Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad News
My mother just got a call from Columbus and I'm not going to be included in the stem cell trial.

They said that my injury is too diffuse and too many different areas of my brain are damaged, whereas they're just looking for brains with one area to focus on.

I'm kind of blown away by all this because I thought it was a done deal and I'm not even sure what to say, but thank you for all the prayers.
Reply/Quote
Hate to hear it Brad, but don't give up hope. Just because the trial might not work out, there could still be hope on the horizon.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sad

Reply/Quote
The good news is that there is so much experimental Stem Cell Research going on, that there should be other opportunities. How did you come into connection with this past research team? It may be time to see if you can network and find others doing similar research.
Reply/Quote
I'm sorry to hear that news. Stay positive and have faith. It seems the science is moving towards answers.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
They are focusing on one area now but later on in let's say five years after progress has been made, they will start focusing on multiple areas at one time.

These researchers have you in their "Potential" file and you will be the first one called after these trials...or let's hope anyway.
Reply/Quote
Keep the Faith.
Reply/Quote
Thank you to everyone.  I've emailed them looking for answers and tried to see if I could even raise money to buy my way into the trial (aside from the six in the actual trial) because I'm that confident in it working (and buying my way in aside from the initial six would also guarantee *I assume* that I'm not the placebo.

I'm not giving up. 
(11-21-2017, 03:06 PM)Benton Wrote: Hate to hear it Brad, but don't give up hope. Just because the trial might not work out, there could still be hope on the horizon.
I'm doing a lot better today and I think I've been doing pretty well considering the circumstances, so I'm going to keep rocking it in life and, if something does come along, great, but I'm going to keep being me.
(11-21-2017, 03:25 PM)treee Wrote: The good news is that there is so much experimental Stem Cell Research going on, that there should be other opportunities. How did you come into connection with this past research team? It may be time to see if you can network and find others doing similar research.
My aunt actually saw something on a TV talk show (I think) and suggested that I apply, so I did thinking there would be no chance I'd be selected, but then they picked me for the first step and then I made it through a few more steps into this final one before they just told us that I'm out.
(11-21-2017, 05:30 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: They are focusing on one area now but later on in let's say five years after progress has been made, they will start focusing on multiple areas at one time.

These researchers have you in their "Potential" file and you will be the first one called after these trials...or let's hope anyway.

Hopefully, but who knows.

I'm going to keep presenting to schools, keep trying to improve on my own, keep enjoying life, and keep just trying to make a difference in the while I can.
Reply/Quote
Sorry to hear it. Seems weird that they wouldn't have known you didn't fit a long time ago, but I probably don't really understand the process.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Sorry to learn that, Brad. However, I am uplifted that you're not giving up hope. As was mentioned, Science continues to find answers to things previously unknown, every day.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 05:30 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: They are focusing on one area now but later on in let's say five years after progress has been made, they will start focusing on multiple areas at one time.

This ^^^

They are trying to prove results under specific conditions, and it's unfortunate that you don't meet that limited criteria.

But it they prove success for the these specific set of circumstances, that will open other windows for them to advance the treatment in that lane as well as advance to other conditions for which it could also be a viable treatment.

In other words, this isn't the end of the line.  It's just the beginning, so don't allow your hope to fade.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 10:13 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Sorry to hear it. Seems weird that they wouldn't have known you didn't fit a long time ago, but I probably don't really understand the process.
I know, especially since they had already seen my brain scan, so it's not like it was their first time seeing it and they were in shock when they saw the results of the scan they gave me in Columbus.
(11-24-2017, 11:15 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sorry to learn that, Brad. However, I am uplifted that you're not giving up hope. As was mentioned, Science continues to find answers to things previously unknown, every day.

Thanks. I don't know how to quit.

I never thought that this was even a possibility, so who knows what the future will bring.
Reply/Quote
Hate to hear it, but glad to see you're still in the fight.  Keep the faith, as others have noted, this may just be the tip of the iceberg.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 12:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hate to hear it, but glad to see you're still in the fight.  Keep the faith, as others have noted, this may just be the tip of the iceberg.

It was a blow, but I'm already pretty much not thinking about it at all when it was the only thing I could think about the first few days.

I'm about to go to the gym soon, keep on working out on my own, get back into the swing of things, and keep on trying to improve on my own.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote