Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baltimore removes 4 statues over night
(08-20-2017, 08:59 AM)GMDino Wrote: That is literally the first time I ever heard of such a thing.

If it is true is it as ironic as white people wanting them removed for the same reason?

You could literally say that about just about any demographic.
So, someone said something on Twitter that really made me think a little differently about these statues and monuments. The statues of Lee and Jackson in Charlottesville were erected in the 1920s, and there were many erected during that time, and then again in the 1960s as a response to the Civil Rights movement. But the ones erected in the 1920s, that would be like if Germany had erected statues and monuments to the Third Reich 10-15 years ago. That is a bit mind boggling, to me. How would you feel about Germany erected monuments to the Third Reich? Or how about in 28 years when we reach the centennial of the end?
The GOP county executive from my home county (Howard County) removed a confederate monument an hour ago. It was commissioned by a pro confederate group in 1948. He is giving it to the local museum for their civil war exhibit.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/mlk-homosexuality-a-problem-with-a-solution/

Was just reading that Martin Luther King Jr. was not a proponent of homosexuality. Welp, I guess it's time for all those monuments dedicated to him, and all the roadways named after him to go..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(08-22-2017, 02:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/mlk-homosexuality-a-problem-with-a-solution/

Was just reading that Martin Luther King Jr. was not a proponent of homosexuality. Welp, I guess it's time for all those monuments dedicated to him, and all the roadways named after him to go..

There is a difference between someone having and expressing an opinion on something like that, and someone actively fighting for a cause. The statues we are talking about in the current climate are of people that literally committed treason to perpetuate the institution of slavery.
(08-22-2017, 02:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/mlk-homosexuality-a-problem-with-a-solution/

Was just reading that Martin Luther King Jr. was not a proponent of homosexuality.  Welp, I guess it's time for all those monuments dedicated to him, and all the roadways named after him to go..

Should we look at any of the things he was a proponent of too?  Maybe just to see if he did something good?   Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Was just reading that Martin Luther King Jr. was not a proponent of homosexuality.  Welp, I guess it's time for all those monuments dedicated to him, and all the roadways named after him to go..

As far as I know, he never joined in a rebellion against this country. I'm not sure what comparison you were attempting to make.

(08-22-2017, 03:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There is a difference between someone having and expressing an opinion on something like that, and someone actively fighting for a cause. The statues we are talking about in the current climate are of people that literally committed treason to perpetuate the institution of slavery.

(08-22-2017, 03:38 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: As far as I know, he never joined in a rebellion against this country. I'm not sure what comparison you were attempting to make.

I'm logically guessing he's referring to the next step being pondered, the removal of monuments to Jefferson, Washington and other founders because they were slave owners.  It's quite obvious that his point is that even great, and morally good men from history could have held beliefs, or undertaken actions, that by the standards of their day were not extreme or even considered wrong but that, viewed through the moral prism of today's society are considered morally reprehensible. 
(08-22-2017, 03:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm logically guessing he's referring to the next step being pondered, the removal of monuments to Jefferson, Washington and other founders because they were slave owners.  It's quite obvious that his point is that even great, and morally good men from history could have held beliefs, or undertaken actions, that by the standards of their day were not extreme or even considered wrong but that, viewed through the moral prism of today's society are considered morally reprehensible. 

Since no one was discussing that with any sincerity, I was not making that assumption.
(08-22-2017, 04:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Since no one was discussing that with any sincerity, I was not making that assumption.

How so?  I made that exact point in earlier in the thread, about people coming for Washington and Jefferson next.  I even posted a CNN clip of a member of the DNC subsequently doing exactly that.
(08-22-2017, 04:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Since no one was discussing that with any sincerity, I was not making that assumption.

The point that SSF made, was what I was going to lead up to.  (I got called out, just got back)  But seriously, we've got bozos trying to tear down Peace statues in Atlanta, Abe Lincoln Statues in Chicago, Christopher Columbus statues somewhere else.  Now, we're getting calls from the 'reverend" Al Sharpton to take down Jefferson memorials.  

I mean if we're going to try to not remember anyone that doesn't fit today's PC mold of the "ideal" American, why stop there?  MLK didn't embrace homosexuality?  That makes him a bigot, by today's standards.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(08-22-2017, 05:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The point that SSF made, was what I was going to lead up to.  (I got called out, just got back)  But seriously, we've got bozos trying to tear down Peace statues in Atlanta, Abe Lincoln Statues in Chicago, Christopher Columbus statues somewhere else.  Now, we're getting calls from the 'reverend" Al Sharpton to take down Jefferson memorials.  

I mean if we're going to try to not remember anyone that doesn't fit today's PC mold of the "ideal" American, why stop there?  MLK didn't embrace homosexuality?  That makes him a bigot, by today's standards.

Not that I agree with Sharpton, but if you're referring to his comments to Charlie Rose, he only said that the Jefferson Memorial should be privately funded, not publicly funded. There's no real call for removing any of those monuments and there's also a huge difference between owning humans and thinking people being gay is wrong. Hell, people currently serve in our government who hold that view of gay people. 

(08-22-2017, 06:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Not that I agree with Sharpton, but if you're referring to his comments to Charlie Rose, he only said that the Jefferson Memorial should be privately funded, not publicly funded. There's no real call for removing any of those monuments and there's also a huge difference between owning humans and thinking people being gay is wrong. Hell, people currently serve in our government who hold that view of gay people. 

Right, we fought our deadliest war ever, as a Nation over it.  We decided it was wrong, we outlawed it, and moved forward.  I would just like to see the removal, putting into a museum, or what ever, come from the course of logical decision making through public process, rather than succumbing to an "angry" mob and a bought and paid for media.  That's all.

You'll get no argument from me, that the time has long passed since when those Confederate statues should have been removed from non-historical sites.  But doing it from the demands of a mob (one that I don't even think is homogenous) is not the way to do things.  In my mind, that is the equivalent of municipalities caving in to the demands of domestic terrorists.

I used the MLK analogy, because it was so absurd, after all the great work he did in his lifetime.  And to point out that even the best humans are likely to have "undesirable" traits or characteristics about them.  So, if the gay community were to start rioting and demanding removal of MLK statues and thoroughfares, should we cave into their demands as well?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Well well ...they caught a lefty in the act of trying to blow up a statue.

http://nypost.com/2017/08/21/feds-bust-man-for-plotting-to-blow-up-confederate-statue/
(08-22-2017, 06:39 PM)Vlad Wrote: Well well ...they caught a lefty in the act of trying to blow up a statue.

http://nypost.com/2017/08/21/feds-bust-man-for-plotting-to-blow-up-confederate-statue/

Quote:He allegedly was carrying two small boxes of duct tape and wires.

I'm not a demolitions expert, but I'm pretty sure you can't make a bomb out of just duct tape and wires.
(08-22-2017, 06:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Not that I agree with Sharpton, but if you're referring to his comments to Charlie Rose, he only said that the Jefferson Memorial should be privately funded, not publicly funded. There's no real call for removing any of those monuments and there's also a huge difference between owning humans and thinking people being gay is wrong. Hell, people currently serve in our government who hold that view of gay people. 

Actually, homosexuality wasn't an issue in many (most?) cultures before the advent of monotheism.  Slavery has been the norm pretty much everywhere for the vast majority of human history.
(08-22-2017, 06:49 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm not a demolitions expert, but I'm pretty sure you can't make a bomb out of just duct tape and wires.

Check this article, from the city it took place in.  They found explosive material in his home, they had to evacuate the block.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/HPD-HFD-FBI-on-scene-overnight-at-Rice-11946918.php?ipid=bncollection&cmpid=twitter-desktop

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(08-22-2017, 05:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: How so?  I made that exact point in earlier in the thread, about people coming for Washington and Jefferson next.  I even posted a CNN clip of a member of the DNC subsequently doing exactly that.

I know you had mentioned the slippery slope argument, but I hadn't seen anyone here saying it should happen and really hadn't seen anyone that people would take seriously say it (I didn't see your video).
(08-22-2017, 07:28 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I know you had mentioned the slippery slope argument, but I hadn't seen anyone here saying it should happen and really hadn't seen anyone that people would take seriously say it (I didn't see your video).

Fair enough, brother.
These leftist so obsessed with violence and hatred are to be commended for waiting for the proper removal of slave owner Andrew Jackson from the $20...surprised they're not burning $20's they're that stupid.

Harriet Tubman not a good idea as a replacement though.

[Image: 5717e7981900002d0056bbd2.jpeg?ops=scalef..._noupscale]