Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad drafts and the current state of Bengals
(11-01-2019, 11:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We should be a bad team...but not 0-8 bad. Our coaching is terrible.

As I've posted in another thread...teams win in the NFL with injuries. Being 0-8 with injuries is bad coaching.

These coaches have destroyed quality young talent like Bates, WJ3, etc. Or are you going to explain how missing Jonah made those guys terrible?

Making DBs bad is easy . Don't put pressure on the opposing teams QB.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 11:33 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Making DBs bad is easy . Don't put pressure on the opposing teams QB.

It's not just coverage. It's run defense. It's a bunch of things that contribute to that poor grade.

Even a borderline HOF guy like Atkins has declined.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals front office is basically run by four people, Mike Brown whose the opener and gm, his daughter Katie Blackburn and her husband Troy Blackburn, who run player personnel, and Duke Tobin head of scouting. That's four people three of which are Brown family members.

You would think the NFL would set some rules for how an NFL teams front office can be built. They NFL could say each team needs a minimum of 10 people in the front office 50% of which cannot be the owner or his own family members. The level of incompetence and outrageous nepotism is unbelievable.

Half of our front office, those idiots Katie and Troy Blackburn, are on vacation in Switzerland when Dalton was benched and should have been traded.

Here's an owner and his family who bilked the Hamilton county taxpayers for hundreds of millions to buy the stadium and pay for its upgrades and maintenance. The least that old son of a ***** could do is build a competent front office with all the money he and his filthy family saved from bilking Hamilton county tax payers.
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 11:33 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Making DBs bad is easy . Don't put pressure on the opposing teams QB.

That may be part of it, but to me it seems like most of the problems are blown coverage assignments.  those have nothing to do with pressure on the QB. 
Reply/Quote

That may be part of it, but to me it seems like most of the problems are blown coverage assignments.  those have nothing to do with pressure on the QB. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 12:08 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: The Bengals front office is basically run by four people, Mike Brown whose the opener and gm, his daughter Katie Blackburn and her husband Troy Blackburn, who run player personnel, and Duke Tobin head of scouting.  That's four people three of which are Brown family members.

You would think the NFL would set some rules for how an NFL teams front office can be built. They NFL could say each team needs a minimum of 10 people in the front office 50% of which cannot be the owner or his own family members. The level of incompetence and outrageous nepotism is unbelievable.

Half of our front office, those idiots Katie and Troy Blackburn, are on vacation in Switzerland when Dalton was benched and should have been traded.

Here's an owner and his family who bilked the Hamilton county taxpayers for hundreds of millions to buy the stadium and pay for its upgrades and maintenance.  The least that old son of a ***** could do is build a competent front office with all the money he and his filthy family saved from bilking Hamilton county tax payers.

The NFL largely doesn't care...and we're the only team really structured like this with as few scouts as we have to my knowledge.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 11:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The shine is off a lot of those players this year.

Bates is rating terribly.
Lawson hasn't had a sack in what 2 years? Glasgow season ending IR again.
WJ3 has regressed badly.
Fejedelem basically doesn't see snaps on base defense. He's a special teamer now. I know...questionable.

Bad coaching makes guys worse.

Why is Jessie Bates rating terrible on PFF? There is a reason can you explain it?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 12:08 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: You would think the NFL would set some rules for how an NFL teams front office can be built. They NFL could say each team needs a minimum of 10 people in the front office 50% of which cannot be the owner or his own family members. The level of incompetence and outrageous nepotism is unbelievable.

I agree our front office stinks, but what can the NFL say when we have a winning record against other front offices over the last 15 years,
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 07:22 PM)Synric Wrote: Why is Jessie Bates rating terrible on PFF? There is a reason can you explain it?

According to PFF Andy Dalton was better last year than he was in 2015.

They keep track of some interesting stats, but their player ratings are a joke.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 07:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: According to PFF Andy Dalton was better last year than he was in 2015.

They keep track of some interesting stats, but their player ratings are a joke.

PFF gives huge ratings for big plays but as a center field safety the Bengals aren't giving Bates the opportunities to make those plays like they were last year. 

Bates isn't playing any worse this year than last year.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Even accounting for age and injury, seeing a list of players who were starting for the Bengals just a few short years ago who are no longer even in the league is pretty enlightening. Clearly, somebody or several somebodies ain't doing their jobs right.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 07:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree our front office stinks, but what can the NFL say when we have a winning record against other front offices over the last 15 years,

It would be like saying someone robs a bank and gives the money to the homeless. So the means of getting the money was bad, robbing a bank, but the ends was good, giving to the homeless, therefor it was justified.

The ends never justify the means unless in very rare circumstances. 

Another example would be a poker player who plays his hand horribly and is a 10% chance to win on the river and he sucks out and wins. Say he does that 5 times in a row.

He still played the hand badly and in the long run the law of averages will catch up with his bad decision making and he will eventually lose out more than he wins.

The Bengals might have justified the means, horrible front office, because the ends were good for a short amount of time , 5 years of winning ,but it isn't a good way to do it for long term success. In almost 30 years we have had a short run of 5 good years in row, none of which resulted in a playoff win. 

This is why the Bengals had a short run of 5 years of success and eventually fell back to where they have been for the better part of three decades, at the bottom in the NFL. 

Conversely, the Patriots have had sustained excellence because they run the organization the right way; Building a good front office allows for sustained excellence and not short term success.

Furthermore, whose to say that if the Bengals had a better front office, instead of winning 10 games and getting bounced in the first round, they wouldn't have won 12 games a year and had a good shot at a Superbowl. A competent front office could have been the edge that pushed them over the top.

How the NFL handles the players compared to the front office should be taken into account. The NFL has strict rules on how players can conduct themselves on and off the field. They have to abide by very precise rules. Can't commit pass interference, can't hold, can't jump offside. As far as dress code they can't wear  the wrong shoes, cant wear watches, have to tuck shirts in. Off the field very strict on player conduct and a ban on many illegal substances. 

Why can't the NFL set strict rules and guidelines on how NFL front offices are built. Why should owners be allowed to run teams any way they want. Why should they not adhere to the same strict rules as the players. Or at the very least minimum standards like preventing the owner from being gm. Or a team needing at least 10 people running the front office of which 50% cant be family members.
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 07:48 PM)snowy Wrote: Even accounting for age and injury, seeing a list of players who were starting for the Bengals just a few short years ago who are no longer even in the league is pretty enlightening. Clearly, somebody or several somebodies ain't doing their jobs right.

No playoff wins since 1991 kind of indicates that something smells.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote