Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Back up QB
I think it's time to spend a little $ on a veteran QB.
you never know when you will need em for those 1..to 3 games.
Brandon Allen played poorly, even as a back up. I would spend a little on a back up like Andy Dalton (he's beaten us twice), Tyrod Taylor a Nick Folk.

At this point I don't think Allen is capable even if the rest of the starters played...

yesterday's game made me feel like the last 2 years.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 06:00 PM)OandB Wrote: I think it's time to spend a little $ on a veteran QB.
Brandon Allen played poorly, even as a back up. I would spend a little on a back up like Andy Dalton (he's beaten us twice), Tyrod Taylor a Nick Folk.

At this point I don't think Allen is capable even if the rest of the starters played...

2022 FA QBs I was looking at:

Ryan Fitzpatrick
Andy Dalton
Mike White
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Brandon Allen was hard to watch.

Just put a RB in there and run every odd passing play. I mean look at the Ravens and Lamar Jackson. He developed into a decent passer after 2 years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I was wondering if someone was going to bring this up. I agree with you. If Burrow goes down for any extended time we're done.
Reply/Quote
Yep, Allen needs to go. My pick would be Fitzy first, then Dalton. Both have been here and are familiar with the organization.
Reply/Quote
The crazy part was if Allen had even played competent football we would have beaten the Stains handily. Which would have put us in the 3 seed with New England coming to town.

Yes we need a functional backup - obviously not a superstar but someone who can perform progressions and throw accurate passes at least in the short/medium band.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure Dalton would have interest in returning since he had longevity as a starter but Fitzpatrick is a good choice. I'm not opposed to using a 5th rounder to draft a youngster who has the talent to step in if something bad happens to Burrow. I don't know if any top-notch developmental projects are available in the '22 draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 06:42 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm not sure Dalton would have interest in returning since he had longevity as a starter but Fitzpatrick is a good choice. I'm not opposed to using a 5th rounder to draft a youngster who has the talent to step in if something bad happens to Burrow. I don't know if any top-notch developmental projects are available in the '22 draft.

Bailey Zappe  Smirk
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 06:45 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Bailey Zappe  Smirk

Hi, Bailey Zappe's dad.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 06:47 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Hi, Bailey Zappe's dad.

Damn, he's my kid????
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 06:00 PM)OandB Wrote: I think it's time to spend a little $ on a veteran QB.

I was thinking the same thing and felt transported back to last year after Burrow went down. If we needed a backup short term season would tank  because Allen just stinks..
Reply/Quote

exactly what i was thinking too ...i mean if Burrow is out long term again then we are obviously in big trouble but with the wider squad we have built it would be a shame if we lost a season due to Brandon Allen not even being competent for say a 2,3 game stretch.

Know we won't get a rock star but someone who can get the plays off without burning timeouts, hold on to the ball with 2 hands and not fumble, etc is not exactly a high bar
Reply/Quote
I said last year that Allen was a bad QB, even for a backup.
People got too enamored with his game against the Texans, who were near the bottom of the league on defense.

I agree with the OP that the Bengals should invest in a better backup as insurance, as next year is a really big year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Think Rivers has time between retirement and his 500 kids.
Reply/Quote
Remember when McCarron was worth "multiple high draft picks" in trade value? LMFAO! 

Drafting a mobile guy who can be developed into a decent second string seems like the way to go. If this team is getting deep into the playoffs multiple years in a row, maybe then it's time to splurge for a high end backup. Guys like Dalton or Fitz aren't going to come cheap. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 07:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I said last year that Allen was a bad QB, even for a backup.
People got too enamored with his game against the Texans, who were near the bottom of the league on defense.

I agree with the OP that the Bengals should invest in a better backup as insurance, as next year is a really big year.

How did he beat out Finley?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 07:20 PM)Interceptor Wrote: How did he beat out Finley?

I mean...have you seen Finley play QB?  Hilarious

Across 4 starts for Finley:
48.7% completion
638 yards (159.5 YPG)
3 TDs
4 INTs
59.4 QB Rating

Not hard for a QB to be better than that and still be bad.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Baker Mayfield should be available for cheap :)

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 07:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I mean...have you seen Finley play QB?  Hilarious

Across 4 starts for Finley:
48.7% completion
638 yards (159.5 YPG)
3 TDs
4 INTs
59.4 QB Rating

Not hard for a QB to be better than that and still be bad.

So Allen's game vs Texans beat out Finley's game vs Steelers.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 07:28 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Baker Mayfield should be available for cheap :)

We're looking for a GOOD backup.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote