Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad drafts and the current state of Bengals
(11-01-2019, 02:15 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Don't you mention to me what I can mention. Thanks. Don't mention it.

It's ridiculous to mention guys as both busts...and then state that their injuries hurt the team.

If they're busts...then we're not missing them because of their injury.

It's basically what the few Taylor-supporters left in the forum have to resort to.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 01:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is interesting because at one time I considered being a JAG Officer.

To bad you couldn't get the icer and had to settle being a plain old jag-off
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 02:20 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Seven of the 53 are ZT draft picks. What did you really expect? Those seven were magically going to transform the other 46 into pro bowlers.

How about the guys that were re-signed like Hart, Eifert, Preston Brown, Smith, Dennard, Redmond...and guys signed like Webb, Miller, Wynn, etc.

The bottom line is that Taylor and Staff evaluated the roster and actually wanted Hart back and commented about being excited that he was retained.

Also, they signed off on Preston Brown returned and being paired with Nick Vigil in a 2 LB set. Which is ridiculous as you need speed for this to work.

The bottom line is that Taylor had a lot more say that you're admitting. And his scheme doesn't match personnel capabilities.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 02:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's logically not sound to mention guys as both busts...and then state that their injuries hurt the team.

If they're busts...then we're not missing them because of their injury.

It's basically what the few Taylor-supporters left in the forum have to resort to.

I don't really follow certain people but I would bet a dollar to a doughnut I could find multiple excuses you give Andy and Mixon passes because of the awful o-line. You want a combination of Belichick and Merlin if you are thinking any other outcome was going to happen with a rookie coach. Your glorious Marv lost ten games last year. ZT may never turn the team a round but he deserves more than half a season. Mysteriously every first round pick in the last five years misses all or part of their rookie season so they can be injured and busts at the same time. Think about it.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 01:50 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I don't agree with the bolded.  I thought we could pull of a winning season prior to all the injuries.  Heck, with them we've lost most of our games within a score.  I guess I am a Bengals Homer (like almost if not everyone on this board, given that we post on a board of our favorite team), but I don't think it was complete delusion to say we should've been competitive this year.  

I also hope to not see a repeat of the 90's, yikes.  Had it not been for the cool colors and growing up in NKY, I'd have not become a fan since I was only 4 when they last went to the superbowl, and don't remember it.

As far as our drafting, the only pick I thought was insane was John Ross, but even that one showed extreme talent despite its obvious risks.  It's easy to forget how you felt when we drafted a given player versus watching him suck.

Those who thought in August that this would be a winning team had mostly optimism. Everyone believed Taylor was going to be this ultra-successful offensive playcaller that was going to run the ball really well and pass the ball around via play action. 

But in August we saw a very vanilla offense in the preseason games that got terrible production in the running game especially. People chalked it up to "well, it's just preseason. They'll unleash the real thing once the regular season starts."

I became worried when we found out Boling retired and Williams had surgery. Then when I saw how bad the team was performing in preseason, I really lost any confidence.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Woah now...

2018 draft - Jessie Bates Sam Hubbard Darius Phillips Andrew Brown Auden Tate
2017 draft - Joe Mixon Carl Lawson Ryan Glasgow Brandon Wilson
2016 draft - WJ3 Tyler Boyd Andrew Billings Clayton Fejedelem.

You can say they are struggling evaluating Linebackers and Offensive Linemen but you cannot say they are drafting bad.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 02:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How about the guys that were re-signed like Hart, Eifert, Preston Brown, Smith, Dennard, Redmond...and guys signed like Webb, Miller, Wynn, etc.

The bottom line is that Taylor and Staff evaluated the roster and actually wanted Hart back and commented about being excited that he was retained.

Also, they signed off on Preston Brown returned and being paired with Nick Vigil in a 2 LB set. Which is ridiculous as you need speed for this to work.

The bottom line is that Taylor had a lot more say that you're admitting. And his scheme doesn't match personnel capabilities.

Marvin didn't have control after 18 years and you try to say a rookie coach comes in and dictates to MB and co, what to do? HAHAHAHAHAHA You are funny dude!
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 02:38 PM)Synric Wrote: Woah now...

You can say they are struggling evaluating Linebackers and Offensive Linemen but you cannot say they are drafting bad.

"Games are won and lost in the trenches" When your last five #1 picks are busts or under preforming it kind of negates all the other picks.  Those five would be nearly one fourth of your starting line up. They are missing on the first pick badly.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 02:46 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: "Games are won and lost in the trenches" When your last five #1 picks are busts or under preforming it kind of negates all the other picks.  Those five would be nearly one fourth of your starting line up. They are missing on the first pick badly.

The draft is more than 1 pick.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 02:26 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: To bad you couldn't get the icer and had to settle being a plain old jag-off

I am not just a "plain old jag off".

I am one of the biggest Jag offs ever.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 02:48 PM)Synric Wrote: The draft is more than 1 pick.
Right.
The Oline destroyed by 3 bad picks in the 1st round and letting Whit go because they were so high on Cedric.  Whit is still starting 3 years in at LA. 
LB destroyed by bad drafting in the later rounds over a few years.
So that's the story for 0-8 in 2019.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 02:48 PM)Synric Wrote: The draft is more than 1 pick.

True, but when you choke on first rounders and whiff on o-line/LB picks you’re going to be in trouble. Combine that with the dumpster-diving FA approach and you get the Mike Brown Experience...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 04:32 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Right.
The Oline destroyed by 3 bad picks in the 1st round and letting Whit go because they were so high on Cedric.  Whit is still starting 3 years in at LA. 
LB destroyed by bad drafting in the later rounds over a few years.
So that's the story for 0-8 in 2019.

3? You mean 2. Price and Ogbuehi. Like I said in my first post they are struggling evaluating offensive linemen and linebackers but that doesnt mean they are completely terrible at drafting...

Also a name that isnt brought up but has alot to do with the evaluating offensive linemen in Cincy is Jim McNally.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 05:01 PM)Synric Wrote: 3? You mean 2. Price and Ogbuehi. Like I said in my first post they are struggling evaluating offensive linemen and linebackers but that doesnt mean they are completely terrible at drafting...

Also a name that isnt brought up but has alot to do with the evaluating offensive linemen in Cincy is Jim McNally.

Yeah you're right, I included Fisher in that group.  
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 05:07 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Yeah you're right, I included Fisher in that group.  

I get that I'm also including Rod Taylor JJ Dielman Christian Westerman. FAs Bobby Hart John Miller. It's not just the starters the entire depth is bad...

They are really struggling to evaluate offensive linemen.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 03:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not just a "plain old jag off".

I am one of the biggest Jag offs ever.
Try to tell us something we don't know
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 01:20 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The quality of the team is in direct relationship to the piss poor drafts this team has had. Price , Williams , Ross, Ogbuehi. not contributing is nothing short of ineptitude. What are they going to do differently? Do they have a plan? Is Tobin to blame or are the Family members being counted on to be defacto scouts? Will the Browns ever accept that they need a bona fide GM? Would a GM even consider working for the Bengals? Until we draft better and participate actively in free agency we are DOOMED.

Mike Brown knows better than everyone else, just ask him.

The team will win a game or two down the stretch and it will be a sign to Mikey boy that everything is going as planned.

I imagine Marvin is laughing his ass off about right now.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 02:38 PM)Synric Wrote: Woah now...

The shine is off a lot of those players this year.

Bates is rating terribly.
Lawson hasn't had a sack in what 2 years? Glasgow season ending IR again.
WJ3 has regressed badly.
Fejedelem basically doesn't see snaps on base defense. He's a special teamer now. I know...questionable.

Bad coaching makes guys worse.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 04:50 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: True, but when you choke on first rounders and whiff on o-line/LB picks you’re going to be in trouble.  Combine that with the dumpster-diving FA approach and you get the Mike Brown Experience...

We should be a bad team...but not 0-8 bad. Our coaching is terrible.

As I've posted in another thread...teams win in the NFL with injuries. Being 0-8 with injuries is bad coaching.

These coaches have destroyed quality young talent like Bates, WJ3, etc. Or are you going to explain how missing Jonah made those guys terrible?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 02:36 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I don't really follow certain people but I would bet a dollar to a doughnut I could find multiple excuses you give Andy and Mixon passes because of the awful o-line. You want a combination of Belichick and Merlin if you are thinking any other outcome was going to happen with a rookie coach. Your glorious Marv lost ten games last year. ZT may never turn the team a round but he deserves more than half a season. Mysteriously every first round pick in the last five years misses all or part of their rookie season so they can be injured and busts at the same time. Think about it.

Right...but Marvin didn't start 0-8. No one is here saying this team is a playoff team...but they shouldn't be 0-8.

It's a combination of factors and one of them is that the Coaching is Terrible. The playcalling is terrible. Injuries. Not addressing O-Line and LB.

LB is inexcusable. They brought back Brown and decided to put him and Vigil in Nickle? They're both horribly slow.
Reply/Quote