Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barnidge
(05-04-2017, 01:36 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: "Martellus Bennett? Who needs the putz, we have Clay Harbor." - Never said Bill Belichick on his way to winning the Super Bowl.

Silly Belichick. He'll regret that move when Harbor is a solid special teamer 5 years from now. Tough to replace those.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 07:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Last year was Kroft's year to "step up" and he didn't.  Since Eifert had part of his back removed I supposed this is also going to be Kroft's year to step-up.  Meh, I'm not holding my breath.

Who has caught more passes in games for us.. OT Fischer or TE Kroft?
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 02:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Need to mention Barnidge was a top option in Cleveland, Uzomah was not.

Uzomah had his chances with eifert being out...  Didn't capitalize
Reply/Quote
I'd bring in Gary because Eifert will get hurt.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 04:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know we all think unless someone visits us we are doing nothing. But, the first thing I would do is reach out to get a price range from his agent. If he fits in my price range, then bring him for a visit (kick the tires), but if out of my range, I would not waste my time or energy.

I did not look at a Mercedes is I have a Volkswagen budget.

Maybe they did kick the tires on Mangold and him?

Agree wholeheartedly, ESPECIALLY Mangold.  If he has anything at all left, it's bound to be better than what we have been trotting out there recently.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 12:57 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Everything you are asking could be flipped right back at you.

How do you guys know Kroft will be better? And how do you guys know Barnidge will fall off? Let's just admit that neither of us know, but some of us aren't quite sold on Kroft's potential. 

I don't always ask for aging players to take the position of a young player, so no...I wouldn't "flip the roster". In most cases, I would actually be against taking an aging player over a young one...but when you consider all factors (Eifert's health, his importance to the offense, lack of anyone proven behind him, and that Kroft has been a disappointment), this is one case where I'd consider it.

I don't think it's as crazy an idea as you guys make it seem.

I don't know how you can really judge Kroft as a disappointment.. if you are referring to injury sure.. but since he was injuried most of the year last year.. i don;t see anyway to judge him on such limited play.  Bottom line we have 4 TEs coming back that know the system, all young and all able to improve their game ... and adds no more cost to your team.  Finally if the Bengals were that concerned this group they would have done some. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 07:54 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don't know how you can really judge Kroft as a disappointment.. if you are referring to injury sure.. but since he was injuried most of the year last year.. i don;t see anyway to judge him on such limited play.  Bottom line we have 4 TEs coming back that know the system, all young and all able to improve their game ... and adds no more cost to your team.  Finally if the Bengals were that concerned this group they would have done some. 

Really really easily.

He's a 2015 3rd round pick who played in 14 games (11 starts) last year and got 10 catches/92 yards (9.2 AVG)/0 TD.

That's textbook disappointment. It's not like he had a lack of opportunity, either. Eifert was either out or limited for most of the season, so Kroft played on 34.4% of the offensive snaps, or just 5% less than Eifert and 3.4% less than Uzomah.

I am not sure how over 1/3rd of the season's offensive snaps is "such limited play". Burkhead had 21.9% of the snaps in 2016 to impress. Josh Shaw impressed in 10.4% of the defensive snaps in 2015 to surpass Dennard on the depth chart for a starting role in 2016.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 07:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You're arguing for a potential longshot, while I am saying take the sure thing.

Right, every 32 year old free agent is a "sure thing".

No free agent signing like that has ever turned out badly.

Hilarious

How about this for a sig bet.  "The Bengal's top TE this year has more receptions than Barnidge?"
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 12:43 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Really really easily.

He's a 2015 3rd round pick who played in 14 games (11 starts) last year and got 10 catches/92 yards (9.2 AVG)/0 TD.

That's textbook disappointment. It's not like he had a lack of opportunity, either. Eifert was either out or limited for most of the season, so Kroft played on 34.4% of the offensive snaps, or just 5% less than Eifert and 3.4% less than Uzomah.

I am not sure how over 1/3rd of the season's offensive snaps is "such limited play". Burkhead had 21.9% of the snaps in 2016 to impress. Josh Shaw impressed in 10.4% of the defensive snaps in 2015 to surpass Dennard on the depth chart for a starting role in 2016.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2582410/tyler-kroft

Sure, it's easy to bust on the guy for only catching 21 passes in two seasons.  However, they only threw the ball his direction 26 times.  Not his fault for not having better numbers.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 08:48 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2582410/tyler-kroft

Sure, it's easy to bust on the guy for only catching 21 passes in two seasons.  However, they only threw the ball his direction 26 times.  Not his fault for not having better numbers.

Of course, if they're not throwing him the ball, perhaps he isn't open.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 12:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Of course, if they're not throwing him the ball, perhaps he isn't open.

This is just a guess, but it may have something to do with how fast Andy needs to get rid of the ball.  When Eiftert is in the game, he is likely Andy's second look, after AJ Green.  When someone other that Tyler Eiftert is in the game at TE, I'm guessing that person becomes the 3rd or 4th look, rather than the 2nd.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 01:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This is just a guess, but it may have something to do with how fast Andy needs to get rid of the ball.  When Eiftert is in the game, he is likely Andy's second look, after AJ Green.  When someone other that Tyler Eiftert is in the game at TE, I'm guessing that person becomes the 3rd or 4th look, rather than the 2nd.

Didn't stop Boyd and Uzomah from getting plenty of looks.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 07:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Right, every 32 year old free agent is a "sure thing".

No free agent signing like that has ever turned out badly.

Hilarious

How about this for a sig bet.  "The Bengal's top TE this year has more receptions than Barnidge?"

Except I am not arguing for Barnidge to be the Bengals' top TE. I am arguing for him to be their #2 TE/emergency plan for Eifert injuries.

So if you want a bet that would be actually based on what I am saying rather than what you make up, it would be Barnidge vs Bengals #2 TE (presumably Uzomah).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 12:43 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Really really easily.

Snaps especially a young player with limited snaps do not insure that a player is not performing well... play calling etc comes into play.. tight ends also block.. as i stated before which you seemed to ignore.. Barnidge did nothing for 5 to 6 years... so with your mindset he should have been out of the league i guess... 
I don;t think after two years... we can just assume a player is no good.. again I guess you would have cut Dre also after two years and now look where he is.. but i guess you are a quick draw type thinker.. 
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 12:23 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Snaps especially a young player with limited snaps do not insure that a player is not performing well... play calling etc comes into play.. tight ends also block.. as i stated before which you seemed to ignore.. Barnidge did nothing for 5 to 6 years... so with your mindset he should have been out of the league i guess... 
I don;t think after two years... we can just assume a player is no good.. again I guess you would have cut Dre also after two years and now look where he is.. but i guess you are a quick draw type thinker.. 

What we don't know is the extent of Kroft's injuries, or the recovery from them. He may have been healthy enough to block more than run routes. Marvin is not one to give detailed injury reports. A healthy Kroft may turn out to be better than what Barnidge once was for all we know. There's a reason why the team didn't 'go big' in the draft or FA at the position up to this point. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 06:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except I am not arguing for Barnidge to be the Bengals' top TE. I am arguing for him to be their #2 TE/emergency plan for Eifert injuries.

So if you want a bet that would be actually based on what I am saying rather than what you make up, it would be Barnidge vs Bengals #2 TE (presumably Uzomah).

Okay, I'll take that bet, but you are going to have to bet more than me because you claim you are taking a "sure thing" over a "bust".  Surely you agree that the odds arev massively in your favor, right?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 08:41 PM)firstand10 Wrote: What do you guys think of Gary Barnidge as a TE playing for us?
Wink

I'd take him, but don't see him getting on the field

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 11:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Meh. Who needs a guy with 134 catches over the last 2 years (with 0 missed games) to back up a key piece of our offense that's always hurt?

I'd rather keep Kroft and his 21 career catches and hope he turns out to be as good as Barnidge someday.

Btw...free agents have cooties.

To be fair, Uzomah has passed Kroft on the depth chart, and I really liked (and apparently so do the Bengals) what we saw from him in limited action.  They are also still very high on Kroft and Hewitt, both of who had substantial injuries a year ago.

The Bengals did bring in Andre Smith for the upcoming season, and Kevaire Russel, Karlos Dansby, and Brandon Lafell last year.  So, they did get some cooties...

And I sure like what they got in the draft with some of the compensatory picks from FA that signed elsewhere...
Reply/Quote
Not all injuries are created equal and not all TEs are either for that matter. 
Remember Dan Coats? No, not the Indiana congressman, the former Bengals TE who everyone thought was horrible. He routinely dropped passes, but what was overlooked that season was he was dropping passes when his thumb was just about torn off his hand, but he stayed in there and kept playing. 
Now Eifert seemingly gets a hangnail and is out for the season. 
Nobody can sit and tell us just how much pain is too much pain for anyone else to endure nor on the flip side they can't realistically tell us it's not enough pain.
For whatever reason players get injuries we generally don't get a lot of information about. The pain-o-meter just isn't made public nor should it be. Pain is just too hard to predict because it's just too subjective for the person feeling it.
I'm sure everyone here knows someone, usually several people who takes the day off because they have a cramp in their little toe or whatever while the next person is willing to go to work with two broken legs. That's just the way it goes. I suspect football players are much like the general public with pain. Some will keep on playing despite severe pain while some are ready to fold with even minor skin irritations..

Oh wait..we were talking about the potential benefits of bringing in Gary Barnridge to be a backup.. I might be ok with it, but I have no idea how much money he wants or what the extent of the injuries were to the guys currently on our roster. Perhaps our guys tried to play through severe pain and couldn't or as in the above examples became pain drama queens. We just don't get enough information to make these determinations . I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that's why we have team doctors and personnel departments and so on. Sadly teams tend to leave the information we receive up to the PR department. If you were severely injured would you rather get a diagnosis from the doctors or from the hospitals PR department? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote