Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
BURROW souped up version of Dalton
Interesting read of Burrow from a senior analyst .. I will take a better version of Dalton since he lead us to 5 playoffs .. hopefully this means some wins in the the playoffs with Burrow

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001109661/article/2020-nfl-draft-prospectpro-comparisons-for-top-quarterbacks
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Heart 
That's kinda salty.
Reply/Quote
Oi vey...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 07:59 PM)phil413 Wrote: That's kinda salty.

(04-16-2020, 08:02 PM)jason Wrote: Oi vey...

Is it salty?  Maybe what he's really saying is that had the team ran a better organization, that Andy could have and should have been a championship level NFL QB?  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
you remember how good Dalton was in 2015? imagine that every year...
Reply/Quote
You know me, have always been a Dalton backer but the one thing that makes this comparison so much nonsense
is who is calm, cool and collected in the pocket and who panics even when the OL is blocking well. Burrow under
pressure was as good as any player ever last season against the best teams in the country.

Dalton panics even when the pocket doesn't break down. There is absolutely no panic from Burrow at all.

I have a hybrid comparison - Joe Montana/Tom Brady
Reply/Quote
Andy is a pretty damn QB when the team didn't fall a part due to injury or mismanagement. So I'm not going to be upset about this comparison at all.
Burrow is a super sayian version of Dalton I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 08:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You know me, have always been a Dalton backer but the one thing that makes this comparison so much nonsense
is who is calm, cool and collected in the pocket and who panics even when the OL is blocking well. Burrow under
pressure was as good as any player ever last season against the best teams in the country.

Dalton panics even when the pocket doesn't break down. There is absolutely no panic from Burrow at all.

This isn't true Go watch Dalton through 2015-16 he wasn't panicked then. Hell if he was as bad as everyone claims there is no way we would have made 5 playoffs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I like this comparison from Gil Brandt much better...

Burrow reminds you of Peyton Manning,” Brandt wrote. “Burrow is faster than Manning, but his arm strength is equal -- it's good but not great. Burrow played on a team with lots of talent in 2019, including excellent receivers and a good running back who could catch the ball. Auburn tried to confuse Burrow with a new defense in Game 8 of the 2019 season, but he made adjustments quickly.”

“Very smart and aware, Burrow has enough ability to start and take a team to the playoffs.” Brandt continued. “Note that he completed 66.4 percent of his passes under pressure. He's also said to have good work habits.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/joe-burrow-compared-peyton-manning

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 08:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is it salty?  Maybe what he's really saying is that had the team ran a better organization, that Andy could have and should have been a championship level NFL QB?  Ninja

I'm an Andy Dalton guy... But I've been told the second coming of Montana, Manning, Brady, and LeBron James all wrapped into one was on his way.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 08:49 PM)J24 Wrote: This isn't true Go watch Dalton through 2015-16 he wasn't panicked then. Hell if he was as bad as everyone claims there is no way we would have made 5 playoffs.

Dalton has never been a QB that moves around in the pocket and extends plays. Call it panicking, happy feet, or whatever you like, but the problem has always been there.

And don’t give me it’s the OL’s fault, or “what pocket” Burrow actually excels under pressure.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 08:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You know me, have always been a Dalton backer but the one thing that makes this comparison so much nonsense

Not to sound like Dalton's biggest defender, but you are comparing someone who spent the past 4 years behind a garbage o-line in the NFL to someone who hasn't faced an NFL pass rush yet.  I'll admit I don't know much about college football, so it's possible Dalton was panicking his entire college career, too.
Reply/Quote
Im not sure why some seem so unhappy with this quote.. Dalton was a good QB but ended up not moving us past the 1st round of playoffs... Burrow and Dalton have some similar attributes but Burrow with his ability to extend plays, move in the pocket we would expect to not only take us to the playoffs but win games..
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 08:49 PM)J24 Wrote: This isn't true Go watch Dalton through 2015-16 he wasn't panicked then. Hell if he was as bad as everyone claims there is no way we would have made 5 playoffs.

I watched him, for some reason he was standing in the pocket and doing well passing under pressure those years but he 
went right back to panicking last season. I watched him bail out of pocket run to the right and throw the ball out of bounds
all the time even when there was hardly no pressure. He had no faith in the O-line (who can blame him) but when Burrow 
runs out of the pocket it is pre determined to throw on the run for a completion.

I have studied up enough about both to see this, you evidently have not.

These two are complete opposites in so many ways.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 08:55 PM)jason Wrote: I'm an Andy Dalton guy... But I've been told the second coming of Montana, Manning, Brady, and LeBron James all wrapped into one was on his way.

You forgot Jim Thorpe and Muhammad Ali!
Reply/Quote
It's a poor player comparison.

Gil Brandt is basing the entire thing off three attributes. Football IQ, Accuracy, and Arm Strength. Under just those 3 conditions you can say yes Andy Dalton.... but Burrow has alot more going for him than those 3. Burrow also has excellent pocket presence combined with top field vision so while Dalton is all pre snap get thr ball out quick Burrow will hold on set up his blocks in protection like a RB and take shots down field accurately. He also makes a ton of plays off script.

It's funny because there is a QB alot like Dalton in this draft...His name is Tua Tagovailoa. Tua is a pre- snap guy gets the ball out quickly to his receivers. He is good against the blitz because of his pre snap recognition and ability to get the ball out fast and on time. Now when the play breaks down Tua struggles he doesnt have the accuracy or vision outside of the pocket.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 08:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Not to sound like Dalton's biggest defender, but you are comparing someone who spent the past 4 years behind a garbage o-line in the NFL to someone who hasn't faced an NFL pass rush yet.  I'll admit I don't know much about college football, so it's possible Dalton was panicking his entire college career, too.

No, this Gil Brandt fella is comparing them. There is no comparison from watching both lately.

Burrow was getting hit all the time last season against the best competition college can give him and lit them up.

Dalton hasn't lit up the best competition while being hit in any game I can remember lately that I have seen.

Been awhile.

5 years ago Dalton was playing very well though, but that was because of a lot of factors. Good OL, healthy weapons and 
DALTON WAS NOT PANICKING WHEN A HIT WAS COMING. This is a big deal and the best like Brady, stand in there and 
are fearless and make the throw, take the hit and complete the pass. Burrow does this, did it all last season against the 
best college had to offer and lit them up.

Go find that tape at TCU for Dalton. I like the guy as a QB and love the guy as a human being but there is no comparison.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 09:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No, this Gil Brandt fella is comparing them. There is no comparison from watching both lately.

Burrow was getting hit all the time last season against the best competition college can give him and lit them up.

Dalton hasn't lit up the best competition while being hit in any game I can remember lately that I have seen.

Been awhile.

5 years ago Dalton was playing very well though, but that was because of a lot of factors. Good OL, healthy weapons and 
DALTON WAS NOT PANICKING WHEN A HIT WAS COMING. This is a big deal and the best like Brady, stand in there and 
are fearless and make the throw, take the hit and complete the pass. Burrow does this, did it all last season against the 
best college had to offer and lit them up.

Go find that tape at TCU for Dalton. I like the guy as a QB and love the guy as a human being but there is no comparison.

I'm not saying Burrow isn't awesome, I'm just saying he's going to be facing his first NFL-caliber pass rush behind what is likely to be a not-great o-line.  I have faith in the guy, but after watching the 2019 Browns I'm a little wary of off-season awards.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 09:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying Burrow isn't awesome, I'm just saying he's going to be facing his first NFL-caliber pass rush behind what is likely to be a not-great o-line.  I have faith in the guy, but after watching the 2019 Browns I'm a little wary of off-season awards.

Completely agree with that. 

Just saying make a proper comparison Gil Brandt. I could see Alex Smith a touch from college but he still played at Utah...

Not at LSU while beating 7 top 10 teams while playing in the SEC and beating Bama and Clemson. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 08:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is it salty?  Maybe what he's really saying is that had the team ran a better organization, that Andy could have and should have been a championship level NFL QB?  Ninja

Soup is salty
Reply/Quote