Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad Streaks Always Start After Playing the Steelers
It's true.

Let's look at three famous catastrophes in Cincinnati Bengals history.

January 2006: Following a stellar 11-5 season, the Bengals faced the Steelers in the playoffs. Carson Palmer and Chris Henry go down on the same play, Chad Johnson loses control at half time and take a swing at then-wide receivers coach Hue Jackson, Marvin Lewis loses control of the team, and the Bengals implode in the second half. It would be four years before the Bengals made the playoffs again.

January 2016: Despite missing Andy Dalton due to injury, the Bengals finished 12-4 and led the Steelers with minutes to go in another playoff game. Jeremy Hill fumbles, Adam Jones and Vontaze Burfict commit costly personal fouls, and once again Marvin loses control of the team. The Bengals have yet to return to the playoffs.

October 2018: Cincinnati is sporting a respectable 4-1 record and Andy Dalton leads the Bengals to a late fourth quarter lead against the Steelers. Things were looking good. Unfortunately the defense brain farts and allows the Steelers to march down the field and take the lead for good. When Pittsburgh went for a two point conversion, Teryl Austin called a defensive play at the goal line which the Bengals had never practiced. The Steelers successfully converted and won. The Bengals have won just one game since that abysmal performance against the Steelers and that was a narrow win over Tampa Bay.

Now I don't pretend to know why this happens. Pittsburgh is just another NFL team but its obvious Cincinnati is afraid to play them. I don't get it. For some reason losing to the Steelers in critical games creates a lasting negative effect for the Bengals.

Or maybe, just maybe, Marvin Lewis wears a Steelers jersey to bed at night.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 02:49 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It's true.

Let's look at three famous catastrophes in Cincinnati Bengals history.

January 2006:  Following a stellar 11-5 season, the Bengals faced the Steelers in the playoffs.  Carson Palmer and Chris Henry go down on the same play, Chad Johnson loses control at half time and take a swing at then-wide receivers coach Hue Jackson, Marvin Lewis loses control of the team, and the Bengals implode in the second half.  It would be four years before the Bengals made the playoffs again.

January 2016:  Despite missing Andy Dalton due to injury, the Bengals finished 12-4 and led the Steelers with minutes to go in another playoff game.  Jeremy Hill fumbles, Adam Jones and Vontaze Burfict commit costly personal fouls, and once again Marvin loses control of the team.  The Bengals have yet to return to the playoffs.

October 2018:  Cincinnati is sporting a respectable 4-1 record and Andy Dalton leads the Bengals to a late fourth quarter lead against the Steelers.  Things were looking good.  Unfortunately the defense brain farts and allows the Steelers to march down the field and take the lead for good.  When Pittsburgh went for a two point conversion, Teryl Austin called a defensive play at the goal line which the Bengals had never practiced.  The Steelers successfully converted and won.  The Bengals have won just one game since that abysmal performance against the Steelers and that was a narrow win over Tampa Bay.

Now I don't pretend to know why this happens.  Pittsburgh is just another NFL team but its obvious Cincinnati is afraid to play them.  I don't get it.  For some reason losing to the Steelers in critical games creates a lasting negative effect for the Bengals.

I don't think I would go so far as to say "afraid" but I do think there is a very real mental hurdle that exists when they plays the Steelers, especially at home. It's always difficult to watch it unfold during these games because it's as if the Bengals have a predetermined expectation of calamity.
Reply/Quote
It's their "measuring stick" to determine if the team is really any good or not. The fact that they implode following emotional losses to the Steelers falls squarely on Marvin Lewis' shoulders for not instilling greater mental toughness. Instead, it's more like "Well, hee hee hee. We just gotta work harder. (clap, clap, clap)"

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Cincinnati sports went into the toilet in 1992. Why?

Before then the Reds were winning championships and the Bengals went to the SB twice in 20 years of existence.

What in the hell happened in 1992!?

Was it a part of "The New World Order"???

"A world where the rule of law, not the law of THE JUNGLE, governs the conduct of nations"

Mellow Shocked

Reply/Quote
[Image: tgiving-streaking.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 03:16 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Cincinnati sports went into the toilet in 1992. Why?

Before then the Reds were winning championships and the Bengals went to the SB twice in 20 years of existence.

What in the hell happened in 1992!?

Was it a part of "The New World Order"???

"A world where the rule of law, not the law of THE JUNGLE, governs the conduct of nations"

Mellow Shocked
December nor'easter of 92?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_1992_nor%27easter

That's when I finally found a good use for an old 4 burner Bunn coffee warmer I'd found in the trash a few years prior.  I placed it under the engine of my van so it would start in the freezing cold..worked great .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 02:49 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote:

Very revealing. lol Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 02:49 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote:

(12-09-2018, 03:44 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Very revealing. lol Hilarious

It's no secret Marvin has been the Pittsburgh mole in this organization. Mr. Magoo Brown is two darn blind to see it. 

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 03:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: It's no secret Marvin has been the Pittsburgh mole in this organization. Mr. Magoo Brown is two darn blind to see it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvin has TWO sources of income. One from Mike Brown.. and another from somewhere else. Ninja
Reply/Quote
It's not just us. Look at Carolina, they were awesome this season till they lost to Pitt. Lost 4 straight since. On a side note, I don't care much for Baker but after watching 1 quarter it's clear that he is everything that Dalton is not. This kid is so much better than Dalton it's sickening.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 04:11 PM)TKUHL Wrote: It's not just us. Look at Carolina, they were awesome this season till they lost to Pitt. Lost 4 straight since. On a side note, I don't care much for Baker but after watching 1 quarter it's clear that he is everything that Dalton is not. This kid is so much better than Dalton it's sickening.

This is suppose to be a fun thread. Why are you bringing reality into it?

Post a conspiracy theory or something  :andy:

For example, Why is Dalton such a durable QB but breaks his thumbs whenever he tries to tackle after a TO? Seriously..that tackle was only like his second after the first thumb injury. 

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 04:23 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: This is suppose to be a fun thread. Why are you bringing reality into it?

Post a conspiracy theory or something  :andy:

For example, Why is Dalton such a durable QB but breaks his thumbs whenever he tries to tackle after a TO? Seriously..that tackle was only like his second after the first thumb injury. 

Lol sorry man not sure what the heck I was thinkin. As far as what happen since 92 I have no idea. We were flyin high in the Nati from 88-92 I was lookin tight in my Jordan flight black and red joggin suit, with the Air Jordan's. Even had the baggy blue and black zebra like stripped pants (don't remember what they were called) GNR's released what I think is one well 2 of the best albums ever with Use Your Illusion 1&2. The reds were fresh off a World Series win over the A's even though just about all the talkin heads were predicting the A's to kick our butts, not so fast. This was the time when a weird thing became available to homes called the Word Wide Web, not many people knew what it was or even really cared. It's crazy thinking back on it now, how something as huge as the web that literally controls everything today was not received to eagerly waiting mobs in anticipation, barely even an artical in the newspaper. I know I didn't care much, my 7 dollar a case of Reiner beer was all I needed at the time, if that was out then it was Keystone light or Bush light. I'm not sure where the hell im going with this, just reminiscing I guess. If I had to guess what kind of black magic, voodoo curse, conspiracy has caused this team to suck since the last SB I would say we were cursed by Bill Walsh for letting him go, or maybe even Greg Cook for having horrible team doctors. The only impressive thing about this team is it's failures. When you have to think back before the internet existed to the last playoff win, that's pretty damn amazing.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 03:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's their "measuring stick" to determine if the team is really any good or not. The fact that they implode following emotional losses to the Steelers falls squarely on Marvin Lewis' shoulders for not instilling greater mental toughness.  Instead, it's more like "Well, hee hee hee.  We just gotta work harder. (clap, clap, clap)"

The big thing we gain with a new coach is the dreadful record of Marvin Lewis vs the Steelers goes away. A new coach gets a clean slate.
Reply/Quote