Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad boys, bad boys...watcha gonna do?
(09-07-2017, 11:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: I didn't know they had an election for a spokesperson.  Congrats!

Eh, it's well known, it hardly needed a spokesperson.

Quote:Seems like something someone would do when they have something to hide/don't want investigated?

If only ordinary citizens could do the same when falsely accused/arrested.  Just say nah, I don't want an investigation and walk away.  Instead they get charged with "resisting arrest" when they were being wrongly arrested anyway.

What, was this officer accused of a crime we don't know about?  If he was please let us know.  If he wasn't your analogy is specious, per the norm.

Quote:The article said he would get his full benefits even if he was fired.

Like I said, in most cases you wouldn't.  I don't know the details of their particular contract and I'm sorry to say I don't necessarily believe that's true just because a journalist said it.
(09-07-2017, 12:00 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: What, was this officer accused of a crime we don't know about?  If he was please let us know.  If he wasn't your analogy is specious, per the norm.

Hard to say as there was no investigation. The article says he was going to be fired but quit before that. They don't say why he was going to be fired and I can't imagine they could do it for no reason at all. My analogy was for people who also did not commit crimes but were accused of something.

(09-07-2017, 12:00 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Like I said, in most cases you wouldn't.  I don't know the details of their particular contract and I'm sorry to say I don't necessarily believe that's true just because a journalist said it.

It was a quote from the public safety department...not just what "some journalist said."

Quote:Cobb County police Lt. Greg Abbott stood to lose his job for the remarks. But Cobb County Public Safety Director Samuel Heaton said Friday the department had received an e-mail from Abbott requesting immediate retirement.

"He was eligible for that. Once he retires he is no longer employed so no disciplinary action can take place. He is entitled to his retirement, which he would've received even if he was fired," Heaton told CNN.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-07-2017, 11:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: I didn't know they had an election for a spokesperson. Congrats!

Seems like something someone would do when they have something to hide/don't want investigated?

[b If only ordinary citizens could do the same when falsely accused/arrested. Just say nah, I don't want an investigation and walk away. Instead they get charged with "resisting arrest" when they were being wrongly arrested anyway.[/b]

The article said he would get his full benefits even if he was fired.

Ordinary citizens do this all the time..... they retire from their job in stead if being of being fired for saying something innapropriate and stupid.

Once again proving you have no idea what goes on in a negotiation either pre or post employment.

None of this has anything to do with him being a police officer he left his job and exercised his options just as anyone else would do in any similar scenario.
(09-07-2017, 12:23 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Ordinary citizens do this all the time.....  they retire from their job in stead if being of being fired for saying something innapropriate and stupid.  

Once again proving you have no idea what goes on in a negotiation either pre or post employment.  

None of this has anything to do with him being a police officer he left his job and exercised his options just as anyone else would do in any similar scenario.

The example I gave was when someone is allegedly FALSELY accused by the police they can't just walk away without an investigation.

Thanks.
(09-07-2017, 12:13 PM)GMDino Wrote: Hard to say as there was no investigation.

Wait, did you say it's hard to say if something criminal happened in this instance?  What possible evidence do you have of any criminal wrongdoing of any sort?

Quote:The article says he was going to be fired but quit before that.  They don't say why he was going to be fired and I can't imagine they could do it for no reason at all.  My analogy was for people who also did not commit crimes but were accused of something.

No, you mentioned people being arrested for something they didn't do.  It happens, not as often as you would like to believe, but it does.  Sometime the DA chooses not to file because they don't think they'd win in court, that doesn't mean the crime didn't occur in reality, it just can't be legally proven to the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt.  Alternatively, the DA didn't want to risk losing a close case.  As I said, there's a lot of middle ground between an ironclad, smoking gun, arrest and a complete abuse of power arrest.

Quote:It was a quote from the public safety department...not just what "some journalist said."

I'll reiterate, since your choosing to focus on something other than the point; I don't know the particulars of that departments contract or what benefits he would have kept, or lost, if he was fired for cause.  If you think that one sentence from a public safety official cores the full range of possibilities then have at it.  I envy your ability to think so simplistically.
(09-07-2017, 12:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Wait, did you say it's hard to say if something criminal happened in this instance?  What possible evidence do you have of any criminal wrongdoing of any sort?

I did. In reference to an investigation to see if this was part of a pattern of behavior, not just for this instance.

(09-07-2017, 11:32 AM)GMDino Wrote: There probably should have been some form of investigation to see if this was a pattern with the officer...but he took the easy way out instead.

(09-07-2017, 12:13 PM)GMDino Wrote: Hard to say as there was no investigation.  The article says he was going to be fired but quit before that.  They don't say why he was going to be fired and I can't imagine they could do it for no reason at all.  My analogy was for people who also did not commit crimes but were accused of something.

(09-07-2017, 12:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: No, you mentioned people being arrested for something they didn't do.  It happens, not as often as you would like to believe, but it does.  Sometime the DA chooses not to file because they don't think they'd win in court, that doesn't mean the crime didn't occur in reality, it just can't be legally proven to the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt.  Alternatively, the DA didn't want to risk losing a close case.  As I said, there's a lot of middle ground between an ironclad, smoking gun, arrest and a complete abuse of power arrest.

Okay. Mellow

(09-07-2017, 12:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'll reiterate, since your choosing to focus on something other than the point; I don't know the particulars of that departments contract or what benefits he would have kept, or lost, if he was fired for cause.

Then why argue about it?

(09-07-2017, 12:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:  If you think that one sentence from a public safety official cores the full range of possibilities then have at it.  I envy your ability to think so simplistically.

The article said it. I quoted the article. I don't know the ins and and outs of every situation where an officer can be fired in that particular department. Never claimed too. Merely clarified that it wasn't just what "some journalist said" it was a direct quote from someone who (apparently) does know more than we do about it. Smirk
http://www.cracked.com/article_24994_5-shocking-failures-criminal-justice-youve-never-heard.html

Quote:5 Shocking Failures Of Criminal Justice You've Never Heard

The legal system isn't run by all-knowing super-robots (yet), so we're stuck with regular old law enforcement officers, who are human beings. 

Ones who are going to make mistakes. Sometimes authorities make the right call. Sometimes they make honest mistakes. But then there are the times you get stories like ...

A Woman Reported Her Stalker To The Cops 125 Times, And They Did Nothing (Until He Nearly Murdered Her)

A Police Officer Was Fired For Not Shooting A Suicidal Man

A Man Spent 17 Years In Jail After Being Mistaken For His Doppelganger

All Kinds Of Things Are Constantly Mistaken For Drugs

A Mistranslation Landed A Man In Guantanamo Bay For 13 Years

Full stories at the link.  Fun read.
I'm GMDino, I don't hate law enforcement, but I spend a lot of time commenting on how much they suck. Hilarious
This would be funny if innocent people weren't detained for no reason.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/16/558147669/florida-man-awarded-37-500-after-cops-mistake-glazed-doughnut-crumbs-for-meth

Quote:Florida Man Awarded $37,500 After Cops Mistake Glazed Doughnut Crumbs For Meth

It sounds like a joke, but, well — keep reading.

In December 2015, 64-year-old Daniel Rushing had just dropped off a friend at chemotherapy and was driving home an older woman from his church who worked at the 7-Eleven and would otherwise walk the 2 miles home.

As Rushing drove away from the convenience store, police pulled him over. The officer said he had been driving 42 miles an hour in a 30 zone and had failed to come to a complete stop before entering the roadway. When Rushing handed over his driver's license, Officer Shelby Riggs-Hopkins noticed his concealed-weapons permit. Rushing confirmed he had a pistol, and she asked him to step out of the car for her safety.

The officer then asked if police could search his car, and Rushing said sure — if it meant he wouldn't be ticketed. Rushing watched as the officers, who now numbered four, conducted a very thorough inspection of his car.

Finally, Riggs-Hopkins said to him, "You want to tell me about what we found?"

"There's nothing to find," he said, confused.

But Riggs-Hopkins had noticed some crystals on the floorboard of the car, and when officers used a field testing kit, the white substance tested positive for methamphetamine.

Rushing said that was impossible: "I've never even smoked a cigarette," he protested.

The officer showed him the substance in question, and Rushing was aghast.

"That's glaze from a Krispy Kreme doughnut!" he explained. "I get one every other Wednesday."

But officers weren't buying it. Rushing was booked on charges of possessing methamphetamine while armed with a weapon.

As he sat in jail, he asked himself, "Lord, what am I doing here?"

"It was funny," Rushing says, "because I called my wife to tell her what happened, and the guy next to me waiting for the phone started to laugh. He said, 'This is crazy. I think you got a real good lawsuit here.' "

He spent more than 10 hours in jail before being released on bail.

Orlando police sent the evidence it had collected from Rushing's car to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for further testing — which determined that just as he'd said, the white crystals were not a controlled substance. (Results did not indicate whether the substance was sweet and delicious.)

All charges against Rushing were dropped.

It would be a funnier story if it hadn't been so closely replicated in Oviedo, a Florida city northeast of Orlando.

Karlos Cashe was pulled over in March for driving without headlights and arrested by Oviedo police when court records showed that he was out past his court-ordered curfew. Those records were later shown to be out of date and inaccurate, ABC affiliate WFTV reported.
Police saw white dust on the floorboards of Cashe's car and tested it with a field kit. The substance showed positive for cocaine.

Cashe went to jail for 90 days – 90 days in which he knew that the white substance in his car was simply drywall dust.

"I know for a fact it's drywall because I'm a handyman," Cashe told WFTV. "I said that continuously during the arrest stop."

Police in Orlando and Oviedo, like many other law enforcement agencies, use inexpensive field kits to test for drugs. Orlando's police use NIK brand narcotic testing kits. A NIK general screening kit, which tests for opiates, meth and other drugs, costs just $18 for a box of 10.

But such roadside test kits are far from foolproof.

A 2016 investigation by ProPublica and The New York Times found that tens of thousands of people are sent to jail each year based on the kits' results, which often generate false positives:

Quote:"Some tests ... use a single tube of a chemical called cobalt thiocyanate, which turns blue when it is exposed to cocaine. But cobalt thiocyanate also turns blue when it is exposed to more than 80 other compounds, including methadone, certain acne medications and several common household cleaners. Other tests use three tubes, which the officer can break in a specific order to rule out everything but the drug in question — but if the officer breaks the tubes in the wrong order, that, too, can invalidate the results. The environment can also present problems. Cold weather slows the color development; heat speeds it up, or sometimes prevents a color reaction from taking place at all."

Data from the state law enforcement lab in Florida found that 21 percent of the evidence recorded by police as methamphetamine was not in fact methamphetamine, and of that, half was not illegal drugs at all, according to the ProPublica investigation: "When we examined the department's records, they showed that officers, faced with somewhat ambiguous directions on the pouches, had simply misunderstood which colors indicated a positive result."

Those findings are part of what spurred Rushing to file a lawsuit against the city of Orlando after the charges against him were dropped. Two weeks ago, Rushing says he reached a settlement with the city for $37,500.

"I thought [the lawsuit] was the right thing to do, for what they did to me," he tells NPR.

An Orlando police spokeswoman says that after the Rushing incident, the department conducted an internal investigation and officers received additional training in using the field kits — but it's still using the same NIK narcotic test kits.

The Safariland Group, which makes the NIK tests, told ProPublica that it provides all law enforcement agencies with comprehensive field test training manuals, in addition to its instructions, and says its products are not intended for use other than directed.

"These training materials, which outline protocols for use, clearly state that the tests are presumptive aids that serve only as confirmation of probable cause and are not a substitute for laboratory testing," the company wrote in a statement.

For his part, Rushing bears no ill will toward the city's police department and says that the arresting officer was "very polite and nice." He worked alongside the police as a parks department employee for more than 25 years, and his brother is a former Orlando cop.

He says the issue is that the department keeps using the kits, despite the well-documented problems with using them.

"These kits give a false positive 1 out of every 5 times," he says. "I'm thinking about running for statehouse next year. And if I do, I'd like to get something done about these kits."

With the lawsuit behind him, Rushing's next step is getting his record expunged. He says he would like to find more work in security — but it's been hard to get business with a record showing an arrest for possession of meth while armed.

After the glaze incident, Rushing stopped by his local Krispy Kreme to let the people there know they might be in for a little publicity.

Sometimes they give him a free doughnut.

"But I don't eat them in the car," he says, laughing.
We need more good cops to stand up to these few bad ones.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-jersey-chief-frank-nucera-caught-saying-racist-things-about-n816836?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_blk

Quote:New Jersey Police Chief Frank Nucera Caught Saying Racist Things About Black Suspects

The former chief of a small New Jersey town's police department was charged this week with a hate crime for allegedly making racist remarks about black people and assaulting one young suspect whom he referred to with a slur.

Frank Nucera Jr.'s "racial animus" was captured on tape by an officer who'd been secretly recording him over the course of several months while on the job in Bordentown Township, a predominantly white community of less than 12,000 people near Trenton, according to a criminal complaint unsealed Wednesday in federal court. During that time, Nucera made derogatory remarks about other black suspects, and black people in general, according to transcripts of recordings submitted by an FBI agent.

The litany of Nucera's alleged abuses listed in the complaint include frequent use of racist slurs in reference to African Americans and the use of police dogs to intimidate black fans at a local high school basketball game and in an apartment complex where black people were present.

At one point, talking about a black suspect believed to have slashed the tires of a police car, Nucera allegedly told the officer who was secretly recording him that "n-----s are like ISIS, they have no value."

Nucera, who served as police chief and township administrator for Bordentown ─ which is 76 percent white, and 9 percent black — retired in February, after the federal investigation began. He made $151,418 at the time, and is now receiving $8,832 a month in retirement benefits, according to state pension records.

His lawyer did not immediately respond Thursday to an email or phone message seeking comment.

Bordentown's local elected leaders released a statement saying they were "deeply disturbed and saddened" by the case. They promised to cooperate with authorities and asserted that the allegations "do not represent us as a community."
[url=https://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2017_44/2211826/frank_nucera_bordentown_68ec932f0dac833bfac1d225b8a51b7f.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg][/url][Image: frank_nucera_bordentown_68ec932f0dac833b...20-320.jpg]
Mayor Steve Benowitz added a statement of his own, saying that the charges "are limited to one person and are not indicative" of the police force or township "as a whole."

The crux of the federal case focuses on the night of Sept. 1, 2016, when two Bordentown officers were called to a hotel on a complaint that a teen-aged couple ─ a boy, 18, and a girl, 16, both black ─ hadn't paid for their room. During questioning, the boy tussled with the officers, who pepper sprayed him and called for backup. Several other officers arrived, including Nucera and the unidentified officer who'd been secretly recording him, according to the complaint.

As officers arrested the boy and led him from the hotel to a patrol car, he stopped walking. Nucera then allegedly grabbed the suspect's head and slammed it into a metal doorjamb. When the boy complained, Nucera hit him in the head with his arm, according to the complaint.

The whistleblowing officer recorded what happened later at the police station, as the boy asked to be taken to a hospital ─ a request he later retracted ─ and later, when Nucera went an apparent tirade. Speaking about the couple and the girl's aunt, who'd shown up at the scene of the arrest, Nucera frequently used racial slurs and profanity.

He was arrested Wednesday on charges of committing a hate crime and violating the 18-year-old suspect's civil rights by using excessive force. The charges carry a maximum of 10 years in prison.

Nucera was released on unsecured $500,000 bond and ordered to give up all of his guns and avoid contact with any potential victims or witnesses in the case ─ except his son, who is an officer on the force.

"The nobility of police officers is rooted in their selfless commitment to protect our communities and their pledge to honor our constitutional values," William Fitzpatrick, the acting U.S. Attorney in New Jersey, said in a statement. "As chief of the Bordentown Township Police Department, the defendant dishonored the profession by doing neither." 

And they need to do it faster.
How does a police chief of a small town make $150k?!? And then retire with $100k pension?!?
--------------------------------------------------------

(11-03-2017, 05:05 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: How does a police chief of a small town make $150k?!?  And then retire with $100k pension?!?

Union?

i don't have a problem with officers getting a little more.  They have tough jobs most of the time.  I wonder how that matches to similar sized towns though.
(11-03-2017, 05:11 PM)GMDino Wrote: i don't have a problem with officers getting a little more.  They have tough jobs most of the time.  I wonder how that matches to similar sized towns though.

I don't, either....but that's probably double what most of his officers average (who are actually out there earning their "hazard" pay).  I think that's entirely too much money for the police chief of a small town, and I'd be pretty irate if I was a local resident.
--------------------------------------------------------

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/11/09/lapd-bodycam-video-appears-contradict-officer-testimony/

Quote:VAN NUYS (CBSLA) — LAPD body-camera video played in court Thursday directly contradicts an officer’s sworn testimony in the case of a man arrested after a hit-and-run accident, a CBS2 News investigation has learned.

And a defense attorney even claims the video proves an officer planted drugs on the man.

LAPD officer Samuel Lee left a Van Nuys courtroom Thursday after a defense attorney showed Los Angeles Police Department bodycam video that he says caught the officer in a lie. The officer had no comment.

“He looked dumbstruck to me,” attorney Steve Levine said. “Period. He had really no answer.”

CBS2 News Investigative Reporter David Goldstein obtained 12 videos from bodycams worn by officers on the scene of an accident in April, and the LAPD confirmed it has opened an internal investigation into the use of bodycams by officers in the field.

This is the first time media has seen video from the cameras in a real police investigation. LAPD has refused to release any of them since the video program began two years ago.

Ronald Shields, 52, was arrested and has been charged with felony hit-and-run and possession of cocaine. The officers were called to testify in a pretrial hearing as Shields’ attorney challenges evidence to be used at trial.

Lee is seen searching the suspect. He testified in court, as in the police report, that the cocaine was found in Shields’ left front pocket.

But the videos shows a different story.

In video from another angle, LAPD Officer Gaxiola picks up Shields’ wallet from the street and shows it to Lee, who points to the suspect as if to say it’s his.

He then puts it back down, steps to the street, bends over and picks up a small bag with white powder. It eventually tested positive for drugs.

Gaxiola goes back onto the sidewalk, picks up the wallet, motions to Lee and appears to put the bag into the wallet.

Now if you’re wondering why anyone would allegedly do this while being recorded, this could be the reason.

You hear the audio and see the officers hand, which is when he activates the recording on the camera.

But what he may not have known is that the previous 30 seconds are automatically saved without audio.

And if you rewind those 30 seconds, that’s where this all takes place.

Gaxiola hasn’t testified and had nothing to say Thursday.

On the video, after he collects the wallet, he brags about it to the other officers.

“He has a little bag of narco in here,” he says on the video. He says it three times.

Lee says the bag of drugs fell out of Shields’ pocket.

Levine has another theory and believes it proves Gaxiola planted the drugs.

“There’s a little white square here in his hand,” Levine said about one point in the video. “I believe the video shows the drugs were in his right hand and transfers to his left hand.”

The hearing will continue in December.
(11-03-2017, 05:05 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: How does a police chief of a small town make $150k?!?  And then retire with $100k pension?!?

Well, it was a predominantly white neighborhood ... Mellow Ninja  Sarcasm
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/17/detroit-police-officers-brawl-after-undercover-drugs-raid-goes-wrong

Quote:Detroit police officers brawl after undercover drugs raid goes wrong
Two officers injured as police hold colleagues at gunpoint, unaware they are posing as drug dealers

[/url]
[Image: 3504.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f...65bb52c0d6]
[url=https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/17/detroit-police-officers-brawl-after-undercover-drugs-raid-goes-wrong#img-1]
 A Detroit narcotics officer. The city’s police chief, James Craig, has described the botched raid as one the most disappointing incidents in his 40-year career. 

Police in Detroit are investigating a fight that started when officers raided a suspected drug den, only to discover the “dealers” were undercover police from another precinct. Two officers sustained minor injuries, including a black eye.

“This is probably one of the most embarrassing things I’ve seen in this department since I’ve been appointed police chief,” James Craig told reporters. “In fact, I’d have to tell you it is probably one of the most disappointing things I’ve experienced in my entire 40-year career.”

During the botched operation, 12th precinct officers, who were posing as drug dealers, were held at gunpoint by police from the 11th precinct. “I am thankful that no one was more seriously injured,” Craig said.

A video of the incident, which took place on 9 November, has been been released as part of the investigation. The bodycam footage shows one officer shouting: 
“Don’t put your hand on your gun” while another says his team has a search warrant.

As the brawl develops, the bodycam is knocked off the officer filming. It is believed a lack of communication over the existence of the warrant led to the problem.

Two officers have been placed on restrictive duties and a supervisor from the special operations team has been reassigned pending the outcome of the investigation.
I've had some terrible encounters with the fuzz over the years as I've stated previously. But I'll go ahead and tell this story from last night real quick.

Walking back from the broncos game to my hacienda in the bario last night, my gf and I came across and older couple in the middle of an aggressive argument. Dude got in our faces and I could tell she had been abused. He pushed me at which point my gf took the opp to walk the lady into a nearby restaurant to get her to safety.

I walked my lady home and in a ridiculous act of rage decided to get on my scooter and go find this piece of shit. He was waiting outside the restaurant where the employees had stricken him. After recognizing me, he charged. It took everything in my power not to kill this guy once we we on the ground. I'm not lying. I had him in a prone position that could have been his undoing.

Employees from the restaurant saw what was going on, came out and called the cops. His woman came out crying begging for him to stop, etc. once I let go he popped up and they BOTH took off. When the police got there I was standing there with blood on my hands / clothes and only a story about what happened.

Bottom line they heard me out and went looking for him. I was in such a rage at this point that I was cruising the streets on my scooter (**** off I love that thing) looking for him as well. They saw me at a gas station and rather than questioning me for riding around with a couple of beers in my system, told me to go the **** home. That they would take care of it.

All I'm saying is I had a really shitty run in with humanity last night. There is absolutely nothing I hate more than seeing a woman abused by a male companion. But the police ended up finding the guy, calling me later to let me know and giving me a pass on doing something stupid in the name of my convictions. My GF is not happy with me currently and I'll have to make up a story with coworkers about gnarled knuckles. Bottom line the boys assessed the situation and prioritized appropriately.

And for that that I thank them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-21-2017, 12:54 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I've had some terrible encounters with the fuzz over the years as I've stated previously.  But I'll go ahead and tell this story from last night real quick.  

Walking back from the broncos game to my hacienda in the bario last night, my gf and I came across and older couple in the middle of an aggressive argument.   Dude got in our faces and I could tell she had been abused.  He pushed me at which point my gf took the opp to walk the lady into a nearby restaurant to get her to safety.  

I walked my lady home and in a ridiculous act of rage decided to get on my scooter and go find this piece of shit.  He was waiting outside the restaurant where the employees had stricken him.  After recognizing me, he charged.   It took everything in my power not to kill this guy once we we on the ground.  I'm not lying.  I had him in a prone position that could have been his undoing.  

Employees from the restaurant saw what was going on, came out and called the cops.  His woman came out crying begging for him to stop, etc.  once I let go he popped up and they BOTH took off.  When the police got there I was standing there with blood on my hands / clothes and only a story about what happened.  

Bottom line they heard me out and went looking for him.  I was in such a rage at this point that I was cruising the streets on my scooter (**** off I love that thing) looking for him as well.  They saw me at a gas station and rather than questioning me for riding around with a couple of beers in my system, told me to go the **** home.  That they would take care of it.  

All I'm saying is I had a really shitty run in with humanity last night.  There is absolutely nothing I hate more than seeing a woman abused by a male companion.  But the police ended up finding the guy, calling me later to let me know and giving me a pass on doing something stupid in the name of my convictions.  My GF is not happy with me currently and I'll have to make up a story with coworkers about gnarled knuckles.  Bottom line the boys assessed the situation and prioritized appropriately.  

And for that that I thank them.

Good for you!  

Just a a story today from the kid changing the battery in my car.  He had cast on one wrist so, making small talk, I ask what happened.  Turns out the 6'6" 225 boyfriend of his ex had beat his daughter and she was all bruised up.  So this kid who stood maybe 5'5" and 100 pounds soaking wet took a running start, jumped and sucker punched the cretin in the head.  He said "I'm not proud of that...but no one lays a hand on my daughter."  He said when the cops got there they saw what happened and let him go home.

Always good to see people stick up for others and to hear the officers did the right thing. 
People suck.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/12/05/hero-cop-orlandos-pulse-shooting-terminated-force/925724001/

Quote:Hero cop of Pulse shooting is terminated from force

[Image: 636481058598859525-XXX-Delgado-OmarDearW...ndo-10.JPG]

(Photo: Daymon Gardner, Dear World)

An officer hailed as a hero after the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, Fla. and says he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder from the carnage of the massacre is being let go — just six months before he’d become vested in his pension.

Omar Delgado, 45, a corporal at the Eatonville Police Department, was one of the first officers at club in the early hours of June 12, 2016 after a gunman opened fire and left 49 dead and dozens more injured in what is now the second-deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.

He scoured through bodies that littered the ground and helped survivors get out. One of the club-goers he helped save was Angel Colon, who’d been shot six times. The pair’s story of survival and their growing friendship gained attention across the globe and was covered nationally in The New York Times, USA Today and CNN.

But the police department is letting him go at the end of the month, Eatonville council members confirmed at a Tuesday evening meeting. His last day on his $38,500-a-year job is scheduled for Dec. 31.

Eatonville Mayor Eddie Cole said the situation is complex but added he hopes to start a conversation about helping law enforcement officers after a tragedy. He said he couldn’t specifically talk about Delgado’s situation.

Officials at the city’s police department also did not comment on Delgado’s termination.

Delgado has mainly been on desk duty since the attack. He tried coming back to work about a month after the shooting, on the Fourth of July, but the loud bursts of fireworks gave him flashbacks to gunfire.

Colon, the man he helped save during the shooting, said he is shocked to hear about Delgado's situation.

“He was my hero. He saved my life and for them to just do what they’re doing to him in front of my face is a slap to my face as well,” Colon told WFTV, a local ABC affiliate. “He did his job that night on June 12 so they should have his back 100 percent totally and just be there for whatever he needs.”
[/url]

Delgado said he hoped for a better outcome to his employment.

“It’s a small town and we’re like a family,” the officer said. “You don’t just throw a family member to the street. They’re acting like a Fortune 500 company and saying since you can’t do your job, we’re going to replace you. Even if the world saw me as a hero, that was yesterday.”

PTSD is more common in law enforcement than in the general public — but still is somewhat rare.

Between 7 to 19 percent of police officers show symptoms of PTSD, compared to about 3.5% of the rest of the population, according to the 
National Alliance on Mental Illness

NAMI also says 1 in 4 officers will have thoughts of suicide because of the stresses they face on the job. Compared to the national average, the number of officer suicides catapult in smaller departments like Eatonville, a small town of 2,200 just outside the city of Orlando.

Delgado says the department told him they needed to replace him because of his PTSD and because they need an additional officer on patrol, a job he can no longer do.

He said he’s ready to leave the department and concentrate on his mental health but asked his superiors to wait an additional six months so he can mark 10 years at the department and become vested in his pension.

“Just let me get vested and I will be more than happy to pack up my troubles and leave,” he said. “This is the thing I’ve been working toward for 10 years and to be six months shy then be fired, it’s like ‘wow!’”

The extra six months would have allowed him to receive 64% of his salary with benefits for life, the Orlando Sentinel reported, adding if he’s terminated before making it to 10 years he’ll receive 42% of his earnings.

Delgado said he partially blames his termination on his decision to speak up about his mental state, adding he did get help and regularly sees a psychologist.

But he says it hasn’t helped much.

For more than a year and a half, Delgado has woken up to the same nightmare every night. It always starts the same: He’s working to get survivors out of the LGBT nightclub when gunman Omar Mateen starts firing his rifle.

He and other officers drop to the ground. They don’t know where the gunshots are coming from or where they’re aimed.
[url=https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/06/11/fla-boosts-oversight-security-related-licenses-after-pulse-rampage/387908001/]

Delgado wakes up screaming and sweaty. He can never go back to sleep.

“I never thought I would have gotten to this point. I thought I’d shake it off and everything would be fine,” he said. “But that hasn’t happened. Nothing has been right since that day.”

Delgado said he plans to apply for disability but until he’s approved, it’s going to be an uphill battle financially for him, his wife and their three kids.

“This Christmas is going to be a really sad one,” he said. “There’s simply not enough money to make it.”  

BS.  Plain and simple.
(12-06-2017, 11:44 AM)GMDino Wrote: People suck.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/12/05/hero-cop-orlandos-pulse-shooting-terminated-force/925724001/

BS.  Plain and simple.

As a civil servant he has access to numerous and varied appeals. If the story presented in your article is 100% accurate I have a hard time imagining he won't win his appeal.