Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to the sawbones..
I gotta go get yet another stent put in my chest next week. That'll make 6 already. This is getting kind of old, but I did finally quit smoking so at least once I'm all fixed up I won't be doing this over and over..At least I hope not..
Now I'm taking the same drugs my dad had to take for years..Old man drugs.. Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 06:39 PM)grampahol Wrote: I gotta go get yet another stent put in my chest next week. That'll make 6 already. This is getting kind of old, but I did finally quit smoking so at least once I'm all fixed up I won't be doing this over and over..At least I hope not..
Now I'm taking the same drugs my dad had to take for years..Old man drugs.. Mellow

You and the land are one. When you are patched up, so is our O-line.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61nCIyBCmjg
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 06:39 PM)grampahol Wrote: I gotta go get yet another stent put in my chest next week. That'll make 6 already. This is getting kind of old, but I did finally quit smoking so at least once I'm all fixed up I won't be doing this over and over..At least I hope not..

Probably won't make you feel better but my 50 year old coworker had a quadruple bypass a week ago. Has scared the shit out of old me, totally out of shape and eating unhealthy.
Reply/Quote
My dad had bypasses too at my age and had to have a chunk of his aorta removed and replaced with veins from his legs..Then he lived for another 30 years.. I'm not so sure I want to live another 30. I've been the caregiver for 3 very old people and they were all miserable once they reached a certain point. When people reach the age of feebleness it just doesn't seem worth the fight. For all the nice crap younger people might say about caring for elderly people the truth is nobody really wants to do it. I was the only one in 3 different families who would even bother to be the caregiver and I guarantee I'm not doing it again unless it's just me and Sylvia..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I was afraid this thread was going to be about some weird project in your workshop.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 12:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was afraid this thread was going to be about some weird project in your workshop.

I did that a few times before finally purchasing a Sawstop.. After nearly chopping off a fingertip twice I finally decided that was not nearly as much fun as seen on TV and it kind of hurts as well. This time around it's being done by one of the city's highest regarded cardiac surgeons instead of the usual whoever happens to be on call at the ER. Same doc who kept my old man's ticker going all those years..
I really hope this is the last time I have to go through this, but I found out this week that my arteries are not in great shape with multiple lesions that were missed last time around. 
I can't complain since I brought it upon myself by smoking all these years knowing full well what might happen. If I do manage to get my arteries back in decent shape one thing I'll never do again is run my table saw without wearing a mask to keep the fine sawdust out of my lungs. Just in case you didn't know sawdust is a carcinogen and all power saws that are circular in nature regardless of type produce way too much fine dust that you really shouldn't breath in. 
I'm kind of surprised that any kind of hand held power saw is sold to the general public. We live in such a nanny state with so many things that are prohibited from sale to the general public and yet any old fool can purchase and operate a circular saw with absolutely zero training or proof of any kind whatsoever that you know one end of the damned thing from the other.. Oh well...as long as the billionaire class gets to get rich I guess our bodies are expendable..  Mellow
/end of useless rant ..LOL

Reply/Quote
This has been a blast stuck in the hospital now since Thursday. I was completely out Thursday and Friday and didn't come to till Saturday. Turns out I had a nasty case of internal bleeding and needed 8 units of whole blood pumped into me and on top of all this haven't been able to crap since. It's the first time I've ever been in the UCU .Turns out the hole they poked in my groin the artery bursts and it still hurts like hell like someone slugged my gut with a baseball bat.. Going on Monday..they tell me I'm lucky to be alive still. Damned it sucks getting old, but it beats the alternative I suppose although I'm not entirely convinced of that..   

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 02:05 AM)grampahol Wrote: This has been a blast stuck in the hospital now since Thursday. I was completely out Thursday and Friday and didn't come to till Saturday. Turns out I had a nasty case of internal bleeding and needed 8 units of whole blood pumped into me and on top of all this haven't been able to crap since. It's the first time I've ever been in the UCU .Turns out the hole they poked in my groin the artery bursts and it still hurts like hell like someone slugged my gut with a baseball bat.. Going on Monday..they tell me I'm lucky to be alive still. Damned it sucks getting old, but it beats the alternative I suppose although I'm not entirely convinced of that..   

Glad that you made it, though it sounds like things were dicey for a time.  Welcome back!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 02:05 AM)grampahol Wrote: This has been a blast stuck in the hospital now since Thursday. I was completely out Thursday and Friday and didn't come to till Saturday. Turns out I had a nasty case of internal bleeding and needed 8 units of whole blood pumped into me and on top of all this haven't been able to crap since. It's the first time I've ever been in the UCU .Turns out the hole they poked in my groin the artery bursts and it still hurts like hell like someone slugged my gut with a baseball bat.. Going on Monday..they tell me I'm lucky to be alive still. Damned it sucks getting old, but it beats the alternative I suppose although I'm not entirely convinced of that..   

Hope you are feeling better. Sucks that you are in pain but hopefully everything will get fixed and you will be done with it.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 11:43 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Glad that you made it, though it sounds like things were dicey for a time.  Welcome back!

(02-28-2022, 12:34 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Hope you are feeling better. Sucks that you are in pain but hopefully everything will get fixed and you will be done with it.

This ^^^
Reply/Quote
Turns out I was in hemorrhagic shock and only about 30% even live through it. I've never been in so much pain nor so tired. All kinds of funky stuff happening this week. Hospital gave me some hellasious laxative that had everything running straight through me.. It's not fun at all to crap your pants consistently all day, but that's finally resolved thankfully. The catheter they put in me made it nearly impossible to pee on time. The first inkling of needing to pee turns out to wet my pants as well..I'm finally getting better at getting to the can on time..
Cardiologist told me that the overwhelming majority of people who go into this kind of shock also suffer heart attacks and I managed to avoid it. Evidently my heart is in better shape than I thought. 

My gut got really bloated so none of my pants fit right. The best I can do it to zip my pants, but can't fasten them so I zip em up and use my belt 
 This really blows. 
Oh well..it could be worse. I could have kicked off or had brain damage. Just writing this post has taken me about an hour. Everything feels really slow 
I don't recommend that anyone try hemorrhagic shock for  any reason whatsoever. It's been just short of a week now and it feels like 6 months or more. I have no idea how long it'll take to heel properly. 
Thanks for the well wishes..  
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 06:12 AM)grampahol Wrote: Turns out I was in hemorrhagic shock and only about 30% even live through it. I've never been in so much pain nor so tired. All kinds of funky stuff happening this week. Hospital gave me some hellasious laxative that had everything running straight through me.. It's not fun at all to crap your pants consistently all day, but that's finally resolved thankfully. The catheter they put in me made it nearly impossible to pee on time. The first inkling of needing to pee turns out to wet my pants as well..I'm finally getting better at getting to the can on time..
Cardiologist told me that the overwhelming majority of people who go into this kind of shock also suffer heart attacks and I managed to avoid it. Evidently my heart is in better shape than I thought. 

My gut got really bloated so none of my pants fit right. The best I can do it to zip my pants, but can't fasten them so I zip em up and use my belt 
 This really blows. 
Oh well..it could be worse. I could have kicked off or had brain damage. Just writing this post has taken me about an hour. Everything feels really slow 
I don't recommend that anyone try hemorrhagic shock for  any reason whatsoever. It's been just short of a week now and it feels like 6 months or more. I have no idea how long it'll take to heel properly. 
Thanks for the well wishes..  

Sorry to hear you're going through this & I'll continue to hope only the best.
Reply/Quote
Appreciated more than words can describe. If it had happened anywhere besides in a trauma room setting I probably wouldn't be alive. After reading up on this type of shock I'm absolutely convinced it would have killed me. I thought about filing a malpractice suit, but they absolutely saved my life and I'm still not entirely out of the woods yet. I'm still susceptible  to organ failure, any number of infectious issues and so on.
I'll be eternally grateful that I quit smoking just weeks prior..

Reply/Quote
Yey.. Pain is finally easing up, but the swelling is still there.. I'll always be a bit too old to show off my scar to hot chicks..  Oh well, that was never in the works anyway.. "You wanna see my groin scar?" never appeared in the book, How to pick up girls..  Too bad, huh?  Smirk
Just out of endless experiences though, there will never be a shortage of hot girls with really strange imaginations.. I had several convinced that the tat on my arm, MRA stood for My Right Arm..I told em I had MD tattooed elsewhere and they usually were interested..  I'll leave it at that.. If you are a 40 year old virgin and can't figure out how to take advantage of such silliness then, well...maybe you'll finally break your streak of bad luck by the time you hit 100, but don't bet on it.. Hilarious

Reply/Quote
Well F Gramps.... I have to go in Friday morning for another heart cath. Wish I hadn't read this thread. Hope you are mending...
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 09:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Well F Gramps.... I have to go in Friday morning for another heart cath. Wish I hadn't read this thread. Hope you are mending...

Try to avoid the groin insertion if you can help it.. I'd go the wrist direction even though you feel it more.. That deep ass hole in my groin was not nearly as much fun as seen on TV, but I do have a cool ass 5" scar I'll never get a chance to show off to young women.. LOL .. I'm pretty much healed up now, but still have a ways to go to build back up my strength in my legs.. 

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 12:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: Try to avoid the groin insertion if you can help it.. I'd go the wrist direction even though you feel it more.. That deep ass hole in my groin was not nearly as much fun as seen on TV, but I do have a cool ass 5" scar I'll never get a chance to show off to young women.. LOL .. I'm pretty much healed up now, but still have a ways to go to build back up my strength in my legs.. 

This will be my 3rd, and they've always gone through my left wrist. I've also always been asleep when they do it so I never felt it. First time, they woke me up to tell me I had to go to emergency surgery because my LAD was 99.99% blocked and would not walk out of the hospital alive. 2nd time, I was given an all clear.(except for some minor blockages on small vessels. Hoping for the same this time, I really do not want to go through bypass surgery again. What's up with your doctors cathing you awake? Are they just sadistic?
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 02:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This will be my 3rd, and they've always gone through my left wrist. I've also always been asleep when they do it so I never felt it. First time, they woke me up to tell me I had to go to emergency surgery because my LAD was 99.99% blocked and would not walk out of the hospital alive. 2nd time, I was given an all clear.(except for some minor blockages on small vessels. Hoping for the same this time, I really do not want to go through bypass surgery again. What's up with your doctors cathing you awake? Are they just sadistic?

I wasn't awake when they inserted the needle, etc, but woke up during the procedure.. I also woke up last time when I hemorrhaged.. That was no fun. I REALLY don't want to go through it again if I can help it.. It felt like they had parked a cement truck on my hip.. 

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 12:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: Try to avoid the groin insertion if you can help it.. 

[Image: R.adc0caee48cd6264a41db4a6eb726e5d?rik=W...ImgRaw&r=0]
Reply/Quote
I was supposed to show up at 9:30 in the morning. They just called and upped it to 6:30AM. I hope the Cardiologist is awake....
Reply/Quote