Poll: Who will be the backup QB?
Matt Barkley
Jeff Driskel
Logan Woodside
Other
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup QB
After listening to the latest BBP I got to wondering about our backup spot. Who do you think will backup Dalton this year? I have a feeling we'll be going back to the 2 QB depth chart.

We signed Matt Barkley this offseason, but let's be real, he's not impressive. He was with Lazor in Philly, and Marvin said they were impressed with him in a workout last year, but they didn't sign him. He's bounced around the league and I'm still baffled to remember he was only drafted in 2013. He only has 250k in dead money if we cut him and he'd free up about $1 million in cap room. 

Jeff Driskel is the wild card in all of this. The Bengals have kept him on the 53, but they also don't seem high on him. I don't think we would've signed Barkley if we were sold on him being the unquestioned backup. We don't really know what he can do. I mean he broke his arm playing scout team WR. I don't see him getting trick play snaps if he's the #2  

I don't see Woodside making the 53, but who knows? The Bengals were contemplating trading up into the 6th to get him. They might give him a legit shot at winning the backup spot. I still think he winds up on the PS with the hope of him competing next year.

Or do you think our eventual isn't even on the roster yet? We've seen the Bengals shock us with the Driskel claim or the Fitzpatrick trade.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
At this point I have no idea. I guess I'd lean with Woodside because the Bengals claimed they had a pretty high grade on him. They supposedly had him and Rudolph about even. Then again, Barkley and Driskel have more experience with Lazor and the offense.

If I were them, I'd keep an eye out for other veterans or future cuts. We could do better for sure.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Woodside- looks pretty close to Andy Dalton.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I think we should sign a veteran. Someone who's actually won NFL games. If Dalton were to get hurt we would have absolutely 0 chance to win with Matt Barkley. Sign Derek Anderson. He's proven himself in this league and would at least give us a chance. He would only cost around 3 million.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 02:54 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: I think we should sign a veteran.   Someone who's actually won NFL games.   If Dalton were to get hurt we would have absolutely 0 chance to win with Matt Barkley.   Sign Derek Anderson.   He's proven himself in this league and would at least give us a chance.   He would only cost around 3 million.

Lets bring on K Winslow JR while we're at it. Get the gang back together LOL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Westside!
Reply/Quote
I don't see Barkley winning the job because I expect the staff to go after upside with the backup qb position.  Driskel's athleticism has been intriguing at times, but the fact that the coaching staff asked him to take reps at WR tells me that they don't envision him as the designated backup of the future.  Logan Woodside looked like a natural quick release/west coast sort of passer who may someday be able to "Doug Flutie" his way down the field at an NFL level.  My guess is that they roll the dice on the most unknown QB in the room, as well as on the potential of having a solid backup for years on a 7th round rookie salary.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 03:19 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I don't see Barkley winning the job because I expect the staff to go after upside with the backup qb position.  Driskel's athleticism has been intriguing at times, but the fact that the coaching staff asked him to take reps at WR tells me that they don't envision him as the designated backup of the future.  Logan Woodside looked like a natural quick release/west coast sort of passer who may someday be able to "Doug Flutie" his way down the field at an NFL level.  My guess is that they roll the dice on the most unknown QB in the room, as well as on the potential of having a solid backup for years on a 7th round rookie salary.

Well, if you think about it, having Driskell take snaps at WR does not really mean they don't envision him as a backup in the future. What it means is they were trying to get his athleticism on the field when he was stuck behind McCarron as the #3 QB..... to me it says they thought he was too good to be just sitting there, and were looking for a way to use him.
Reply/Quote
It would be really cool if Woodside panned out, but I'm inclined to think he doesn't make the roster.

Between Barkley and Driskel, I'd probably lean towards Driskel right now.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
One of the experienced guys this year (Probably Driskel) while Woodside learns. Unless you make a rookie the number 2 from the first day of camp I think it would be impossible to get him enough snaps to be ready to come off the bench cold in the middle of the season.

But by next year Woodside is our #2.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 03:19 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I don't see Barkley winning the job because I expect the staff to go after upside with the backup qb position.  Driskel's athleticism has been intriguing at times, but the fact that the coaching staff asked him to take reps at WR tells me that they don't envision him as the designated backup of the future.  Logan Woodside looked like a natural quick release/west coast sort of passer who may someday be able to "Doug Flutie" his way down the field at an NFL level.  My guess is that they roll the dice on the most unknown QB in the room, as well as on the potential of having a solid backup for years on a 7th round rookie salary.
I believe it was Lazor that said, "We needed bodies to play WR in practice". And that was the only reason Driskel was at WR.

I voted Driskel, with us running more RPOs this year, he could be lethal....
Reply/Quote
Since the question is who WILL be backup QB and now who SHOULD be, I chose Barkley. We know the coaching staff is in all likelihood going to go with the "safer" pick of Barkley which, IMO, would be turrible. I think Driskely won the backup QB spot last offseason and I think it should be his to lose.

Ideally, Woodside shows enough that the coaches will go with him as backup so that the team only carries 2 QBs this season
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 03:09 AM)CloeHokie Wrote: Westside!

Cloe? Where the heck you been? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I went with...
[Image: latest?cb=20140316154315]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm liking Woodside until proven wrong. I don't even know if he can get to the practice squad without another team grabbing him first. Some teams QBs will be injured enough that they'll be desperate..Heck ,it could be us for that matter. The fact that he was drafted at all means that they thought enough about him to not try to get him as an undrafted free agent. 
In my fantasy ideal world all the other QBs get hurt and Woodside has to start game one and takes us to the super bowl and wins..  Stranger things have happened in the game.  
Andy would spend the rest of his life repeating the words WOULDA COULDA SHOULDA.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Where is the option that Dalton is the backup QB? I'm wild for Woodside!
Reply/Quote
Being as Woodside is a hometown kid and went to High School with my daughter, I would love to see him become the #2 QB for the Bengals. Not sure it will happen though. Driskell has the edge right now...
Reply/Quote
They're likely to go into the year with Driskel as the backup, Barkley on his couch a phone call away and Woodside on the PS.

If they throw in the towel near the end of the preseason, I don't know what's going to be out there. I would have thought Matt Moore would be a descent signing, but if Lazor didn't pound the table for him or the cost wasn't right that ship has sailed. If Cutler is retired and Kaep is still locked out, there may not be much out there. There are a few teams with solid backup options and rookie qb's, so it will come down to how many teams carry a 3rd QB.

current depth charts around the league:
http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/QB
Reply/Quote
Driskel, i was impressed with him big time last Preseason. He really beat out AJM from all i saw.

Great athlete, but he also has a nice throwing motion. Need to know more about Woodside, i don't know much about him.
Reply/Quote
Quinton Flowers RPO nightmare kind of on the small side but finds the open man. We will need to see all these guys in preseason before we can make a call on a backup though.
Reply/Quote