Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
BURROW souped up version of Dalton
(04-16-2020, 09:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I watched him, for some reason he was standing in the pocket and doing well passing under pressure those years but he 
went right back to panicking last season. I watched him bail out of pocket run to the right and throw the ball out of bounds
all the time even when there was hardly no pressure. He had no faith in the O-line (who can blame him) but when Burrow 
runs out of the pocket it is pre determined to throw on the run for a completion.

I have studied up enough about both to see this, you evidently have not.

These two are complete opposites in so many ways.

Agree

Besides the 2015 anomaly Andy typically hasn't done well off script. I have no idea what Joe will or will not end up being but the evidence thus far doesn't equal them being a good comparison. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 09:45 PM)phil413 Wrote: Soup is salty

Chili is soup.  You should try mine.  It's far from salty.  Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 09:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

Besides the 2015 anomaly Andy typically hasn't done well off script. I have no idea what Joe will or will not end up being but the evidence thus far doesn't equal them being a good comparison. 

Yeah, who knows what Joe will become but you have to judge off of what happened lately when comparing players.

I did a Joe Montana comparison cause Burrow is great on the run and is cool in the pocket but I guess that is a long damn 
time ago. If I am following my own mantra as far as NFL players lately, Mahomes is the best comparison honestly IMO.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 09:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, who knows what Joe will become but you have to judge off of what happened lately when comparing players.

I did a Joe Montana comparison cause Burrow is great on the run and is cool in the pocket but I guess that is a long damn 
time ago. If I am following my own mantra as far as NFL players lately, Mahomes is the best comparison honestly IMO.

Yep, some writer back at the end of the CFB season compared Burrow to Montana and it has some merit. Montana didn't have a cannon arm either but he manipulated the pocket well and was very accurate. Montana just had that ability to make shit happen, was a winner, however you want to put it.

Am I saying Joe Burrow will have a career like Montana and be that good ? I have no idea ? But I wanna take that chance
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 10:00 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, some writer back at the end of the CFB season compared Burrow to Montana and it has some merit. Montana didn't have a cannon arm either but he manipulated the pocket well and was very accurate. Montana just had that ability to make shit happen, was a winner, however you want to put it.

Am I saying Joe Burrow will have a career like Montana and be that good ? I have no idea ? But I wanna take that chance

Joel Klatt and completely agree with the comparison. Burrow doesn't have the cannon arm like Mahomes does but Burrow is 
great on the run like Mahomes and is great in the pocket like Brady and has Brady's size. No one is saying Burrow is Montana
or Brady or Mahomes but those are more likely comparisons when judging what Burrow did last year.

Hell he was WAY better than all of them last season in any of their seasons in college.

We just don't know what Burrow will become. He could be Ryan Leaf for all we know I just doubt it with his mental makeup.

Burrow plays the game to prove everyone wrong.
Reply/Quote
If we only got Good Andy and never Bad Andy. I'd take it. I still remember him running outside the tackle box and throwing the ball out of bounds on 4th down with the game on the line once. Can't remember against who.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 09:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, who knows what Joe will become but you have to judge off of what happened lately when comparing players.

Ida know...Mahommes' pre-draft comparison was Jay Cutler and he was far from a no-brainer 1st overall pick like Burrow is.  If Burrow is Mahommes then we might need to sit him behind Andy Alex Dalton Smith for a year.

They have Burrow compared to Kurt Warner...I didn't see that one coming.  Interesting. 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 10:00 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, some writer back at the end of the CFB season compared Burrow to Montana and it has some merit. Montana didn't have a cannon arm either but he manipulated the pocket well and was very accurate. Montana just had that ability to make shit happen, was a winner, however you want to put it.

Joel Klatt 

Skip to around 9 minutes for Burrow talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNnwqa_CqlE
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 10:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ida know...Mahommes' pre-draft comparison was Jay Cutler and he was far from a no-brainer 1st overall pick like Burrow is.  If Burrow is Mahommes then we might need to sit him behind Andy Alex Dalton Smith for a year.

They have Burrow compared to Kurt Warner...I didn't see that one coming.  Interesting. 

Yeah, like I said in my post a couple above this one is the one thing that is not comparable with Mahomes is arm strength.

Which is why I said Montana the other Joe cool like Klatt says.

Montana for his cool in the pocket, Brady for his size and the way he stands in their fearless and Mahomes for his accuracy
on the run and being that he is recent. We don't need to sit Burrow behind Andy Alex Dalton Smith for a year LMAO!!!

Get out of here with that one Nately. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 09:11 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Im not sure why some seem so unhappy with this quote.. Dalton was a good QB but ended up not moving us past the 1st round of playoffs... Burrow and Dalton have some similar attributes but Burrow with his ability to extend plays, move in the pocket we would expect to not only take us to the playoffs but win games..

I would hope even the biggest Dalton fans would agree you don’t take an Andy Dalton with the #1OA pick. Even at Dalton’s absolute best he was just a borderline top 10, MVP conversation type player. At #1 you need to have a much higher ceiling than that. And Burrow clearly does.

Brandt also compared Burrow to Peyton Manning, so he’s kind of all over the place. Lol

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 10:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I would hope even the biggest Dalton fans would agree you don’t take an Andy Dalton with the #1OA pick. Even at Dalton’s absolute best he was just a borderline top 10, MVP conversation type player. At #1 you need to have a much higher ceiling than that. And Burrow clearly does.

Brandt also compared Burrow to Peyton Manning, so he’s kind of all over the place. Lol

Peyton and Burrow have a lot of the same leadership, intellect and are about the same size.

Peyton and Burrow have that. Just not even close to the same athletic ability, just like Brady.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 10:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I would hope even the biggest Dalton fans would agree you don’t take an Andy Dalton with the #1OA pick. Even at Dalton’s absolute best he was just a borderline top 10, MVP conversation type player. At #1 you need to have a much higher ceiling than that. And Burrow clearly does.

We dont know how good Burrow is going to be in NFL he has not given played a game but what is bad to have him compared to Dalton but better than means a player that not only gets to playoffs but wins.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 11:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We dont know how good Burrow is going to be in NFL he has not given played a game but what is bad to have him compared to Dalton but better than means a player that not only gets to playoffs but wins.

It wasn't only Dalton who got us to the Playoffs either.

I have been called a Dalton homer in the past as well.

Lots of things played into us making it to the Playoffs with Dalton, not just him.

One thing I know from all these years is Dalton cannot carry a team to a win in big games consistently.

Burrow I think can, but he will need help and this FA helped with one phase and we are pretty damn good in the other one ST's.

Coaching will have to help big time, we had some good coaches in those runs in Zim, Hue and Jay.
Reply/Quote
He reminds me of Romo. A little unorthodox and can lead a team.

If there is any limitations they don't know it. They just love the game.

If he's Dalton with swagger who loves to shine in prime time. I'm fine with that as well.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 10:11 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: Joel Klatt 

Skip to around 9 minutes for Burrow talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNnwqa_CqlE

What a f**k stick Cowpie is.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 11:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It wasn't only Dalton who got us to the Playoffs either.

I have been called a Dalton homer in the past as well.

Lots of things played into us making it to the Playoffs with Dalton, not just him.

One thing I know from all these years is Dalton cannot carry a team to a win in big games consistently.

Burrow I think can, but he will need help and this FA helped with one phase and we are pretty damn good in the other one ST's.

Coaching will have to help big time, we had some good coaches in those runs in Zim, Hue and Jay.

I agree tons of variables but QB more than any position that the greatest impact and like it or not they are judged more on getting to playoffs and winning.. also if Burrow is as good as advertised he should be able to win with less talent.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 11:36 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree tons of variables but QB more than any position that the greatest impact and like it or not they are judged more on getting to playoffs and winning.. also if Burrow is as good as advertised he should be able to win with less talent.

Why are you so intent on dogging this guy?  Have you been asleep for a year?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 11:18 PM)jj22 Wrote: He reminds me of Romo. A little unorthodox and can lead a team.

If there is any limitations they don't know it. They just love the game.

If he's Dalton with swagger who loves to shine in prime time. I'm fine with that as well.

Romo is probably Burrow’s floor. I have seen that comparison, and I don’t really hate it.

Reply/Quote
You know, there's a small part of me that's not totally sold on Burrow, if only because a 23 year old grad student basically taking no real classes surrounded by the kind of talent he had SHOULD put up big numbers.

But on the other hand, there is a reason to make a Tom Brady comparison. Brady wasn't that big of a deal at Michigan, and I don't think anybody would've said he had a cannon arm. Brady weighing in at his combine looked like he'd never lifted a weight a day in his life. But Brady took the weight training seriously, and now he's pretty ripped. You CAN actually build arm strength - in fact Dalton even did it. Burrow lost out to Haskins probably because he didn't have the arm strength (whereas Haskins has it in spades), but to his credit, he built it. And he's still building it. He's stated he's a big fan of Brady's training and diet regimen, so if Brady can turn himself into the player he has, I'm not so worried about Burrow. Not that I'm saying Burrow will be the GOAT, just that he's cut from a similar cloth as Brady.

And I will say that some people are acting like he was terrible as a junior. He still had a 3:1 TD:Int ratio, which isn't terrible. Watched a little of his junior tape and sure he wasn't the player you see now, but he was solid.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 12:13 AM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: You know, there's a small part of me that's not totally sold on Burrow, if only because a 23 year old grad student basically taking no real classes surrounded by the kind of talent he had SHOULD put up big numbers.

But on the other hand, there is a reason to make a Tom Brady comparison. Brady wasn't that big of a deal at Michigan, and I don't think anybody would've said he had a cannon arm. Brady weighing in at his combine looked like he'd never lifted a weight a day in his life. But Brady took the weight training seriously, and now he's pretty ripped. You CAN actually build arm strength - in fact Dalton even did it. Burrow lost out to Haskins probably because he didn't have the arm strength (whereas Haskins has it in spades), but to his credit, he built it. And he's still building it. He's stated he's a big fan of Brady's training and diet regimen, so if Brady can turn himself into the player he has, I'm not so worried about Burrow. Not that I'm saying Burrow will be the GOAT, just that he's cut from a similar cloth as Brady.

And I will say that some people are acting like he was terrible as a junior. He still had a 3:1 TD:Int ratio, which isn't terrible. Watched a little of his junior tape and sure he wasn't the player you see now, but he was solid.

People just bring up his junior year so they can find something bad to say about him.  He's one of the few things that seems too good to be true but is true.

One Brady characteristic that he absolutely has is that competitive nature and drive.  And that's one of the characteristics that made Brady so great.  That's one thing all the great ones have.

He's not only a special player.  He's a special guy too.  His team is gonna play their nuts off for him cuz he's gonna play his nuts off for them.  The city will love him.  

Reply/Quote