Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Baghdad Geoff at it again
(03-14-2021, 02:59 PM)J24 Wrote: The only time he was wrong about the Bengals approach was last off-season. Hobson is probably more dialed in then any one else in the media as it come to the Bengals.

He's continually wrong about the cap. From 2016 to 2019, he repeated the narrative of the Bengals having a total of 15m to spend in free agency (re-signing their own and to sign outside FA's). The Bengals spent between 25-29m in each of those years.

Then last year, he predicted a total of 25m.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 03:44 PM)J24 Wrote: When has been wrong except for last season? We have been one of the least spending teams in free agency for a past decade.

He's wrong in terms of how much money the Bengals have under the cap.

He MAY NOT be wrong in terms of what they'll spend. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 03:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: He is wrong every year on draft picks, and up until last year we hadn’t been aggressive in FA  so he is just guessing based on history not necessarily knowledge.
When has he been wrong about draft picks? He is usually spot on about first RD picks after that it becomes a crap shoot.
(03-14-2021, 03:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Not when it comes to the cap. From 2016 to 2019, he repeated the narrative of the Bengals having a total of 15m to spend in free agency (re-signing their own and to sign outside FA's). The Bengals spent about 25-29m in each of those years.

Then last year, he predicted a total of 25m.  Mellow
How often do we spend on free agents that do not come from the Bengals. We only have done it twice in the past 20 seasons. Last year and in 2003! Outside of that we won't spend big.
(03-14-2021, 03:56 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: He's wrong in terms of how much money the Bengals have under the cap.

I'll give you that the Bengals can definitely spend more than they let on.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 04:01 PM)J24 Wrote: How often do we spend on free agents that do not come from the Bengals. We only have done it twice in the past 20 seasons. Last year and in 2003! Outside of that we won't spend big.

Not sure what that has to do with his 'predictions' continuing to be off by a lot when it comes to the cap.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 04:07 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Not sure what that has to do with his 'predictions' continuing to be off by a lot when it comes to the cap.
This team won't improve in free agency that's the whole point! 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 03:42 PM)J24 Wrote: No there not under pressure especially if they sign a guy like Zeitler. They don't need to go on a huge spending spree this off-season.

They absolutely are.  Huge spending spree and active aren't the same thing, and activity is badly needed.  Singing a guy like Zeitler would be practically impossible under Hobson's stated cap room, anyway.  He's a 7-8 mil per year player, and re-signing Lawson or Jackson is going to be at least a 12 million dollar chunk of his number.  That leaves a million or 2 to sign everyone else, which isn't enough even if they only bring back only low-end vets.  

If they aren't under pressure, as you state, then why even bring back Zeitler?  If you are correct then they could just extend Redmond and be done with it.  

They've talked a huge game from Elizabeth Blackburn on to Tobin in his presser.  The offseason Hobson suggests is nothing like the one people higher up in the organization have put out there.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 02:48 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I would not be surprised at all if the O-line stays the same with adding only one outside FA.

I have said the same. Not what I think happens or agree with., but if the Bengals do that, I would not be surprised. If the Bengals trade up in the 3rd round to draft a player with a 4th round grade, and an injury history, I would not be surprised.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 04:01 PM)J24 Wrote: When has he been wrong about draft picks? He is usually spot on about first RD picks after that it becomes a crap shoot.

...every year (besides Burrow). Here is a better one, name one year he actually got the 1st round right? Two year ago he was convinced we were going DT, the year before that he was all about Calvin Ridley. The year before that he had us taking OJ Howard.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 04:01 PM)J24 Wrote: When has he been wrong about draft picks? He is usually spot on about first RD picks after that it becomes a crap shoot.
How often do we spend on free agents that do not come from the Bengals. We only have done it twice in the past 20 seasons. Last year and in 2003! Outside of that we won't spend big.
I'll give you that the Bengals can definitely spend more than they let on.

Cedric Benson
Larry Johnson
Lavernues Coles
Antonio Bryant
Terrell Owens
Antwan Odom
Sam Adams
Adam Jones
Dexter Jackson
Roy Williams
Terrance Newman
AJ Hawk
James Harrison
Ben Utecht
Thomas Howard
Dhani Jones
Carlos Dansby
Kevin Minter
Manny Lawson

I'm sure there are plenty of others I'm not thinking of that came here as FA's in in the last years that weren't part of 2003 or 2020.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 04:24 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Cedric Benson
Larry Johnson
Lavernues Coles
Antonio Bryant
Terrell Owens
Antwan Odom
Sam Adams
Adam Jones
Dexter Jackson
Roy Williams
Terrance Newman
AJ Hawk
James Harrison
Ben Utecht
Thomas Howard
Dhani Jones
Carlos Dansby
Kevin Minter
Manny Lawson

I'm sure there are plenty of others I'm not thinking of that came here as FA's in in the last years that weren't part of 2003 or 2020.

Green Ellis, Glenn.  Glenn was a trade but still involved a large financial commitment to an outside player. Nate Clements.
Reply/Quote
he is writing what he is told to write.

you people who read his pap and then get worked up are fools.

stop reading his stuff. it's worthless.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 01:26 PM)J24 Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-head-into-nfl-s-new-year

Well, isn't it comforting to know that while other teams' GM's and Personnel Directors have likely been exchanging negotiation like innuendos for weeks, the Bengals are gearing up to take their typically reactionary game plan into free agency?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 02:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: He said the same thing last year, I think it’s more likely he simply doesn’t understand how the cap works than knows anything about plans. I don’t know why people get worked up about it still.

What Au165 said. Go back and read what he said last Offseason before FA and what actually happened.

Night and day. Cannot believe this doosh is getting paid for writing this shit honestly.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 03:56 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: He's wrong in terms of how much money the Bengals have under the cap.

Bingo. Hobspin's job is to take our already low expectations and beat them into the ground with his fuzzy math. 

He will always say the cap space is lower than it is, and he'll always exaggerate how much we have to spend on made up stuff like rookie salaries, retaining our own and the dreaded "injury buffer".

As if other teams with less cap space don't have to account for the same things, yet are usually more active than we are in free agency.

He's always wrong (low) in much space we have, but he's almost always correct that we won't spend much. He's basically there to lower expectations so that fans aren't surprised when the Bengals don't spend, and he conditions many fans to think it's because the Bengals are "doing the right thing", when it's really about them being cheap.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Hobson is off by about 10-15 mill on what the Bengals could realistically spend.
They want to reserve $11 mill for draft picks, but not all of it will go towards the picks since it will knock other players off. The displacement will still leave enough for injury reserve and some for extensions/rollover.
He also is not accounting for any cuts/trades, which the Bengals could/will do if they need any extra cap to sign players they want.
Keep in mind though, they are higher on many of their players than we are, so we may not see the cuts/trades we'd like. We may also see some overpaying on FAs (internal and external) in order to draw them to a small-market, rebuilding team.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 02:48 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Small portion for that, and the rest to re-sign the team's current free agents.

They drop back to draft CB(Surtain/Farley)to replace WJII then use extra 2nd rounder for edge rusher(Lawson replacement)and another O-lineman/WR/TE.

If we use our cap space to re-sign our own free agents then we don't have to use draft picks to replace Lawson and jackson.
Reply/Quote
Even this guy's name sucks.

Geoff? How about you spell it "Jeff" like a normal person, you piece of shit. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 08:32 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Even this guy's name sucks.  

Geoff? How about you spell it "Jeff" like a normal person, you piece of shit.  Smirk

[Image: th?id=OIP.mtUmKn2u8E8wt015c4qmvQHaEK&pid...=291&h=164]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote