Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baker Mayfield
I know people don't think he will transfer to the NFL but I like that dude. Great touch on the ball, not afraid to use his legs and a helluva competitor
Reply/Quote
He sure looks legit. Every time I see him. No fear, all the confidence in the world, elite accuracy, plenty of arm, athletic. He's not huge but he's big enough and solidly built. Ridiculous record as a starter, leader. Don't know what qualities someone would want that he doesn't have.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I could have swore, I just saw tears welling in his eyes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 11:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I could have swore, I just saw tears welling in his eyes.

Is that good or bad? 

[Image: tom-brady-crying-super-bowl-li-trophy.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:33 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Is that good or bad? 

Who am I kidding?  Mayfield will fit right it with the Bengals.  He's already got the one and done part down.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Who am I kidding?  Mayfield will fit right it with the Bengals.  He's already got the one and done part down.

Now who is crying?

I'm sure it's his fault the defense gave up 50 points. 
Reply/Quote
Not even the best qb in the big 12 and he looked confused as hell by the double a gap Georgia ran.
Reply/Quote
Looks like a product of a system to me.  He's got the arm....no question about that.  However....in that first half, he had ALL DAY long to throw the ball.  His offensive line should have been co-Heisman winners.  Also, they called a helluva game from the sidelines.  They don't run the read option in the NFL....it won't be as smooth a transition as people think, in my eyes.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:44 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Now who is crying?

I'm sure it's his fault the defense gave up 50 points. 

Well.....so did Georgia's defense.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
With Marvin most likely coming back, we'll probably have to refocus our QB prospects on the later rounds for a potential McCarron replacement. Dalton ain't going anywhere.

How late is Mason Rudolph projected?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 10:28 AM)Big Boss Wrote: With Marvin most likely coming back, we'll probably have to refocus our QB prospects on the later rounds for a potential McCarron replacement.  Dalton ain't going anywhere.

How late is Mason Rudolph projected?

3rd-4th I believe. And I fully agree. Dalton isn't going anywhere. Don't count on us drafting a QB early unless you want to be disappointed.
Reply/Quote
And we're expected to get a 3rd round comp pick, yes?

Rudolph could be worth the investment. Sit him behind Dalton for a few years, and if Dalton can't get it done by the end of his contract, you've got a potential replacement right there on the bench.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 09:42 AM)Wyche Wrote: Well.....so did Georgia's defense.

Yes and they are a very good defense. Good point in Baker's favor
Oklahoma's defense gives up 50 to just about anyone who steps on the field...except Ohio State 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 09:41 AM)Wyche Wrote: Looks like a product of a system to me.  He's got the arm....no question about that.  However....in that first half, he had ALL DAY long to throw the ball.  His offensive line should have been co-Heisman winners.  Also, they called a helluva game from the sidelines.  They don't run the read option in the NFL....it won't be as smooth a transition as people think, in my eyes.

Every QB ever is a product of their system. 
There's a silly notion that a QB could just jump system to system.

Yes they do run the read option in the NFL. Carolina, KC, even we ran it under Hue.....

His OL shit their pants in the second half. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 05:44 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Not even the best qb in the big 12 and he looked confused as hell by the double a gap Georgia ran.

I know you think Rudolph is the best QB in the Big 12, but explain to me how he was better than Baker Mayfield this past year?

Mayfield - 70.5% completion percentage (led FBS), 4938 total yards (4627 pass, 311 rush), 48 total TDs (43 pass, 5 rush), 6 INTs
Rudolph - 65% completion percentage, 4939 total yards (4904 passing, 35 rush), 47 total TDs (37 pass, 10 rush), 9 INTs

Near identical total yards and TDs but Rudolph had three more INTs.
And Mayfield played against two top 10 defenses in Georgia and Ohio St, which are both ranked ahead of the top defense Rudolph played against, which was Virginia Tech.

I can understand liking what Rudolph brings from a size and talent standpoint (6'5", 230 lbs, big arm), but I don't see how you can argue he was the better QB in the Big 12.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I know you think Rudolph is the best QB in the Big 12, but explain to me how he was better than Baker Mayfield this past year?

Mayfield - 70.5% completion percentage (led FBS), 4938 total yards (4627 pass, 311 rush), 48 total TDs (43 pass, 5 rush), 6 INTs
Rudolph - 65% completion percentage, 4939 total yards (4904 passing, 35 rush), 47 total TDs (37 pass, 10 rush), 9 INTs

Near identical total yards and TDs but Rudolph had three more INTs.
And Mayfield played against two top 10 defenses in Georgia and Ohio St, which are both ranked ahead of the top defense Rudolph played against, which was Virginia Tech.

I can understand liking what Rudolph brings from a size and talent standpoint (6'5", 230 lbs, big arm), but I don't see how you can argue he was the better QB in the Big 12.
I guess I worded it wrong. The op was mentioning his traslation to the nfl and I was mentioning that Rudolph is better than any qb coming out. In college baker was the best qb substantially. I was talking about who would be better in the pros. And Rudolph is my qb1 not just best qb in big 12. I should have worded it differently. In college baker. In the pros Rudolph.
Side note Rudolph plays with the same type of wrs that he would play with in Cincy.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:59 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I guess I worded it wrong. The op was mentioning his traslation to the nfl and I was mentioning that Rudolph is better than any qb coming out. In college baker was the best qb substantially. I was talking about who would be better in the pros. And Rudolph is my qb1 not just best qb in big 12. I should have worded it differently. In college baker. In the pros Rudolph.
Side note Rudolph plays with the same type of wrs that he would play with in Cincy.

Perhaps I haven't watched enough tape on Rudolph, but from the couple games I have watched, he's not good at feeling pressure and isn't good at evading it either. He needs a solid OL to be effective. Reminds me a lot of Palmer in that regard.

In regards to the bolded, how so?
James Washington is 6'1, 205 lbs and he's a deep threat. The Bengals don't really have a receiver like him until maybe Ross gets to play, but he's two inches shorter and 15 lbs less than Washington.
Who would you compare Marcel Ateman to? He's 6'4", 220 lbs and uses his big size to his advantage, but he isn't crazy fast. Green is faster and a much more complete WR than Ateman. Boyd and LaFell are more possession receivers. Erickson is a smaller slot receiver but quick. From a size perspective, he's probably closest to Core, but Core is probably more of a one-trick pony and is also faster than Ateman.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 01:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Perhaps I haven't watched enough tape on Rudolph, but from the couple games I have watched, he's not good at feeling pressure and isn't good at evading it either. He needs a solid OL to be effective. Reminds me a lot of Palmer in that regard.

In regards to the bolded, how so?
James Washington is 6'1, 205 lbs and he's a deep threat. The Bengals don't really have a receiver like him until maybe Ross gets to play, but he's two inches shorter and 15 lbs less than Washington.
Who would you compare Marcel Ateman to? He's 6'4", 220 lbs and uses his big size to his advantage, but he isn't crazy fast. Green is faster and a much more complete WR than Ateman. Boyd and LaFell are more possession receivers. Erickson is a smaller slot receiver but quick. From a size perspective, he's probably closest to Core, but Core is probably more of a one-trick pony and is also faster than Ateman.
He's good at escaping pocket. He's a lot like Rosen where he stands in the pocket till the last possible moment, trusting his receivers to get open. But when it does break down he shows very good mobility for his size ala Carson Wentz.  What games did u watch? To get a good feel for all his strengths and weaknesses the texas, va tech, and Pitt game are the best to watch. As far as wrs go, it was a general comparison. They have Washington who is just like Ross, a speedster who can do it all. He is taller and faster but like I said it's a general comparison. And they have ateman a 6"4 220 pound tall wr who will run about a 4.5 flat which is about what aj ran. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 07:15 PM)Jpoore Wrote: He's good at escaping pocket. He's a lot like Rosen where he stands in the pocket till the last possible moment, trusting his receivers to get open. But when it does break down he shows very good mobility for his size ala Carson Wentz.  What games did u watch? To get a good feel for all his strengths and weaknesses the texas, va tech, and Pitt game are the best to watch. As far as wrs go, it was a general comparison. They have Washington who is just like Ross, a speedster who can do it all. He is taller and faster but like I said it's a general comparison. And they have ateman a 6"4 220 pound tall wr who will run about a 4.5 flat which is about what aj ran. 

The two games I primarily watched were vs TCU and Oklahoma. He was not good at escaping the pocket in those games from what I remember.
And for someone who is good at escaping the pocket, I would expect more than 35 yards rushing total for a 14-game season. There were six games where he had negative yards. From what I watched and also researched, Rudolph is a big pocket passer with a big arm.
And yes, I get rushing yards doesn't equate to exactly pocket escaping ability.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 07:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The two games I primarily watched were vs TCU and Oklahoma. He was not good at escaping the pocket in those games from what I remember.
And for someone who is good at escaping the pocket, I would expect more than 35 yards rushing total for a 14-game season. There were six games where he had negative yards. From what I watched and also researched, Rudolph is a big pocket passer with a big arm.
And yes, I get rushing yards doesn't equate to exactly pocket escaping ability.

The Texas game was probably the worst of his career, Pitt the best, va tech about average. Watch those 3.
Reply/Quote