Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad teams win later in the season because players are playing for their career
Good teams get the job during the first half of the season. The team is making progress, I think we will be back in the race next season or two.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 03:54 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: Good teams get the job during the first half of the season. The team is making progress, I think we will be back in the race next season or two.

When I saw the massive dropoff in defense when WJIII left the field for LeShawn Sims, it helped heighten the need for better quality depth at the CB position.  No idea why Sims is out there.  He's awful, and we have Winston Rose getting no evaluation.  

I think WJIII being gone the first pitt game, and losing Phillips throughout the season helped ruin this team's chances on defense.  It was a MASSIVE drop off in talent and the opposing teams knew it. 

It wasn't the only reason on defense (lack of pressure in the middle of the defensive line, porous run defense early on there as well...) but it was a very large reason why they are 4-10-1.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 03:58 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: When I saw the massive dropoff in defense when WJIII left the field for LeShawn Sims, it helped heighten the need for better quality depth at the CB position.  No idea why Sims is out there.  He's awful, and we have Winston Rose getting no evaluation.  

I think WJIII being gone the first pitt game, and losing Phillips throughout the season helped ruin this team's chances on defense.  It was a MASSIVE drop off in talent and the opposing teams knew it. 

It wasn't the only reason on defense (lack of pressure in the middle of the defensive line, porous run defense early on there as well...) but it was a very large reason why they are 4-10-1.  

Agreed, but going into the season, you gotta think they saw CB1 and CB2 as Jax and Waynes. Waynes didn't play at all, Jax out, Phillips out, the depth became starters, guys that were PS material became depth. Mac missed some time too.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 03:54 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: Good teams get the job during the first half of the season. The team is making progress, I think we will be back in the race next season or two.

Definitely true on why we're seeing players try hard in a lost season.
Players are making sure to go hard in preparation for next year.
Perhaps that means FA, or perhaps it means keeping/taking a starting spot for 2021 on the Bengals.
Or perhaps it could mean keeping a roster spot vs being cut in the offseason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 04:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed, but going into the season, you gotta think they saw CB1 and CB2 as Jax and Waynes. Waynes didn't play at all, Jax out, Phillips out, the depth became starters, guys that were PS material became depth. Mac missed some time too.

Yep, and now there is a good chance we will go in to next season without WJIII.  We have no idea what Waynes will be, but I sure don't like how his career started here.  I know, an injury isn't supposed to be his fault, but  minutes in to the first workout is awfully suspicious.  That guy owes this team a LOT next year.  

Phillips should have gotten his salary and vice versa....
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 04:58 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yep, and now there is a good chance we will go in to next season without WJIII....

What happened to WJIII?  (I couldn't watch the game - could only follow via text play-by-play on phone app)
Reply/Quote
The fact is that outside of a few players on each team that are set, most players are playing for their career from week one on.

Bad teams win later in the season because not one team plays at the same level for an entire season.

All teams suffer from injuries, some teams benefit when the replacement steps up and some teams come crashing down. Some of these teams get good players back before the season ends.

Some rookies shine then fade, some rookies improve from game to game. Some veterans improve.

Some teams struggle with a new system all season long while some teams that struggled early start to gel later in the year.

Some teams improve as the season progresses, some teams get worse. Sometimes they face each other late in the season.

Some teams struggle with trying to finish games and some teams figure it out.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 12:21 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The fact is that outside of a few players on each team that are set, most players are playing for their career from week one on.

Bad teams win later in the season because not one team plays at the same level for an entire season.

All teams suffer from injuries, some teams benefit when the replacement steps up and some teams come crashing down. Some of these  teams get good players back before the season ends.

Some rookies shine then fade, some rookies improve from game to game. Some veterans improve.

Some teams struggle with a new system all season long while some teams that struggled early start to gel later in the year.

Some teams improve as the season progresses, some teams get worse. Sometimes they face each other late in the season.

Some teams struggle with trying to finish games and some teams figure it out.

Yeah it's hard to be bad for all 16 games. Look at the Jets...beating the Rams and Browns. I doubt their fans are like 'Wow Gase saved his job!'
Reply/Quote
Almost 10 years ago to the day the 2010 season was deader than Dillinger and against a team playing for its playoff life Palmer put up a 157.2 QB rating while throwing the ball to Jerome Simpson, Andre Caldwell, and rookie TE Jermaine Gresham. Palmer and the young guys were the future of this franchise...well, for a little while.

