Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baker Mayfield thanks Cleveland, hinting at departure
(03-16-2022, 04:58 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The Browns don't want Baker, and that seems a little odd but at the same time I know if they gave him a long term contract for $30+ per year as any QB gets these days we would laugh our asses off at how stupid they are.

Are the Browns dumb to alienate Baker?  Who knows...I think they'd be dumber to give him a long term contract because they clearly don't think he's the guy.  My point is they can alienate him and replace him with a whole bunch of QBs who were taken around him for next to nothing. 

Wanted to address this separately. 

Good point. The QB market is absolutely insane lately. Although I do think Baker is probably way up on that list, ability wise. He's not that terrible. 
But $30M/year? Yikes. That is a TON of cap space. I think Baltimore is having the same issues with Lamar too, otherwise they would've extended him now. 

It's almost as if teams would be better off if 1st round picks just flamed out and they could outright release them, rather than go through the problem of what to pay on that second contract. Missing on that 2nd contract is worse and can do more damage than missing on a high 1st round pick. 
Reply/Quote
Well Watson eliminated the Browns

And the Browns now "Want" mayfield as the guy...

Will be interesting to see where this ends up...
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 04:09 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: That is an unbelievable list. Of bad quarterbacks.  With that said, I think Mayfield may actually be better elsewhere, but I really don't have evidence or reasoning to support that other than the fact that he tends to beat the Bengals.  

To be fair, they got Tim Couch killed. He's about the only what if on that list though.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 01:01 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Wanted to address this separately. 

Good point. The QB market is absolutely insane lately. Although I do think Baker is probably way up on that list, ability wise. He's not that terrible. 
But $30M/year? Yikes. That is a TON of cap space. I think Baltimore is having the same issues with Lamar too, otherwise they would've extended him now. 

It's almost as if teams would be better off if 1st round picks just flamed out and they could outright release them, rather than go through the problem of what to pay on that second contract. Missing on that 2nd contract is worse and can do more damage than missing on a high 1st round pick. 

I think of now as the post-Goff contract era, where a team is better off with a bridge to nowhere QB like Tyrod Taylor or a lame duck rookie contract like Daniel Jones than a team that locks up a decent starting QB they drafted.  

If Baker stays with the Browns this year I can see him playing well enough to get at least $30 million per year and then the Browns are probably SOL.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 01:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: To be fair, they got Tim Couch killed. He's about the only what if on that list though.

Agreed.  He was a 1st overall pick QB who went to an expansion dumpster fire.  After that they just played every scrapheap or no-name QB they could find and occasionally drafted a guy in the 1st round who had red flags they chose to ignore.

Any time football fans love to say their team should toss some late round rookie in there to "see what they have in him" I always pointed out that the Browns have done that for decades and have found exactly zero Tom Brady's.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 07:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think that hits the nail on the head.

Is Mayfield a terrible QB ? no But he's also not a QB that's going to elevate your franchise much. I can't really imagine the Browns giving Mayfield a long term contract.

I dont think this is 100% accurate.  Look who he has had coaching him...duds.  I think Baker can be a serviceable QB in the NFL at least to the level of Tannehill, Cousins and the like.  He just needs to be coached up some.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:26 PM)plantmanky Wrote: I dont think this is 100% accurate.  Look who he has had coaching him...duds.  I think Baker can be a serviceable QB in the NFL at least to the level of Tannehill, Cousins and the like.  He just needs to be coached up some.  

I agree, but serviceable QBs who aren't on their rookie deals are poison to an NFL franchise these days.  Baker isn't good enough to sign a big long term contact, and I don't think he'd take a 1 year deal for $15 million, either.  He's likely to be right square in that "Rams screwed themselves by signing Goff" area after this year. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 01:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well Watson eliminated the Browns

And the Browns now "Want" mayfield as the guy...

Will be interesting to see where this ends up...

LMAO
lol what a bunch of hayseeds running that organization. 
Playing footsies with Watson has obviously burned the bridge with Mayfield. 
They finally get a half way decent QB and they've ruined that. 
As a Pitt fan (my kid goes there) I sure as hell hope that they don't draft Pickett and ruin his career. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Any time football fans love to say their team should toss some late round rookie in there to "see what they have in him" I always pointed out that the Browns have done that for decades and have found exactly zero Tom Brady's.

We'll never know because they are the Browns. If the Browns had drafted Brady he would probably be a Wal Mart greeter by now. They're the Browns. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Agreed.  He was a 1st overall pick QB who went to an expansion dumpster fire.  After that they just played every scrapheap or no-name QB they could find and occasionally drafted a guy in the 1st round who had red flags they chose to ignore.

Any time football fans love to say their team should toss some late round rookie in there to "see what they have in him" I always pointed out that the Browns have done that for decades and have found exactly zero Tom Brady's.

Yessir, Joe Burrow just broke his SEC passing yards in a season record in 2019. Torn rotator cuff, surgery, then another shoulder injury. He took a lot of hits in Cleveland, and was still the last QB to take them to the playoffs until the year before last. He got David Carr'd.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 03:27 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: We'll never know because they are the Browns. If the Browns had drafted Brady he would probably be a Wal Mart greeter by now. They're the Browns. 

Hard to say, though...when you look at the Browns' list of QBs in the past 25 years you don't see anyone who left Cleveland and did much of anything.  They just haven't had any good QBs, and that's their fault for not drafting guys like Ben or Mahommes and so on, but I don't see how you can look at the QBs the Browns have had from 1998 onward and say "Oh, that guy was good once he got out of Cleveland."

If Baker leaves the Browns and has a winning season as a starting QB somewhere, I think he'll be the first QB to leave Cleveland and be a legit QB for another team.

The current Browns have a lot of talent and they've gotten a good amount of production out of most of their team.  Baker was hurt last year, but he's also really good at throwing a game killing INT when the game is on the line.  Is that on the Browns?  Maybe.  Unless Baker leaves now and goes to the Colts, I'm not sure the Browns are going to look like idiots for letting him go.  They might, but I still think until further notice the real mistake would be giving him a big ol' contract. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 03:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yessir, Joe Burrow just broke his SEC passing yards in a season record in 2019. Torn rotator cuff, surgery, then another shoulder injury. He took a lot of hits in Cleveland, and was still the last QB to take them to the playoffs until the year before last. He got David Carr'd.

He got Carr-ed before Carr and Klingler got Carr-ed before that.  
Reply/Quote
Baker Mayfield has requested a trade.

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1504541313420648450?s=21
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 04:40 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Baker Mayfield has requested a trade.

[Image: ray-liotta-laughing.gif]
Reply/Quote

And the Browns said they will deny the request.

Baker Mayfield requests trade from Cleveland Browns, says it is in 'best interests of both sides to move on' (espn.com)
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote

LoL. Just when it seems the Browns got their shit together for a season here we go again.  Again, new commercial, "What home for Baker Mayfield?"  Sponsored by Zillow or Home Finder. I wonder what Amari Cooper is thinking right now.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
The Browns really screwed this one up. Mayfield can be a competitive QB with the right franchise.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 06:21 PM)basballguy Wrote: The Browns really screwed this one up.  Mayfield can be a competitive QB with the right franchise.

Yup, good to see
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 06:21 PM)basballguy Wrote: The Browns really screwed this one up.  Mayfield can be a competitive QB with the right franchise.

Maybe.  I still think it would have been the best for us if Mayfield had a decent 2022 and the Browns thought "Well, he's the best QB we've had since we were the Ravens, so we gotta give him $40 million per year."

2021 was just dreadful for his future in Cleveland.  Throwing 4 INTS including one on the final drive when the Browns are down by 2 against the Packers on Christmas day just seemed to slam the door on the guy.  I know the Browns suck, but man oh man he's just so good at turning the ball over every time they need him to make a play.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I agree, but serviceable QBs who aren't on their rookie deals are poison to an NFL franchise these days.  Baker isn't good enough to sign a big long term contact, and I don't think he'd take a 1 year deal for $15 million, either.  He's likely to be right square in that "Rams screwed themselves by signing Goff" area after this year. 

Very well could be, but hes also 1 QB injury away from being a gold commodity too. 
Reply/Quote