Reader in him to where teams don’t even run on his side but he’s not trash
-Housh
Reply/Quote
What are our thoughts on BJ Hill now?

I think he's had an OK year...but I REALLY think you could use his salary to open up cap space to impact the defensive line in a more substantial way. He's not worth the 11 million he's making.

Hear's my master plan that will never happen:

Cut BJ Hill and sign Chris Jones. Then draft another DT/NT with your first pick in the draft - trade up if you need to get the guy you are targeting.

The entire interior DL room needs to be flipped this off-season.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 11:46 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What are our thoughts on BJ Hill now?

I think he's had an OK year...but I REALLY think you could use his salary to open up cap space to impact the defensive line in a more substantial way. He's not worth the 11 million he's making.

Cut BJ Hill and sign Chris Jones. Then draft another DT/NT with your first pick in the draft - trade up if you need to get the guy you are targeting.

It would be really difficult to match Hill's production for the same money or less.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 11:58 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It would be really difficult to match Hill's production for the same money or less.

See, I think his production is easily replaceable with a high draft pick...especially if you have a stud lining up next to that high draft pick. 

I just want upgrades on the DL from Hubbard and BJ Hill - I dont think they are worth the 25 million combined they are making. Sign a HIGH quality interior guy in FA, draft Hill's replacement, then give Murphy more snaps next year. 

Hubbard and Hill I could take or leave. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 11:46 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What are our thoughts on BJ Hill now?

I would rather replace Zach Carter and Josh Tupou's snaps in 2024 than BJ Hill's who will be on a pretty much 1y10m deal. Its Reader, Carter and Tupou's 1500ish snaps that are an issue in 2024. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
We've gotten a decent / good 3 years out of Hill. The real question is will his production decline from here on out? I'd be fearful it is set to decline. I like the the philosophy of bringing in plays on the up and up, and be careful holding onto players who have peaked. Has Hill peaked?

What made the FA signings so great in 2019-2022 was they were relatively based on potential, and what the players could become, and that potential came to fruition. We need to get back to that. Relatively affordable players that fit, who outperform their contract.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
No Reader next year probably, I prefer not losing Hill also.. sign Hill, Reader will not be ready by start of year so no team is signing him to much, we might work out a 1 year less expensive deal with Reader
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 12:08 PM)jj22 Wrote: We've gotten a decent / good 3 years out of Hill. The real question is will his production decline from here on out? I'd be fearful it is set to decline. I like the the philosophy of bringing in plays on the up and up, and be careful holding onto players who have peaked. Has Hill peaked?

What made the FA signings so great in 2019-2022 was they were relatively based on potential, and what the players could become, and that potential came to fruition. We need to get back to that. Relatively affordable players that fit, who outperform their contract.

Hill will barely be 28 when TC starts next year. He's still in his prime years.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
5 sacks, 40 total pressures on the season.
That's solid, but not preferred.

There was a hope someone else like Carter or Sample could rotate to help add additional pressures and sacks, but it ended up not being enough, especially with Reader out.
Carter only had 13 pressures and 0 sacks on 241 pass rush reps, which was about half of what Hill had.
I would have liked to have seen 2-4 sacks and 20+ pressures on that amount of pass rush reps.

I like Hill, but with Carter now getting two full years and still not doing much, I think it's time the Bengals try to add another pass rushing DT to the mix this offseason as we enter Hill's final year under contract in 2024.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
BJ has the best Ability.
Availability. We can save $ by cutting useless players.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 02:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 5 sacks, 40 total pressures on the season.
That's solid, but not preferred.

There was a hope someone else like Carter or Sample could rotate to help add additional pressures and sacks, but it ended up not being enough, especially with Reader out.
Carter only had 13 pressures and 0 sacks on 241 pass rush reps, which was about half of what Hill had.
I would have liked to have seen 2-4 sacks and 20+ pressures on that amount of pass rush reps.

I like Hill, but with Carter now getting two full years and still not doing much, I think it's time the Bengals try to add another pass rushing DT to the mix this offseason as we enter Hill's final year under contract in 2024.

Thanks for the numbers Ochocincos. BJ is still very solid, I would keep him and like you say, replace Carter with a much better pass rushing 3-tech.

Chris Jones, Christian Wilkins, Madabuike etc.

There are a lot of good options going to be out there and we can draft a NT like T'vondre Sweat to hopefully replace Reader. That was a rough injury.
Reply/Quote