Oh and before going 0-13 this season the 2019 Jets finished the year by going 6-2 once Darnold came back from injury/illness. I'm sure there are examples of late-season bounces leading to good following seasons, but yeah there is a lot of bad teams bouncing.
Reply/Quote
You cant question winning since the alternative is losing.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 01:01 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You cant question winning since the alternative is losing.

Some of you dont question losing either and seem quite content with it.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 06:12 PM)Tomkat Wrote: What happened to WJIII?  (I couldn't watch the game - could only follow via text play-by-play on phone app)

He was going up for the pick(lol yeah right)and got hit by his own teammate on the play ...  can't remember if it was Bates or Phillips?

They said he was out with a head injury(concussion?)and that's when Sims presented us with his talents and prowess. Whatever

Speaking of that.   Who is that Bailey fool?

He sucks, but that holding call on him for the kick return was weak AF.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 08:35 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: He was going up for the pick(lol yeah right)and got hit by his own teammate on the play ...  can't remember if it was Bates or Phillips?

They said he was out with a head injury(concussion?)and that's when Sims presented us with his talents and prowess. Whatever

Speaking of that.   Who is that Bailey fool?

He sucks, but that holding call on him for the kick return was weak AF.

It was Bates.

Bailey is a 7th round rookie coming off ACL repair.
Reply/Quote
William Jackson III reminds me of Rey Maualuga. Neither WJIII or Rey are spectacular individual players but when they’re out of the lineup the entire defense gets worse.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 03:58 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: When I saw the massive dropoff in defense when WJIII left the field for LeShawn Sims, it helped heighten the need for better quality depth at the CB position.  No idea why Sims is out there.  He's awful, and we have Winston Rose getting no evaluation.  

Depth is a major issue throughout the whole roster.

Look at the O-line - outside of C it's bottom of the roster replacement level guys first off the bench. We went into the season with our back-up tackles being a 2nd year UDFA and a 6th round rookie. At G we should have had someone like XSF backing up.

DT has had injuries but the lack of depth behind Geno was badly exposed.

Look at Finley at QB2, how thin TE is with Uzomah out.

Outside of RB, WR and S - where we were paying our back-ups starter money no position - there was a real lack of depth.

Daniels, Spain, Finney, Covington were nice mid-season additions and that's the caliber of player they should look to add at back-up at each position. Mix them in with some promising rookies as second man off the bench and this team will do much better. You don't need to break the bank: they cost $4.5m - that's four players for almost the price of Cethan Carter and Alex Redmond's tenders.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 06:12 PM)Tomkat Wrote: What happened to WJIII?  (I couldn't watch the game - could only follow via text play-by-play on phone app)

Concussion.  Doubt they risk it for the last game of the season.  Too bad, because I think with him they beat Baltimore.  And although the Chicken Littles would have cried a river about losing draft position, I would have liked to see that.  No way do they win with "throw it here" LeShawn Sims in coverage.  

So disappointing they won't give Winston Rose a shot to see what he can offer.  Sims isn't a part of the long term plans.  Rose is signed next year as well.  
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 12:14 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Concussion.  Doubt they risk it for the last game of the season.  Too bad, because I think with him they beat Baltimore.  And although the Chicken Littles would have cried a river about losing draft position, I would have liked to see that.  No way do they win with "throw it here" LeShawn Sims in coverage.  

So disappointing they won't give Winston Rose a shot to see what he can offer.  Sims isn't a part of the long term plans.  Rose is signed next year as well.  

They might as well paint a neon target on Sims. It will be a looooooong day for him.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 12:34 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: They might as well paint a neon target on Sims. It will be a looooooong day for him.

It sounds terrible to say, but I would tell Bates that he is to shade to Sims every snap.  Tell Phillips to expect no help at all.  That is the only way they have a shot.  Bates picks off a couple balls because Lamar tries to just throw balls up to the guy Sims is on (normally, a great plan).
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 12:14 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: So disappointing they won't give Winston Rose a shot to see what he can offer.  Sims isn't a part of the long term plans.  Rose is signed next year as well.  

I would like to see what Rose brings to the table as well. Only thing I can think is that Rose sucks more in practice than Sims does in games.... which would be hard to accomplish.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 02:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I would like to see what Rose brings to the table as well. Only thing I can think is that Rose sucks more in practice than Sims does in games.... which would be hard to accomplish.

Remember, it took an injury to Dre to see what Phillips had, and he has made us not miss Dre one bit, or the extra $10 million he would have cost.  
Reply/Quote