Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: Bengals sign kicker as a backup for Bullock Sunday
(11-04-2017, 04:27 PM)jtsmith38 Wrote: Maybe, bear with me here, just maybe, we should draft a kicker.  But then what do we know, right?

We just drafted a kicker.

I wanted an O Lineman when we had a pick in 3rd, 3 picks in 4, and the first of 2 picks in 5. ....I kept saying, " Take an O Lineman. We need one with Whit and Zeit gone ".   No, they took more WR's and RB's and anything but an O Lineman.   Then with first pick in 5th round they took Elliott the kicker. WHAT A GREAT MOVE.   He never ever kicks in regular season for Bengals and we go through Rounds 3, 4 and early 5......5 straight picks after Ross and Mixon taken without an O Lineman when good O Linemen were on the board in 3 and 4 and we needed blocking.

I can't see drafting a kicker.  Elliott is the perfect example of why you DON'T draft kickers.  Maybe in round 6 or 7.  Not early in round 5.  

again, THAT WAS BRILLIANT.....Bengals draft a kicker in round 5 who never ever kicks for us in a regular season game.  BRILLIANT. ....and they don't draft an O Lineman. They pick Malone at WR, Elliott at kicker and 3 other guys, but not one O Lineman...REAL SMART. ...Oh, they took somebody real late in 5 at O Line. Boneheaded. They took Ross and Mixon and then 5 more picks including a kicker they would cut, and just passed on all the O Line talent on the board from rounds 3 to 5. We needed a 3rd round or 4th round guard to replace Zeitler a little. No, we took Ross and then Malone loading up at WR. We took a kicker in 5, first kicker taken in draft, TV said we took him too early. Then he never plays for Bengals. BRILLIANT.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 12:23 PM)thillan Wrote: ... So yes, they did see an opportunity. They picked up a rookie kicker that they believed in. That's called "seeing an opportunity."

So we saw an opportunity in signing Marshall Koehn?  It's the exact same thing, a move that is only being made out of necessity due to injury.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2017, 05:23 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: He is at 84% fgs on the year. Compared to randys 80. 

It was a bad move cutting him

Considering that they're essentially even, that Elliott has missed some serious gimmes in Philly and that he's only really known and being praised for his Hail Mary of a 61-yard FG.... It's hard to say it was a "bad move".

There was a kicker competition in training camp, and Elliott was the clear loser. So he got cut. Its Elliott's own fault he's no longer with the Bengals. I wasn't happy about it, but the team kept the better kicker (granted, that's not saying much). There's plenty of reasons to bash this franchise for, but this really isn't one of them. 
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 01:11 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Considering that they're essentially even, that Elliott has missed some serious gimmes in Philly and that he's only really known and being praised for his Hail Mary of a 61-yard FG.... It's hard to say it was a "bad move".

There was a kicker competition in training camp, and Elliott was the clear loser. So he got cut. Its Elliott's own fault he's no longer with the Bengals. I wasn't happy about it, but the team kept the better kicker (granted, that's not saying much). There's plenty of reasons to bash this franchise for, but this really isn't one of them. 

And they should be praised for taking Elliott over Gonzalez...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hey - the kid was 1-for-1 and made a tackle!

Well, with the way this all went down today poor Marshall wasn't even worth finding postgame. We'll ask Marvin tomorrow about this situation.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
There should never have been a competition. That was the Bengals trying to hedge their bets, chicken shit style. If you're gonna draft a kicker, draft one and be done with it. All those kicks Fat Randy got were stealing from Elliot. The ball explodes off the kid's foot. To put it simply, the Bengals screwed up. Again. It's what they do best. Elliot will be kicking in the league long after Randy is on his couch eating Cheetos.

But honestly, the kicker is so far down on the list of things...
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2017, 02:16 PM)McC Wrote: This guy will do it for a buck and a half and a more proven guy costs two fifty.

OCHO CINCO could come out of retirement and kick some FGs.   He did it back in the happy days. Help
Reply/Quote