Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barkley's knee
Per Ian Rappaport...grade 3 MCL sprain. If we put him on IR designated to return he must first be placed on the 53 roster

#Bengals QB Matt Barkley, who had impressed this preseason and had a good shot at the No. 2 job, suffered a grade 3 MCL sprain, source said. Bad news. A candidate for Injured Reserve, potentially to return at some point in 2018.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 08:47 PM)pally Wrote: Per Ian Rappaport...grade 3 MCL sprain.  If we put him on IR designated to return he must first be placed on the 53 roster

#Bengals QB Matt Barkley, who had impressed this preseason and had a good shot at the No. 2 job, suffered a grade 3 MCL sprain, source said. Bad news. A candidate for Injured Reserve, potentially to return at some point in 2018.

To be honest; this is the best we can hope for. Keep Barkley at no cost except for exposing your 54th best player for 24 hours.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Who on earth would pick up Barkley, let alone an injured Barkley. This is an easy decision, call him up when he's healthy if one of your guys isn't.
Reply/Quote
Hmm, what a shame. Might just have to release him with a small injury settlement.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 08:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: To be honest; this is the best we can hope for. Keep Barkley at no cost except for exposing your 54th best player for 24 hours.

I didn't get this at first but I'm trying. From what I'm gathering, we can add him to the 53 roster (before we make it final) and then put him on practice squad or something and re-add the 54th guy? I almost get it but don't get it.  Confused

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 09:33 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I didn't get this at first but I'm trying. From what I'm gathering, we can add him to the 53 roster (before we make it final) and then put him on practice squad or something and re-add the 54th guy? I almost get it but don't get it.  Confused

If placed on IR before the 53 man roster is set, then they are on IR all season with no chance of coming back.

But to qualify to be an 'IR designated to return' player, he has to be on the 53 man roster at start of season. Once he is on the 53 roster, he would be placed on IR, with the chance to return after 8 weeks. Then they can go to practice squad or free agency to replace him while on he is on IR. Also teams can now use two players for this.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 09:42 PM)Millhouse Wrote: If placed on IR before the 53 man roster is set, then they are on IR all season with no chance of coming back.

But to qualify to be an 'IR designated to return' player, he has to be on the 53 man roster at start of season. Once he is on the 53 roster, he would be placed on IR, with the chance to return after 8 weeks. Then they can go to practice squad or free agency to replace him while on he is on IR. Also teams can now use two players for this.

Is Barkley worth risking another player?

Isn't the team already going to risk Tate so that Core can be on the IR to return?

Personally, I think the healthy guys are worth more to the team than the injured ones, even if it means losing the injured ones for the whole season. Core and Barkley aren't worth it to me to lose Tate and another player. but maybe I'm overvaluing Tate and undervaluing Core or Barkley.

Reply/Quote
Yawn, wasting a spot or a thought on Barkley
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 12:01 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Is Barkley worth risking another player?

Isn't the team already going to risk Tate so that Core can be on the IR to return?

Personally, I think the healthy guys are worth more to the team than the injured ones, even if it means losing the injured ones for the whole season. Core and Barkley aren't worth it to me to lose Tate and another player. but maybe I'm overvaluing Tate and undervaluing Core or Barkley.

I agree. 

I wouldn't put someone on the 53 then IR him if he isn't a valuable contributor to the team. Do that for guys like Erickson, a known good backup qb, Dennard and on up the depth chart. Not for guys at the bottom beneath players like that.

I hope the Bengals don't go this route, unless they are sure they wont lose the player they will call up. I mean I guess if thats the case, they don't have to bring them off of IR if they dont want to, and that player will be around for next offseason. Or if no one else gets hurt and something happens, that player like Core or Barkley can be back for last half of season if need be too.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
We can keep BOTH of our mediocre backups now!

[Image: giphy.gif]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
IR Barkley.....then, if he isn't traded before cutdown, steal Kobb from the Stealers....
Reply/Quote