Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baldness/Balding
Anyone here ever deal or dealing with a real quick receding hairline and thinning hair?

Is it better to just straight go bald or let it happen slower? It's inevitable for me it'd seem. It's just odd as I'm only 24 and no one else in my family has this problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 08:08 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Anyone here ever deal or dealing with a real quick receding hairline and thinning hair?

Is it better to just straight go bald or let it happen slower? It's inevitable for me it'd seem. It's just odd as I'm only 24 and no one else in my family has this problem.

Unless you have a really ****** up head shape, you gotta get rid of things that are gonna leave you. I actually started shaving my head for shit's and giggles when I was about 24. I started letting it grow back around 30. It had been so long since I'd seen myself with hair that I didn't notice my hair had started thinning. I'm 43 now, and still not bald by any means, but the hair on top just isn't as thick as it once was.

Nobody can tell you when the time is right, but you'll more than likely look better if you just do away with it. You can work your way up to taking a razor to it. Start cutting it shorter, and shorter til you're used to it. Then just do it.

You're gonna look funny to yourself at first, but you really won't to others. Then all you have to do is not worry about getting too much sun on it... A lil goes a long way....

Facial hair or stubble can ease the shock of seeing yourself bald...

Good luck my friend. Happens to the best of us.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 08:22 PM)jason Wrote: Unless you have a really ***** up head shape, you gotta get rid of things that are gonna leave you. I actually started shaving my head for shit's and giggles when I was about 24. I started letting it grow back around 30. It had been so long since I'd seen myself with hair that I didn't notice my hair had started thinning. I'm 43 now, and still not bald by any means, but the hair on top just isn't as thick as it once was.

Nobody can tell you when the time is right, but you'll more than likely look better if you just do away with it. You can work your way up to taking a razor to it. Start cutting it shorter, and shorter til you're used to it. Then just do it.

You're gonna look funny to yourself at first, but you really won't to others. Then all you have to do is not worry about getting too much sun on it... A lil goes a long way....

Lol, I've seen some dudes with shaved, weird shaped heads, and just thought to myself "Man, looks like your Mom contracted, when she should have pushed".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 08:22 PM)jason Wrote: Unless you have a really ***** up head shape, you gotta get rid of things that are gonna leave you. I actually started shaving my head for shit's and giggles when I was about 24. I started letting it grow back around 30. It had been so long since I'd seen myself with hair that I didn't notice my hair had started thinning. I'm 43 now, and still not bald by any means, but the hair on top just isn't as thick as it once was.

I think my head is normal shaped. Kinda small maybe for how big I am, but normal nonetheless. Never seen it really lol. I like your suggestion of gradually going shorter and shorter. Will probably end up doing that since easing into it will probably make me less self conscious about it. I can grow a massive beard though so I'll definitely keep that at least.

It's weird that something as seemingly as insignificant as hair can make you feel.

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 08:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Lol, I've seen some dudes with shaved, weird shaped heads, and just thought to myself "Man, looks like your Mom contracted, when she should have pushed".

Yeah. I know the type. I'm lucky that I have a very rounded head. I think all and all completely bald still looks better than the horseshoe look. I do still miss the feeling of my hair blowing in the wind with the windows down or on a motorcycle or boat, but I'm at peace with it for the most part. Until I bump my head on something and cut it... Every time. I watched the OSU and Michigan game last year with dry blood all over my head, and forehead because I bashed it at work earlier that morning. Didn't have time to deal with til the game was over.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 08:36 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: I think my head is normal shaped. Kinda small maybe for how big I am, but normal nonetheless. Never seen it really lol. I like your suggestion of gradually going shorter and shorter. Will probably end up doing that since easing into it will probably make me less self conscious about it. I can grow a massive beard though so I'll definitely keep that at least.

It's weird that something as seemingly as insignificant as hair can make you feel.

Yeah. Like I said... I even shaved mine when I had a full head of hair, but when I discovered it was thinning, I still felt a lil insecure.

I'm not going to sugar-coat it. You will look wierd to yourself for awhile. Kinda like how when you shave off your beard your face looks really funny. Nobody else will see it that way though.

I can't stress keeping it covered in the sun enough. If you're gonna be out in it for more than an hour or two, you need a hat.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 08:38 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah. I know the type. I'm lucky that I have a very rounded head. I think all and all completely bald still looks better than the horseshoe look. I do still miss the feeling of my hair blowing in the wind with the windows down or on a motorcycle or boat, but I'm at peace with it for the most part. Until I bump my head on something and cut it... Every time. I watched the OSU and Michigan game last year with dry blood all over my head, and forehead because I bashed it at work earlier that morning. Didn't have time to deal with til the game was over.

[Image: 23659289_10212499679759782_6335655463959...e=5AABD2BF]

That's me, with the big back, and insanely growing bald spot...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
[Image: 23755571_10212499682719856_2037248101429...e=5A9D5904]

And, here's the giant forehead, growing by the day.  BTW, that pretty young lady only weighs 118, but she deadlifted 370 for a new personal record.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I know the struggle!  Thinning, receding hair line....I got so pissed about it one day, ten years ago, i said I'll just beat it to the punch.  Went out and bought some Bic razors and shaving cream and started shaving.  Been shaving ever since.  I've since moved on to the Dollar Shave Club instead of cheap-O Bics, and saved myself a ton of money and those Dollar Shave Club razors really are nice.  better than anything I've shaved with in the past.  I've been thinking of letting it grow back out a little and just using my electric shears to trim it up to as close as I can, but my wife really like the smooth top, so I've delayed that idea.  Like Jason said before, grow a beard with it.  Once I grew my beard, I actually felt "normal" again.  And another thing Jason mentioned was to cover that head up if your out in the sun for any amount of time.  I can't stress that enough either.  Buy a lid for that noggin. You never want it to get sun burnt.   I'm speaking from experience, that ***** sucked!
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 08:08 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Anyone here ever deal or dealing with a real quick receding hairline and thinning hair?

Well hair line supposedly comes from your mothers father if you want someone to blame lol...  (although I have my dads side hair line)

All my uncles and dad and grandpa were bald so I knew it was coming.. Had a widows peak in high school  (knew someone that was full blown bald in high school  like horseshoe type hair)

I keep mine buzzed.  to me its better for it all to be even or as close to minimal as possible  don't see any reason to have hair on the sides if none on top...  (not trying to get a comb over lol)

Embrace your baldness  it makes things easier.     And get a hat...  It gets cold

Some people hang onto every little scrap they can. like their hair is that important lol.    
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 09:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: [Image: 23755571_10212499682719856_2037248101429...e=5A9D5904]

And, here's the giant forehead, growing by the day.  BTW, that pretty young lady only weighs 118, but she deadlifted 370 for a new personal record.

I was going to make about things pretty women can lift. And then I realized that the pretty young lady in question could be your daughter and decided I'd rather not make a joke to a dad that can probably deadlift my car. And then hit me with it.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 04:50 PM)Benton Wrote: I was going to make about things pretty women can lift. And then I realized that the pretty young lady in question could be your daughter and decided I'd rather not make a joke to a dad that can probably deadlift my car. And then hit me with it.

Lol, young enough to be my daughter, for sure.  Nicole and her husband are both in the Army, stationed at Ft. Bragg.  I was the Judge at that show, and felt old enough to be every contestants father.

Funny though, the lady that took these pictures took about a dozen with me in them.  As I'm looking at them, I comment to my wife;  "Why does every picture seem to accentuate my balding head?", she replied "Because your head is now a billboard of masculinity, in other words, you're getting old.".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 06:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Lol, young enough to be my daughter, for sure.  Nicole and her husband are both in the Army, stationed at Ft. Bragg.  I was the Judge at that show, and felt old enough to be every contestants father.

Funny though, the lady that took these pictures took about a dozen with me in them.  As I'm looking at them, I comment to my wife;  "Why does every picture seem to accentuate my balding head?", she replied "Because your head is now a billboard of masculinity, in other words, you're getting old.".

Man, what is it with wives.

My daughter does lessons with a local college's soccer coach. That sounds super pretentious but it's pretty common (at least here in a college town where a good number of the coaches are doing all manner of side job to pay the bills). Anyway, the coach (who is in her early 20s) texted us a map to field. I spent five minutes complaining about the map being too small to read and finally my wife said "The map isn't too small, you're just getting old."

Damn if I didn't hold it at arm's length and was able to see it.

LOL

I've got to get out of the office and get back in shape, though. My 9-year-old almost beat me in a race out to a storage building today.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 01:59 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I know the struggle!  Thinning, receding hair line....I got so pissed about it one day, ten years ago, i said I'll just beat it to the punch.  Went out and bought some Bic razors and shaving cream and started shaving.  Been shaving ever since.  I've since moved on to the Dollar Shave Club instead of cheap-O Bics, and saved myself a ton of money and those Dollar Shave Club razors really are nice.  better than anything I've shaved with in the past.  I've been thinking of letting it grow back out a little and just using my electric shears to trim it up to as close as I can, but my wife really like the smooth top, so I've delayed that idea.  Like Jason said before, grow a beard with it.  Once I grew my beard, I actually felt "normal" again.  And another thing Jason mentioned was to cover that head up if your out in the sun for any amount of time.  I can't stress that enough either.  Buy a lid for that noggin. You never want it to get sun burnt.   I'm speaking from experience, that ***** sucked!

First time I ever burnt my head, I was in Santa Cruz, California. It was August. The temperature out there in late summer is pretty mild... Mid to upper 70's. So we're out on the Pacific 1 highway having a great time. I didn't even feel it happening, but my scalp got lit... Lobster red. I struggled to pull a shirt over my head for a week or so after that. I think I may have let it happen a time or two since, but never that bad. Hell one day I found myself out on a cloudy day without a hat. All of the sudden the clouds break, and it's really sunny. I made my way to the nearest store, and had to settle for a flat billed, fitted Oakland Raiders hat for the day. I looked rediculous, but I didn't get burnt.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

I've never had a lot of hair on my head.  Back and shoulders?  Sure.  But head?  Not so much.  My hair was on the thin side when I was a teen.  I'm kinda proud of the amount of hair I've been able to hold onto into my 50s, because when I was a teen, I was convinced I would be bald by this point.

Everyone has to choose their own path, but for me, the "just go ahead and shave it off" approach aint gonna work.  I could have one hair left on my head, and I would make sure to grow it several feet long and then swoop it around my head like a strand of spaghetti and spray it with Aqua Net.  I will not go gently into that bald night.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Thank you all for the advice. I went ahead and just shaved my head. Don't actually own a razer so I just used my beard trimmers. My girlfriend had fun shaving my head though.

Reply/Quote
I'd post a before and after picture but I actually don't have a recent picture of me with hair. Most recent I could find was 3 years old

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 10:32 PM)jason Wrote: First time I ever burnt my head, I was in Santa Cruz, California. It was August. The temperature out there in late summer is pretty mild... Mid to upper 70's. So we're out on the Pacific 1 highway having a great time. I didn't even feel it happening, but my scalp got lit... Lobster red. I struggled to pull a shirt over my head for a week or so after that. I think I may have let it happen a time or two since, but never that bad. Hell one day I found myself out on a cloudy day without a hat. All of the sudden the clouds break, and it's really sunny. I made my way to the nearest store, and had to settle for a flat billed, fitted Oakland Raiders hat for the day. I looked rediculous, but I didn't get burnt.

Worst letter to Penthouse ever!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 11:07 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Worst letter to Penthouse ever!

"Burnt my head" was the tipoff, so to speak.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 08:22 PM)jason Wrote: Unless you have a really ***** up head shape, you gotta get rid of things that are gonna leave you. 

This goes for women as well as hair.
Reply/Quote