Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup QB Competition
We have Matt Barkley and Driskel.

Would we be interested in Kevin Hogan to compete for the backup spot in lew of drafting another QB   If they had let the dude start more full games in Cleveland they might have won some games.   He brought them close in most games after coming in late for Kiser
Reply/Quote
I’d take him over Barkley
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd have to look at the depth charts, but if a team drafts a rookie and has too many bodies you may see a vet or reclamation project hit the streets. Cincy would then be a prime spot for that player to view as a place they can beat out a player coming off of an injury or guy that's only there because of the system.

The Jets are likely to take a QB, and after signing two vets you'd have to think that Hackenberg and/or Petty are gone. Hogan is another possibility. They also may be a prime spot for a UFA to target, though with so many 7th round picks they're likely to have "their guy" as a developmental guy to put on the PS.
Reply/Quote
I wish it was Driskel's spot to lose, but you KNOW that Merv is going to go with the "veteran" Barkley as the primary backup. Driskel clearly won the backup QB spot in last season's preseason, IMO, but at least, I understood why they went with McCarron given his situation. There's no excuse this season unless Barkley actually outplays Driskel in the preseason, but I'd honestly be surprised if that happened.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I see Barkley as a stopgap as he worked with Lazor before. I expect us to draft a QB this year between Rds 3-5.
Reply/Quote
Johnny Football!!!!
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 06:15 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I wish it was Driskel's spot to lose, but you KNOW that Merv is going to go with the "veteran" Barkley as the primary backup. Driskel clearly won the backup QB spot in last season's preseason, IMO, but at least, I understood why they went with McCarron given his situation. There's no excuse this season unless Barkley actually outplays Driskel in the preseason, but I'd honestly be surprised if that happened.

My thoughts exactly, i like Driskel and think he will outplay any backup QB we bring in unless we Draft a QB pretty high which won't happen.
Reply/Quote
Either Barkley and Driskel should suffice as the backup QB. Nine times out of ten the season is basically over when the QB1 gets injured anyways, so I think it's better to keep a young guy who is unproven as the backup versus one of those ancient veteran guys who floats around forever. My vote would be for Driskel or a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 07:22 PM)Domata94 Wrote: Either Barkley and Driskel should suffice as the backup QB. Nine times out of ten the season is basically over when the QB1 gets injured anyways, so I think it's better to keep a young guy who is unproven as the backup versus one of those ancient veteran guys who floats around forever. My vote would be for Driskel or a rookie.

I get the thought... But my vote is always for the player that outperforms the other players at the position.  If barkey I'm fine with it or Driskel or a rookie or any other FA that might be signed.

Hogan is off the table though.     So I don't see much else happening here outside a late round QB pick..   or else the draft wont look anything like we expect lol
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 05:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I get the thought... But my vote is always for the player that outperforms the other players at the position.  If barkey I'm fine with it or Driskel or a rookie or any other FA that might be signed.

Hogan is off the table though.     So I don't see much else happening here outside a late round QB pick..   or else the draft wont look anything like we expect lol

Wouldn't mind Luke Falk or Riley Ferguson late...
Reply/Quote