Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BREAKING: Marvin leaving at the end of the season; team caught off guard
(12-17-2017, 12:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: So evidently, he's wanting to work in a front office somewhere. 

If all this is true, then it's definitely good for the organization. 15 years is a long time in the NFL. It's definitely time to move on and try something different.

Could see him going to the browns FO
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Breaking News!  The Bengals just announced the future hiring of some guy some day!  Speculation abound is that he has experience blowing his nose and coughing up phlegm. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I hope the speculation that either Guenther or Simmons will be the new coach turns out to be just that - speculation. 

In my opinion, they really need to bring in someone from the outside.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 12:44 PM)grampahol Wrote: Breaking News!  The Bengals just announced the future hiring of some guy some day!  Speculation abound is that he has experience blowing his nose and coughing up phlegm. 

I heard he knows how to clap randomly, or on command (from earset directly connected to M. Brown office).
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 12:40 PM)spazz70 Wrote: So, it says he is would be on a short list for a HC job.  IF he does get another HC job and within 1-2 years takes another team to the playoffs and wins a game does this mean that all hope is lost here?  At that point everyone would have to know that MB and the front office are the issues and it was probably not Marvin Lewis.  Just a thought.

Ya think?  I'm pretty much expecting he'll clap his way to the Lombardi trophy after leaving.   

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Quote:Not only is Lewis' contract up, but so are those of most, if not all, of the Bengals' assistant coaches. The Bengals have declined to give contract extensions to their assistant coaches, and some are unhappy with the way they have been treated financially, sources said.

I do get rather tired of people suddenly complaining that they aren't being treated fairly financially.  Every one of Marvin's assistants signed a contract and if they expire this year without an extension blame that on Marvin.  Assistants with one notable exception come and go with the head coach.   And where was Marvin the last 15 years when his assistants were supposedly being treated poorly financially?  He has signed multiple extensions of his own apparently without any public fight for the paychecks of his subordinates

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Christmas has come early!

I generally like Marv and was usually happy to stick with him. I think I truly changed my mind, when the Chargers blew us out at home where we had battered everybody all season. When he couldn't win that game it was obvious he had no ability to take us any further (probably obvious to most earlier in his reign than then). For any doubters, I think they changed their minds after the Steelers debacle.

Marv has achieved some good things here. Taking us out of the 90s and turning us into a perennial playoff team for a while wasn't a small achievement. But the small team mentality, frailty in games of any importance, and the same boneidle mistakes year after year.... He should've gone years ago, so it's good news that he's finally going to go.
Reply/Quote
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 12:40 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I definitely agree, Merry Christmas to all, thank you Marvin! Thanks for the 5 straight years in the playoffs, and thank you for realizing you can't get it done. Now wouldn't it be funny if we somehow made the playoffs at 8-8 and won the superbowl? Lol, guessing our playoff odds are 0%.

I doubt he's realized any such thing.  The lines of Marvin's bank account balance and his tolerance level for putting up with Mike's stupid shit have finally intersected and he's ready to move on.  If this FO wasn't ground zero for mom-and-pop mizerly nepotism, he might have been our GM years ago.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 12:29 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Mother ***** should have been fired.

It's amazing that he's gone and his coaching abilities had definitely gone stale, but the dude turned around an organization that had been the laughing stock of professional sports.

If we bring in a good coach and keep the core pieces of the roster, while also improving weaknesses like the offensive line, this team can still do big things, but Marvin needs to be thanked for building the roster and turning the franchise around.

Like I said, it's incredible that he's gone and well overdue, but no reason to throw shade at him.
Reply/Quote
I was one of the very few that didn't want him gone during our playoff seasons; however; back to back losing seasons point to a change needing to be made. It's time to bring in fresh blood. Just be prepared to have a 3rd straight losing season and a team overhaul.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
From John Breech

"I'm pretty sure Marvin Lewis just became the first coach in NFL history to fire himself."

LOL
Reply/Quote
And throws the front office under the bus. This thing escalated quickly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/17/report-marvin-lewis-to-leave-bengals-after-season/

Did Marvin really leak that. Or is this Fake News?!

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 12:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was one of the very few that didn't want him gone during our playoff seasons; however; back to back losing seasons point to a change needing to be made. It's time to bring in fresh blood. Just be prepared to have a 3rd straight losing season and a team overhaul.

Unless it is a big name HC coming in, I doubt we will convince any of our internal FAs to sign without overpaying dearly.
Reply/Quote
Kind of makes you wonder if the players are going to rally for the rest of the season for him or just accept their fate of knowing the next HC will likely be a died in the wool yes man 4 Mikey.. 
I'm going to assume they're all on the phone with their agents as I type this.. 
"We gotta game today? Whodda thunk it?" 

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 12:40 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Ian Rappaport says to keep an eye on Darrin Simmons as Marvin's replacement.  Mellow

Simmons has been around as long as Marvin and hasn't even gotten a sniff for a HC gig. That would be a lazy, weak and terrible hire. A Mike Brown hire. 

Did they learn nothing from Zampese? Go hire a real coach ffs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 01:01 PM)jj22 Wrote: And throws the front office under the bus. This thing escalated quickly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/17/report-marvin-lewis-to-leave-bengals-after-season/

The whole thing is kind of weird. It's very un-Marvin like to let any of this news about leaving get out with 3 games left to play. Apparently, the staff knew nothing about it according to Joe Danneman. They found out when we did.
Reply/Quote
HAHA! Tough to argue the logic of one comment.. 
Poor Ohio pro football fans. They should just merge the two sad teams and call them

the Clevelinnati Browngals

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 01:01 PM)jj22 Wrote: And throws the front office under the bus. This thing escalated quickly.

This is actually sounding bad...I believe this though Marvin has looked disgusted all season
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 12:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's amazing that he's gone and his coaching abilities had definitely gone stale, but the dude turned around an organization that had been the laughing stock of professional sports.

If we bring in a good coach and keep the core pieces of the roster, while also improving weaknesses like the offensive line, this team can still do big things, but Marvin needs to be thanked for building the roster and turning the franchise around.

Like I said, it's incredible that he's gone and well overdue, but no reason to throw shade at him.

People are fired every single day. If you agree with the changing of the guard, which I think most of us are, you agree him being fired would be the exact same result and he deserves it.

It doesn't mean we don't "thank them" for their time. It means they are not part of our future.

It's possible M. Brown runs the organization mom and pop and the HC is responsible for 100 things at once. We will soon see where we end up, but it will be difficult to tell, as I don't think AJ Green and Andy Dalton will be a combination in a couple years.

At least he's given us time to prepare for bringing someone else in.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote