Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Are Coming To My High School On Friday!
My high school, Covington Catholic, which is directly across the river from Cincinnati, has a ribbon cutting scenario tomorrow for the new fieldhouse, which is just an indoor practice facility, and apparently there will be Bengals players (and maybe staff) there because the Bengals donated a bunch of money for it.

I just realized that they might cancel it because it's supposed to rain from 8 a.m. on with a 40% chance at 8, 50% chance at 9, and then at least 50% the rest of the day.

I hope they realize that that's where Michael Mayer went to school and they're just trying to make him feel welcome when we trade up from 32 to draft him in the 2023 draft!

Sad that my high school will have a practice bubble before us but better late than never!
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 02:19 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: My high school, Covington Catholic, which is directly across the river from Cincinnati, has a ribbon cutting scenario tomorrow for the new fieldhouse, which is just an indoor practice facility, and apparently there will be Bengals players (and maybe staff) there because the Bengals donated a bunch of money for it.

I just realized that they might cancel it because it's supposed to rain from 8 a.m. on with a 40% chance at 8, 50% chance at 9, and then at least 50% the rest of the day.

I hope they realize that that's where Michael Mayer went to school and they're just trying to make him feel welcome when we trade up from 32 to draft him in the 2023 draft!

Sad that my high school will have a practice bubble before us but better late than never!

Was that before or after he chopped up his family on Halloween?
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 08:17 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Was that before or after he chopped up his family on Halloween?

After because we're a Catholic school and God said "Thou shall forgiveth he who slaughters his family."

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Kind of wish the Bengals would make their charitable donations to the more needy inner-city schools than elite private schools supported by the multi-billion dollar tax-free income of the Catholic church.

But maybe they do and we just don't hear as much about it.  I would never have heard about this donation if not for this thread.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 10:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Kind of wish the Bengals would make their charitable donations to the more needy inter-city schools than elite private schools supported by the multi-billion dollar tax-free income of the Catholic church.

But maybe they do and we just don't hear as much about it.  I would never have heard about this donation if not for this thread.

was on the local news and had an article on cincinnati.com 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 02:19 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: My high school, Covington Catholic, which is directly across the river from Cincinnati, has a ribbon cutting scenario tomorrow for the new fieldhouse, which is just an indoor practice facility, and apparently there will be Bengals players (and maybe staff) there because the Bengals donated a bunch of money for it.

congrats, cool to see the bengals partner with one of the finer catholic schools in the area...
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 11:12 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: was on the local news and had an article on cincinnati.com 

Yeah, and anyone that bashes this has to be obviously trolling because the Bengals have invested over 1.8 in the past several years in funding for local high school football fields in Greater Cincinnati.

Quote:"We are happy to continue to support local youth football and especially pleased to play a role in this project.  With this grant we have invested more than $1.8 million in funding for football fields in the greater Cincinnati area over the past several years," Blackburn said in a news release.

And other donations have come from the NFL and Local Initiatives Support Corp., and it's because Covington Catholic is an amazing school that turns out leaders and successful people that, along with the school, donate lots of time and money to charities.

What people that bash this also fail to realize is that, while the tuition is high and it has a lot of students that come from wealthy families, CCH also offers tuition assistance and scholarships to low-income families. Aside from a few wealthy neighborhoods, Ft Wright and Park Hills, where CCH is located, is generally a lower income area. If you drive a mile north (not even a mile), you're in the inner city of Covington, which, for the most part, is extremely poor. 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 02:07 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah, and anyone that bashes this has to be obviously trolling because the Bengals have invested over 1.8 in the past several years in funding for local high school football fields in Greater Cincinnati.

And other donations have come from the NFL and Local Initiatives Support Corp., and it's because Covington Catholic is an amazing school that turns out leaders and successful people that, along with the school, donate lots of time and money to charities.

What people that bash this also fail to realize is that, while the tuition is high and it has a lot of students that come from wealthy families, CCH also offers tuition assistance and scholarships to low-income families. Aside from a few wealthy neighborhoods, Ft Wright and Park Hills, where CCH is located, is generally a lower income area. If you drive a mile north (not even a mile), you're in the inner city of Covington, which, for the most part, is extremely poor. 

Not really. A good portion of the lower-income housing was torn down and new townhouses were built--in the east end. There are still "poor" areas, but they're smaller. 

The median income in Cov now is only about 7k less per year than Park Hills and about 6k more than Newport. Property values are still below the other two but that has a lot to do with improvements Newport has made in the last 5 years. I live in the west end--not too far from the "inner city"--of Cov and the wife and i make about 170k a year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 02:07 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah, and anyone that bashes this has to be obviously trolling because the Bengals have invested over 1.8 in the past several years in funding for local high school football fields in Greater Cincinnati.

Might not be "obviously trolling".  Just might have missed an article from 8 years ago about a totally different donation.

Rolleyes

I have no problem with the NFL and/or individual NFL teams donating to charity.  I just had not heard about the money donated to all the other local schools.   The NFL and NFL teams should be doing this sort of stuff considering all the money they make. 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 02:07 PM)BFritz21 Wrote:  Aside from a few wealthy neighborhoods, Ft Wright and Park Hills, where CCH is located, is generally a lower income area. If you drive a mile north (not even a mile), you're in the inner city of Covington, which, for the most part, is extremely poor. 

None of this matters because CCH is not funded by property taxes.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 02:34 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Not really. A good portion of the lower-income housing was torn down and new townhouses were built--in the east end. There are still "poor" areas, but they're smaller. 

The median income in Cov now is only about 7k less per year than Park Hills and about 6k more than Newport. Property values are still below the other two but that has a lot to do with improvements Newport has made in the last 5 years. I live in the west end--not too far from the "inner city"--of Cov and the wife and i make about 170k a year. 

7k is a lot of money when you're talking about the an average of only 40k, but I get your point. I guess I haven't been down there that much since Covid (or anywhere outside of Mainstrauss or places like Holmes) and still assume it's the same as it was back when I was down there a lot.

Regardless, it doesn't change the facts about CCH that I mentioned.
Reply/Quote
Just about every article I have seen regarding the Bengals doing charity work has been in the inner city and poorer schools. Confused
Reply/Quote