Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Back up QB
Be fair he was playing with backups competing against starters and still wasn't abysmal relax.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 07:28 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Baker Mayfield should be available for cheap :)

Eww.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 07:51 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Be fair he was playing with backups competing against starters and still wasn't abysmal relax.

I think everyone is being fair. This isn't based on 1 performance. He sucks. We were talking about this in another thread that it's time to replace him. He's played more like a PS QB than a 2nd stringer. He's nothing but a body, literally. 

Reply/Quote
Should be a few to chose from in off season.

Think Aaron Rodgers would mind being Joe's back up ? Ninja

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Agree I was thinking we need to address this for the upcoming year. My fear is Burrow goes onto COVID list at some point during playoffs and we have to try to get a W with this clown. Just brutal.
Reply/Quote
I think Andy is making $10 million. I think that’s pretty steep if that’s still his market value next year.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
If Fitzy became available, the Bengals would do well to go get him. I wouldn’t think he’d be too expensive. That guy has seen and played a LOT of football. It would be like having another QB coach on the staff when he doesn’t play.
I wouldn’t spend draft capital on a guy to develop. I would get a vet who has played some games and find a young UDFA to stash on the PS.
After watching BA last year, and then yesterday, I cannot for the life of me see what Coach Taylor sees in the guy. You mean to tell me there wasn’t a better option or two out there last year before you went and immediately resigned this guy (at the start of FA too, if memory serves me)?!
Reply/Quote
At 35 years old, Dalton has now settled into the very specific category of "guy who is too old/no longer good enough to be the unquestioned starter, but too good to settle for a standard backup role". LOL

We have almost 0 chance to sign either. They look for situations that give them the best opportunity to see playing time, so they can keep their value high.

There has to be someone who will upgrade Allen though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Drafting a rookie doesn't do a lot of good because we need someone who can come off the bench cold without getting a lot of reps in practice.

Veteran back ups are not really that expensive. I am not saying any of the following guys a great QBs, but they are veteran starters who would be good as a #2. And they all made less than $3 million this year

Mitch Trubisky
Blaine Gabbert
Chad Henne
Mike Glennon
Geno Smith
A.J. McCarron
Colt McCoy
Chase Daniel
Brian Hoyer
Trevor Siemian

Marcus Mariota, who is better than some guys starting on other teams, only made $3.5 million this year.

A team can get by with a poor back up at most positions for 2 or 3 games, but a bad QB can cost you all those games and knock you out of the playoffs. It is worth it to spend $3 million or so on a decent experienced veteran #2 QB.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 12:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Drafting a rookie doesn't do a lot of good because we need someone who can come off the bench cold without getting a lot of reps in practice.

Veteran back ups are not really that expensive.  I am not saying any of the following guys a great QBs, but they are veteran starters who would be good as a #2.  And they all made less than $3 million this year

Mitch Trubisky
Blaine Gabbert
Chad Henne
Mike Glennon
Geno Smith
A.J. McCarron
Colt McCoy
Chase Daniel
Brian Hoyer
Trevor Siemian

Marcus Mariota, who is better than some guys starting on other teams, only made $3.5 million this year.

A team can get by with a poor back up at most positions for 2 or 3 games, but a bad QB can cost you all those games and knock you out of the playoffs.  It is worth it to spend $3 million or so on a decent experienced veteran #2 QB.

Brandon Allen makes $1.5 million. I would take any of those guys over him. Poorly named article explaining his contract below.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/7/20/22542768/brandon-allen-has-earned-the-right-to-be-joe-burrows-backup
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 02:02 AM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Brandon Allen makes $1.5 million. I would take any of those guys over him. Poorly named article explaining his contract below.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/7/20/22542768/brandon-allen-has-earned-the-right-to-be-joe-burrows-backup

Except Geno Smith. He seems to have bad luck on the field wherever he goes.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 12:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Drafting a rookie doesn't do a lot of good because we need someone who can come off the bench cold without getting a lot of reps in practice.

Veteran back ups are not really that expensive.  I am not saying any of the following guys a great QBs, but they are veteran starters who would be good as a #2.  And they all made less than $3 million this year

Mitch Trubisky
Blaine Gabbert
Chad Henne
Mike Glennon
Geno Smith
A.J. McCarron
Colt McCoy
Chase Daniel
Brian Hoyer
Trevor Siemian

A team can get by with a poor back up at most positions for 2 or 3 games, but a bad QB can cost you all those games and knock you out of the playoffs.  It is worth it to spend $3 million or so on a decent experienced veteran #2 QB.

Geno was just arrested on a DUI, so if Zac's character mantra holds up for who he brings to the team I'm guessing he's off the short list. Now a guy like Mariota is intriguing because of the wildcat option. If the backup QB can also be used for the occasional catch the opposing defense sleeping scenario, I'm for it. 

I'd not be opposed to a youthful QB even if it means "Burrow or bust" because even with the most seasoned veteran backup QB, it's still "Burrow or bust."
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 06:42 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm not sure Dalton would have interest in returning since he had longevity as a starter but Fitzpatrick is a good choice. I'm not opposed to using a 5th rounder to draft a youngster who has the talent to step in if something bad happens to Burrow. I don't know if any top-notch developmental projects are available in the '22 draft.

I don't know, Dalton is a very level headed guy.  Probably realizes he's on the back end of a pretty good career.  Why not go back where it all started and enjoy the ride until retirement.  Get a few more years on the old pension.

And he can win some games if needed, which I hope would never happen.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 10:29 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I don't know, Dalton is a very level headed guy.  Probably realizes he's on the back end of a pretty good career.  Why not go back where it all started and enjoy the ride until retirement.  Get a few more years on the old pension.

And he would have a shot at getting a ring.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 10:29 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I don't know, Dalton is a very level headed guy.  Probably realizes he's on the back end of a pretty good career.  Why not go back where it all started and enjoy the ride until retirement.  Get a few more years on the old pension.

I don't think Dalton would be opposed based on any ill will toward the Bengals. My speculation is he wants to still try and be a starter and he doesn't get that chance in Cincinnati. It's all speculation, but would Dalton really want to come back to the team that was his team for many, many, many years to serve as a backup to the coach that moved on from him? Who knows, it's not impossible to consider. My instinct tells me Dalton never suits up for the Bengals again. I do think he'd be great in the role.
Reply/Quote