Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Props to the old guys
(01-06-2021, 03:29 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: The 2005 team was good but they would've had to get past the Peyton Manning led Colts in Indy.  That same year the Colts won a shootout at PBS so they would've been highly favored in Indy.  As it turned out Pittsburgh beat the Colts in Indy in a close game.  Pitt was a better match-up for the Colts because they had a great defenses as usual.  We didn't.  In fact it was pretty weak.  Had we beaten the Steelers that year I still don't think the Bengals win against Peyton Manning in the dome with that porous defense.

I thought I remembered that differently, so I had to look it up.  We were the #3 seed in the AFC, Pit was #6, and Indy and Denver were #1 and #2, respectively.  So, had we beaten the Steelers, we as #3 would have went to #2 Denver while #4 NE (after beating Jax) would have went to #1 Indy.  Unfortunately for us (and NE, who went to Denver and lost by two TDs) that didn't happen. I remember at the time thinking we weren't getting by Denver anyway, but who knows.  Also, had we beaten Denver, we might have still faced the Colts anyway after they beat NE, so you're statement still has merit.

Pit went on the road and beat the #1-3 seeds, which is incredible.  I remember watching that Indy game, hoping they could do our dirty work for us.  Colts were down three late in the 4th when Bettis fumbled.  A Colt was on his way to a game-winning TD before Phat Jen lucked out and barely ankle-tackled the guy.  The Colts had to settle for a FG attempt, which Vanderjerk promptly missed, and Pit ran out the clock, *****.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 08:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Happy 70th BengalRed. Rock On

Thank you. Who Dey!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 10:17 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I would like to just give some props to you older guys on this board. I am 43 and been a fan since the late 80s. I remember the 90s but in high school girls were way more interesting than Bengals football at the time even though I still cheered for them. I started watching pretty close the year before we drafted Levi Jones. Man I was pissed when they drafted him. I have zero clue how some of you have followed this team religiously for some of you since the late 60s and 70s. Props to you all because I am tired boys. Just plain tired and out of hope.

Gee, thanks. Nice to get props for being old, if not for contributing anything. 

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fjesustrek.files.wordpre...f=1&nofb=1]
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 10:17 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I would like to just give some props to you older guys on this board. I am 43 and been a fan since the late 80s. I remember the 90s but in high school girls were way more interesting than Bengals football at the time even though I still cheered for them. I started watching pretty close the year before we drafted Levi Jones. Man I was pissed when they drafted him. I have zero clue how some of you have followed this team religiously for some of you since the late 60s and 70s. Props to you all because I am tired boys. Just plain tired and out of hope.

When Paul Brown was around there was always a chance for a decent season and even a SB appearance. We can always hope that those days will return. Yes, he wasn't as successful with the Bengals as he was with the Browns, but he was anything but afraid of making moves. He had no problems making trades and did so often. He also had no problem dismissing bad coaches at the drop of a dime.

Mikey boy is nothing like his father. Hopefully the next generation won't be anything like Mikey just as Mikey was nothing like Paul. We can always hope!

I'm older than Fred. LOL

Reply/Quote
I really feel sorry for the youngins who didn't get to see the Bengals of the 70's and 80's BMB, before Mike Brown. We had our ups and downs but even in the non Super Bowl years we were pretty competitive overall and we weren't afraid of the Steelers.

I'm not sure how anybody that started in the 90's or 00's has stuck around ?
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 11:43 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I really feel sorry for the youngins who didn't get to see the Bengals of the 70's and 80's BMB, before Mike Brown. We had our ups and downs but even in the non Super Bowl years we were pretty competitive overall and we weren't afraid of the Steelers.

Alcohol helps.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 02:14 AM)BengalChris Wrote:  he wasn't as successful with the Bengals as he was with the Browns, but he was anything but afraid of making moves. He had no problems making trades and did so often.

There was no free agency back then but I am pretty sure that 2 members of the W.E.B.B. were draft picks we got from the Bill Bergey trade.

He was also good at finding players from small or more obscure colleges.  I did a thread about it once, but some obvious example are Ken Anderson from Augustana College and 12th round pick Bob Trumpy from Utah.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 11:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote:  There was no free agency back then but I am pretty sure that 2 members of the W.E.B.B. were draft picks we got from the Bill Bergey trade.

He was also good at finding players from small or more obscure colleges.  I did a thread about it once, but some obvious example are Ken Anderson from Augustana College and 12th round pick Bob Trumpy from Utah.

Wasn't Riley from FLA A&M?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 10:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm 61, and have been a Bengals fan since the day they stepped onto the field in '68. I can remember going to family gatherings, where my Dad and all my Uncles were watching football, and as a young kid trying to pick a team to follow. I landed with Bart Starr and the Packers, until Cincinnati fielded a team, which sealed the deal.... root for the home town team. Been a Bengals fan every since.

LOVED the early days at Nippert!  Got to see Lance Allworth, John Hadl and Daryl LaMonica.   Almost at field level in the early fall when it was dry and the whole 3 yards and a cloud of dust was a real thing.  I was 15 and was totally star struck with professional football players.  Seeing them up close after seeing them as black and white dots on a TV screen was beyond awe inspiring.

Kind of took a hiatus when I was in college in New Hampshire, but I always loved my Bengals.   I'll never give them up.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 11:47 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Alcohol helps.

ThumbsUp Rock On Wink Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 07:43 PM)3wt Wrote: LOVED the early days at Nippert!  Got to see Lance Allworth, John Hadl and Daryl LaMonica.   Almost at field level in the early fall when it was dry and the whole 3 yards and a cloud of dust was a real thing.  I was 15 and was totally star struck with professional football players.  Seeing them up close after seeing them as black and white dots on a TV screen was beyond awe inspiring.

Kind of took a hiatus when I was in college in New Hampshire, but I always loved my Bengals.   I'll never give them up.

There was a certain kind of intimacy at Nippert and Crosley that was lost when they went to Riverfront. At least that's the way I remember it, maybe it's just nostalgia, but Riverfront seemed so huge at the time. Hard to believe PBS holds more.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 11:43 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I really feel sorry for the youngins who didn't get to see the Bengals of the 70's and 80's BMB, before Mike Brown. We had our ups and downs but even in the non Super Bowl years we were pretty competitive overall and we weren't afraid of the Steelers.

Good post. My fandom began in '87 & I watched Wyche, Boomer, and company go to the Super Bowl with the no huddle offense. The '88 AFC Championship game against the Bills is probably my favorite Bengals W ever.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 03:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think it's easier to stay a Bengals fan if you're in the local market for games.
You get the games for free on TV regardless of record, so it's all you're going to see week after week.

If you're out of market (like myself), the likelihood of seeing the Bengals when they aren't good greatly diminishes.
The worse they are, the fewer primetime games get televised. If the local team isn't playing the same time as the Bengals, the Bengals still likely won't get televised locally unless they are winning.
So you either have to pay (much) more money just to watch them or you basically hardly ever get to see them. Becomes more difficult keeping up with them.

I think that when you're out of market, it makes it easier and more logical to switch teams or pick a team (or teams) to root for when the Bengals are bad. Personally, I was born and raised in Cincy, which is why I'm a Bengals fan. I wouldn't have chosen them as my team if I wasn't. 
Been in Western NY (Bills) for 20 years.  My kids have grown up as Bills and Bengals fans.  I get Sunday Ticket every year so we can watch the Bengals.  My kids (9 and 12) have completely lost interest in the Bengals.  Losing just sucks, especially when you are a kid.  At least they got to see a playoff win from their home town team the Bills.  I will never be able to be excited for another team like I am the Bengals.

I am definitely numb to the Bengals.  I used to get really upset/excited when I was in my 20's and 30's.  Now at 46, I am completely numb.  I watch games 100% expecting a loss or embarrassment of some kind and feel zero excitement.  That Steelers game, same as the other poster, was probably the first time in 2 full seasons I felt any kind of excitement or stood up from my couch.  Sad.

I love the Bengals, they will always be my team, I will always root for them, but I have absolutely zero faith I will ever see them win anything ever.  Either I will die before it happens or they will move the team before it happens.  Hope I am wrong.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 04:47 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Been in Western NY (Bills) for 20 years.  My kids have grown up as Bills and Bengals fans.  I get Sunday Ticket every year so we can watch the Bengals.  My kids (9 and 12) have completely lost interest in the Bengals.  Losing just sucks, especially when you are a kid.  At least they got to see a playoff win from their home town team the Bills.  I will never be able to be excited for another team like I am the Bengals.

I am definitely numb to the Bengals.  I used to get really upset/excited when I was in my 20's and 30's.  Now at 46, I am completely numb.  I watch games 100% expecting a loss or embarrassment of some kind and feel zero excitement.  That Steelers game, same as the other poster, was probably the first time in 2 full seasons I felt any kind of excitement or stood up from my couch.  Sad.

I love the Bengals, they will always be my team, I will always root for them, but I have absolutely zero faith I will ever see them win anything ever.  Either I will die before it happens or they will move the team before it happens.  Hope I am wrong.

Are you able to get Sunday Ticket without having to actually have DirecTV? I know they offer it, but I believe it's only for places where a dish cannot be put in.
I've been against ever getting Sunday Ticket because I have no interest in having DirecTV.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 04:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Are you able to get Sunday Ticket without having to actually have DirecTV? I know they offer it, but I believe it's only for places where a dish cannot be put in.
I've been against ever getting Sunday Ticket because I have no interest in having DirecTV.

Only in areas where DirecTV is not available (LOS blocked, etc) or where your landlord does not allow a dish to be mounted.  The only TV I watch is some news on a rare occasion, a movie here and there with my family and football, so for me, it really does not matter who the carrier is.

If I were single I wouldn't even care if I had "cable".  I have way to many hobbies to sit on my ass and watch TV.  lol.
Reply/Quote
If you are single or childless, following the bengals teaches you how to manage all the bad frustrating things a marriage or children will bring ya....
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 10:59 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: If you are single or childless, following the bengals teaches you how to manage all the bad frustrating things a marriage or children will bring ya....

If you're single with a child, and the team is bad like they are, it also teaches you that there are better things to do on Sundays sometimes too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote