Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup Quarterback
[Image: Taylor-Lautner-Pointing-Saying-No.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 09:16 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: It feels like Robert Griffin III is well on his way out of Washington. They've been trying to find a trade partner but no one was biting much. Would you take RG3 as a backup Quarterback if he were to actually get released?

I always liked his potential and the fact that he's a smart guy, but for whatever reason he's been such a head case since he had his first injury :S

What do ya'll think of the possibilities?

Here is the dilemma.

We would have to waste a roster spot if we added Griffin so we would have to cut another talented player as we normally on have 2 QB's on our 53 man roster. I don't want to cut AD or AJ so no, I would not even consider it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 11:01 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I'd welcome him with open arms. He's 25 years old and has been hit by the injury bug big time. I think if you structure the offense to suit his strengths, you can have a productive QB. You've got a talented kid that needs a change of scenery.

I know people will hate this opinion but as everyone knows I couldn't care less.

Your stupidity and hatred for AD knows no bounds.

I guess you also have no issue with his high salary that comes with him in a trade too.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 09:16 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: It feels like Robert Griffin III is well on his way out of Washington. They've been trying to find a trade partner but no one was biting much. Would you take RG3 as a backup Quarterback if he were to actually get released?

I always liked his potential and the fact that he's a smart guy, but for whatever reason he's been such a head case since he had his first injury :S

At this point no... Id rather roll with mccarron.... RGIII doesnt seem to fit into a grudenish system maybe he would fit better with Hue and some read options.

but so many here would be upset at losing mccarron i think... Who knows RGIII could be a prefect fit for hue. but based on rumors of him not being good in the locker room or with teammates im not sure the bengals will take a shot. We will see though,
Reply/Quote
When RGIII first came into the league I really thought he was going to be a super star. He's not ! He's not a team player and is quick to place blame elsewhere besides himself, he's a true locker room cancer.

Add in that despite being very smart his football IQ is in the basement and in a word.

NO
Reply/Quote
Cousins has been named the starter in Washington, per reports.

lulz
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 09:27 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm fine with McCarron.

Same here. No need for RG3, we have enough running backs lol.
Reply/Quote
No sir......McCarron is showing potential, and Andy is Andy.....as others have said, and I said at the start of the Dalton contract talks, I'd rather have Cousins.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'd rather see what the Bengals have in AJ McCarron and maybe take a flier on the recently-released Zac Dysert. I watched a lot of Dysert since I went to Miami. He's got great measurables, got a good evaluation from scouts, and sat behind Peyton Manning.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

I like our backup QB right now honestly.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 10:20 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I guess you also have no issue with his high salary that comes with him in a trade too.

Well, to be fair, he wouldn't cost much at all. 

1.) He was drafted after the recent collective bargaining agreement. (His contract is a fraction of what it would have been prior)
2.) I just just checked his contract numbers.  He signed for 4 years 21 years, with the 13 million of that paid upfront.  His base salary, which is what would come over with him, is only 3.2 mil.
3.) He's a free agent at the end of the this season, with a club option for anyone who is insane enough to want to pay him 16 mil.  Regardless, you're off the hook after 1 year.
4.) Lord knows, if any team can afford to take on incoming players it's us.  I think we have about 15 mil in unused space, another 10 mil in rollover, about 27 mil set aside for injuries settlements, and 5 mil for Mike's GM bonus.  All in all, I think we have somewhere around 185 mil in cap space. (Feel free to check my math)

I don't want him, I made that much clear.  But if you're going to call Corner "stupid" and use his salary as a potential reason then I would suggest reconsidering your word choice or coming up with a better counter.  Better yet, just say he stinks and you don't like him.  Acting like we can't afford a rookie contract in 2015 is downright laughable.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 12:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like our backup QB right now honestly.

I gotta agree. Andy is Andy, and AJ looks promising.

Hard pass.
Reply/Quote

I don't know how you consider the guy smart..... He wasn't smart enough to keep himself healthy.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 12:30 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Well, to be fair, he wouldn't cost much at all. 

1.) He was drafted after the recent collective bargaining agreement. (His contract is a fraction of what it would have been prior)
2.) I just just checked his contract numbers.  He signed for 4 years 21 years, with the 13 million of that paid upfront.  His base salary, which is what would come over with him, is only 3.2 mil.
3.) He's a free agent at the end of the this season, with a club option for anyone who is insane enough to want to pay him 16 mil.  Regardless, you're off the hook after 1 year.
4.) Lord knows, if any team can afford to take on incoming players it's us.  I think we have about 15 mil in unused space, another 10 mil in rollover, about 27 mil set aside for injuries settlements, and 5 mil for Mike's GM bonus.  All in all, I think we have somewhere around 185 mil in cap space. (Feel free to check my math)

I don't want him, I made that much clear.  But if you're going to call Corner "stupid" and use his salary as a potential reason then I would suggest reconsidering your word choice or coming up with a better counter.  Better yet, just say he stinks and you don't like him.  Acting like we can't afford a rookie contract in 2015 is downright laughable.

You think a backup QB is worth 3.2 million when we have one now for $800K?

Also, he will be a FA soon, if he does play and play well, he will command more than $3.2 million. If he does not play, he will likely go find a new deal so in essence we would be trading for a backup QB making $3.2 million, lose a pick and also lose Griffin (and AJ as we don't ever keep 3 QB's) so we need a new backup or starter in 2016.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 01:09 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I don't know how you consider the guy smart..... He wasn't smart enough to keep himself healthy.

I don't want or like the guy.....but he did very well in studies at Baylor.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
he doesn't make the team better.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 01:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You think a backup QB is worth 3.2 million when we have one now for $800K?

Also, he will be a FA soon, if he does play and play well, he will command more than $3.2 million. If he does not play, he will likely go find a new deal so in essence we would be trading for a backup QB making $3.2 million, lose a pick and also lose Griffin (and AJ as we don't ever keep 3 QB's) so we need a new backup or starter in 2016.

I'm not sure how many times I need to say it, but I hope this is the last:  I don't want him.  So no, I personally don't think he's worth 3.2 million.  I wouldn't even want him at the league minimum.  I don't think he's very good, I don't think he solves any long term problems, and I think he would be a distraction.

Did I just make all that clear?

My point, which was a counter to your counter, was simply that we can most certainly afford him.  That doesn't mean I want him, nor does it delve into how I value the backup position.  It just means that we have the financial means to do it.  Apparently for whatever reason Corner think he could help.  I don't know if that's immediately or long term.  I don't know if that's as a starter, a backup, or having a QB competition.  You'll have to ask him these questions.

All I'm saying is that if you're going to call him stupid then you better give a better reason than mentioning the contract that he would come with.  It's not that much and we have more than enough room to take it on.  If you want to debate anything other than that idea then I would suggest directing your attention to someone who actually wants him.
Reply/Quote
You know you're bad when your coach seems to be taking part in a manipulation of information just to keep you off the field.

Please God no. Mikey wouldn't do that to us, would he?
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 10:55 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: When RGIII first came into the league I really thought he was going to be a super star. He's not ! He's not a team player and is quick to place blame elsewhere besides himself, he's a true locker room cancer.

Add in that despite being very smart his football IQ is in the basement and in a word.

NO

Its the first year curse.

The second year always paints a true picture.

DCs in this league are too good and once they get tape on you talent only takes you so far.

No room for RGme here.
Im loving the chemistry our team has.
Reply/Quote
I don't see RG3 getting cut....but if he does......him and his agent are going to have to come way, way, way down on his price tag before any team would even consider him as a back-up....and it may be to early to consider him a back-up......I still say coaches used him wrong. The guy can throw, but because he is black he is suppose to be a running QB in the NFL. Coaches got him killed with that running jazz. Heck, his first year, Bengals clocked him hard as Redskins had RG3 running Woody Hayes wishbone QB option plays and even the Statue Of Liberty play was used in that game. Bengals clobber RG3 as a rookie, but I blame the coaches. ....Bears great Dick Butkus was asked in 1970 if the wishbone would work in the NFL. He said, " No. Not in the NFL. We work for a living. This is our job. I intend to keep my job. If a QB breaks off a run on me once or twice, he won't live to break off a run on me a third time. I will put him in the hospital. My job is on the line. Wishbone, not in the NFL "......RG3 could throw, but bad coaching got him killed early and often. ...If some team would just let him be an NFL passing QB, and not a college type running QB, the guy can throw. ....The NFL needs to get over the old idea that blacks can't play QB, and if they do play, they have to be like a running back. I would have thought Warren Moon showed that isn't true. Old time thinking got RG3 killed.......but again, the question of RG3 as a back-up QB here ?....not at his price tag, not for a back-up. If he is ever reduced to back-up, RG3 and his agent need to take a huge pay cut.

I don't see it happening and we will have Dalton starting and McCarron as back-up going into 2015.

A QB can not run those option plays were they roll out and keep the ball until almost tackled and then pitch to a running back as the QB gets clobbered. In the NFL, you do not have a game plan where you get your QB clobbered every play as Washington did. My word, in his rookie year against Bengals, they even had RG3 run the delayed Statue Of Liberty play, letting RG3 get killed as the running back took the ball late on an end run. I felt sorry for him. I wanted Bengals to win and we did, the Sanu pass was great. Bengals layed some shots on him and I could see that Washington coaches were going to get him killed. Those grade school plays don't work in the NFL. You can't go Woody Hayes in the NFL, without putting your QB's in the hospital. Washington had this idea that they could run these slow developing tricky razzle dazzle option plays all day long and RG3 was so big, no defense could stop it. Well, Atkins and company knocked him out of the game. Those plays don't work in the NFL and have no business in an NFL playbook. Washington got a top draft pick killed, and that's not very smart by the coaches and owners.....Now you can run the pitch out plays as Dallas did in the 70's, but you can not have the QB keep the ball to the last second and pitch as he gets clobbered, not in the NFL. Those coaches drafted RG3 high, owner paid him plenty, and then they made a tackling dummy out of him. It made no sense. Oh yes, he is black, he should have been able to run the wishbone in the NFL. WRONG....Had they just let him pass....had they just let him pass...It was and still is a race issue in the NFL. For decades, blacks were considered not able to QB. That has changes to, blacks can QB but they have to run a lot. Warren Moon showed that is just backwards thinking. Washington picked high and paid plenty but backwards thinking got him killed and has set back him and the team. Sorry, but it is a race issue and the NFL needs to wake up. RG3 should have been brought in as a passing QB, like all the white guys, he might not be as injured now. He made some nice passes against the Bengals, until the poor coaching got him killed. The # 1 job of an NFL team is to protect the franchise QB, and Washington never even tried to protect the franchise QB, leaving him a punching bag on option plays. That is stupid coaching in the NFL.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote