Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING NEWS: Hall is playing safety at Mini Camp
All below is from Cincy Jungle
In the meantime, cornerback Leon Hall worked with the first-team defense... not at cornerback, but at safety. Hall did some work at safety during voluntary practice last week, but this is the first time its been with the first-team defense. Adam Jones and Dre Kirkpatrick were the cornerbacks with the first-team defense.

There are a couple of possibilities as to why Hall is at safety. Conspiracy theorists will point to similar transitions made by players like Rod and Charles Woodson as they got older and it both extended their careers and added to their respective resumes. With Hall battling Achilles injuries to both legs in two of the past four seasons, this might be a ploy by the coaches to help keep him injury-free and hide potential speed limitations we saw at times last seasons.

Then again, it could be just a move made out of necessity because George Iloka is still sitting out of practice. It sounds like he's eyeing a return when Training Camp commences, but youngsters like Shaw, Derron Smith and the veteran Hall could be getting time mostly because of Iloka's present vacancy.
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
Figured this was going to happen eventually. I know he'll be solid back there but hopefully the extra support in the run game doesn't take it's toll on him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 07:09 PM)treee Wrote: Figured this was going to happen eventually. I know he'll be solid back there but hopefully the extra support in the run game doesn't take it's toll on him.

Considering he's always been solid in run support without it ever being an issue.  I've pushed for him to be cross trained at safety for quite some time, as I think that can be a very nice tactical advantage in disguising coverages.  Is he a CB lined up on the slot receiver, or a S in the box?  You get the idea.
Reply/Quote
Hall will eventually be put back at safety. Hopefully, he's able to produce there when it finally happens. Really, I'd rather him return to the form that we know from him at CB, but I don't realistically see that happening.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I think this is a great move. I have a lot of confidence in Hall at this position.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd love Hall as a safety, but this raises a few questions:

1. Is Iloka a question mark to start the season?

2. Is Hall really big enough to fill in at SS? I know he's smart enough and has the cover skills, but stopping the run from that position will be tough on him at 193 lbs. Iloka weighs in at 225.

3. If Iloka and Nelson are healthy, where does that leave Hall?

I think it's possible he's just filling in for Iloka and getting some experience in case Iloka has a setback or can't play to start the season. I also have to wonder if it's possible they let Leon take over for Nelson next year. Of course, they'd have to really reduce his salary if he's going to be a safety.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 10:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd love Hall as a safety, but this raises a few questions:

1. Is Iloka a question mark to start the season?

2. Is Hall really big enough to fill in at SS? I know he's smart enough and has the cover skills, but stopping the run from that position will be tough on him at 193 lbs. Iloka weighs in at 225.

3. If Iloka and Nelson are healthy, where does that leave Hall?

I think it's possible he's just filling in for Iloka and getting some experience in case Iloka has a setback or can't play to start the season. I also have to wonder if it's possible they let Leon take over for Nelson next year. Of course, they'd have to really reduce his salary if he's going to be a safety.
There going to have to reduce is salary no matter what.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 11:24 PM)J24 Wrote: There going to have to reduce is salary no matter what.

True. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I definitely think he's just filling in for Iloka while he's out because Hall isn't big enough to play SS, especially at his age.

I do think he has value as a slot/nickel corner, but I'd really like for him to take a pay cut, especially since we'll need cash for AJ.

Hall has been loyal to us, though, and has been a great player, so I'd be very disappointed if things turned ugly.

Bottom line is that Hall's still a solid player and I love him here.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 12:36 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I definitely think he's just filling in for Iloka while he's out because Hall isn't big enough to play SS, especially at his age.

I do think he has value as a slot/nickel corner, but I'd really like for him to take a pay cut, especially since we'll need cash for AJ.

Hall has been loyal to us, though, and has been a great player, so I'd be very disappointed if things turned ugly.

Bottom line is that Hall's still a solid player and I love him here.

i think its more of a plan for when Nelson's contract is up.
Reply/Quote
I see it as an opportunity to get Hall reps at safety, while Iloka is out, incase there is an injury during the season, they don't want to get stuck starting a rookie there.

It also creates space to get the younger guys, Dennard, Shaw, Hill, more reps at corner.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 03:10 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I see it as an opportunity to get Hall reps at safety, while Iloka is out, incase there is an injury during the season, they don't want to get stuck starting a rookie there.

It also creates space to get the younger guys, Dennard, Shaw, Hill, more reps at corner.

This pretty much sums it up for me.  

At this point Neson and Iloka are much better options at S considering they are seasoned veterans at the position.  Hall is a nice backup plan in case of injury.

I still see Hall playing CB but not as a full time starter and at times might play Safety depending on the formations.  
Reply/Quote
I think this would be a great move for Hall to preserve his career but at the same time what would this mean if Hall did move to safety? Is their a competition between Hall, Nelson and Iloka for playing time? I know he struggled last year but it''s hard for me to imagine our defense without Leon Hall starting. Hopefully he can redeem himself and regain his edge now that he isn't so fresh off of his tear.
Reply/Quote
Leon will more then likely see some time back there this season.
Reply/Quote
It is merely a versatility move for this coming season right now to have depth options. They are practicing him there while Iloka is out, but I doubt he sees any significant time there unless there is an injury. With the way things went down last year it seems everyone is getting cross trained to do something else in case we get ***** slapped by the injury bug again this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 03:10 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I see it as an opportunity to get Hall reps at safety, while Iloka is out, incase there is an injury during the season, they don't want to get stuck starting a rookie there.

Yep.   It is a healthy reaction to being caught with their pants down due to injury last year and determination that it won't happen this year.  CYA.  I like it, trying to be prepared.

And reps for the young guys is a benefit too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 07:09 PM)treee Wrote: Figured this was going to happen eventually. I know he'll be solid back there but hopefully the extra support in the run game doesn't take it's toll on him.

imo with the covering for ILOKA its a way to try to get all their best players on the field.

Dre and Dennard need snaps. Jones is still playing well. And Hall has always for the most part been very steady...

Plus we are thin behind nelson/iloka. not a bad move to get him in the mindset a little. but i expect him playing CB this year if all are healthy.
Reply/Quote
This isn't a move that just any CB can make, but Hall has always been a very solid tackler for a CB.

Don't think we will see him playing much a safety this year unless there is an injury, but it will be interesting to see what happens in 2016 and beyond.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 10:08 AM)McC Wrote: Yep.   It is a healthy reaction to being caught with their pants down due to injury last year and determination that it won't happen this year.  CYA.  I like it, trying to be prepared.

And reps for the young guys is a benefit too.

Agreed.....gotta think this was a move pushed by Joseph and/or Carrier.....too fresh of an approach to be anyone else on the staff.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 11:24 PM)J24 Wrote: There going to have to reduce is salary no matter what.

from what i understand he has not been approached about a paycut at all.
Reply/Quote