Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad things that come in 3's
To start and as a disclaimer I don't believe in things happening in threes:

https://www.seeker.com/do-bad-things-really-come-in-3s-1792581105.html

Quote:Scientists found the reason why bad things "come in threes": they simply don't. Humans look for patterns in random data in a way to extract order from disorder. The tendency is called apophenia and it was first described by German psychologist and neuroscientists Klaus Conrad 1958 who was studying people suffering the onset of schizophrenia. For them, they experience delusion as a sort of revelation.

With that said this last week I had an interesting one.  Earlier last week my brother texted me and told me he spilled coffee on his Nintendo Switch which fried it.  Two days later I was cleaning my living room, put my laptop on the sofa to dust off the coffee table and my 80 pound dog decided that would be a good time to jump on the sofa and landed on my laptop which broke the screen (my fault for putting it there).  I talked to my mom later that day and told her about it.  She said given what happened to myself and my brother, based on the idea of bad things happening in threes,  she would be careful with her electronics and we had a good laugh about it.  A few days later she called me and told me her phone fell out of her coat pocket while getting out of her car and the screen cracked.   So we as family members got the electronic bad 3's.  LOL

But looking at it, all three issues were mistakes and not predetermined.  My brother was careless and spilled coffee on his Switch.  I was careless and put my laptop on my sofa where my dog often jumps on.  My mom put her phone in a loose coat pocket.  But I did find it funny these 3 things happened so close to each other, especially after my mom and I joked about it.

Back on the topic if bad things come in 3's, I don't buy it.  I see it often when celebrities pass away.  A celebrity passes and people say, "I hope so and so isn't next because also so and so died and you know it happens in 3's".    To quote again:

Quote:Humans look for patterns in random data in a way to extract order from disorder.

Anyway I was bored and for some reason the "bad things come in 3's" was on my mind due to my most recent experience.  But it would be interesting what random bad things in threes any of you have experienced if any.  Also, in before someone says that they had threesome.   Tongue
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Happened to me, well, more specifically to my mother. Not sure on the exact dates. This happened last year, and very rapidly. My mom had 3 brothers. 2 older than her, and then my youngest Uncle, her 3rd brother. Her youngest brother was the beloved 2 term Mayor in this town. Very well liked, a wonderful home and wife. 3 great cousins of mine, and they all have children. My Uncles grandchildren. He was retiring in October.

He died suddenly, completely healthy and only 61. No warning, nothing ever wrong with him, quite athletic. This was in September. By Christmas, my mother was an only child. We lost all 3 of them in about 3 and a half months. And we were all still stunned, as was this town, over losing our Mayor like that, my favorite Uncle. Bad shit absolutely happens in 3's man!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't know, based on some recent experiences I think it is true that bad things come in threes.

A couple of weeks ago I put some noodles on to boil and went to do bong hits while the water got hot. It ended up that the water boiled out all over the stove before I got back.

Not only did this happen three times in a week, but then it happens three times the next week also.

So it happened three times not just once, but twice.

How can you explain that?
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 01:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know, based on some recent experiences I think it is true that bad things come in threes.

A couple of weeks ago I put some noodles on to boil and went to do bong hits while the water got hot.  It ended up that the water boiled out all over the stove before I got back.

Not only did this happen three times in a week, but then it happens three times the next week also.

You were just high.. Drugs are bad...myok?  Nervous I know..kind of rich coming from a heroin addict (recovered).. What can I say? Pain and me just never quite got along.. Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I don't count the bad things that happen to see if it's 3, but I do see karma often (if something bad happens to me that I didn't deserve, something good happens) or vice versa.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 01:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know, based on some recent experiences I think it is true that bad things come in threes.

A couple of weeks ago I put some noodles on to boil and went to do bong hits while the water got hot.  It ended up that the water boiled out all over the stove before I got back.

That would be 6. Now, if that pattern continues 2 more times, you need a freaken priest because the devil be living in your house.

Reply/Quote
Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Bodine...
Reply/Quote