Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barnwell ranks Bengals offensive weapons #16
ESPN's Bill Barnwell ranks the Bengals offensive arsenal as middle of the pack, putting them at #16:

16. Cincinnati Bengals

If the Bengals could ever get all of their weapons on the field at the same time and protect Andy Dalton, they would be absolutely terrifying. Imagine a receiving corps with A.J. GreenTyler EifertTyler Boyd and 2017 ninth overall pick John Ross as the primary targets, and the duo of Gio Bernardand Joe Mixon working out of the backfield. Injuries limited several of those weapons in 2017, with Eifert and Ross combining for just five touches all season. Green's impact was dulled by an offensive line that didn't give Dalton enough time to find his star wideout. Investments in the line should help this group play up in 2018, although Eifert and Ross will perennially be question marks, given the injury histories.
Reply/Quote
I don't know about Eifert, but the rest of our weapons might be ranked a little higher in my thinking. But then, there's still some what if's.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Saw that article. Got a chuckle out of the word "terrifying". Got depressed on the word "if".
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 02:47 PM)BengalD Wrote: Saw that article.  Got a chuckle out of the word "terrifying".  Got depressed on the word "if".

Yeah, when was the last time you heard the word "terrifying" associated with our team in any way?
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 02:49 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Yeah, when was the last time you heard the word "terrifying" associated with our team in any way?

When AB goes across the middle and looks up and sees Burfict
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 03:25 PM)Gohards Wrote: When AB goes across the middle and looks up and sees Burfict

Good point.
Reply/Quote
I can understand why they would rank us there and mostly agree with his assessment. However if the new O-line pans out I fully believe the sky is the limit.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, at this point i cannot argue with it even if it is ESPN who i usually argue with.

Eifert and Ross would have to stay healthy for it to be tops. But IF is the word, if Eifert can stay healthy and Ross can
become that player that i think he can be we would be tops. Like tops in the NFL with a healthy AJ Green, Tyler Eifert,
John Ross, Tyler Boyd and say one of Josh Malone or Auden Tate really steppin up.

The RB's no question could be one of the best duos in the NFL with a good O-line in front of them.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, at this point i cannot argue with it even if it is ESPN who i usually argue with.

Eifert and Ross would have to stay healthy for it to be tops. But IF is the word, if Eifert can stay healthy and Ross can
become that player that i think he can be we would be tops. Like tops in the NFL with a healthy AJ Green, Tyler Eifert,
John Ross, Tyler Boyd and say one of Josh Malone or Auden Tate really steppin up.

The RB's no question could be one of the best duos in the NFL with a good O-line in front of them.

You're making me drool again Nate!   :drool:
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 04:03 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: You're making me drool again Nate!   :drool:

Hopefully this is the year it comes together, haven't had a good Center since Rich Braham. Billy Price just might of been
the best Center in the Draft, definately the best run blocking Center. Health really is key as Bengalguy71 and i were talkin
about in the reasons to believe in the Bengals thread and it all starts with the O-line.

Eifert when healthy is the best route running TE in the NFL, better then Gronk who rounds off his routes a lot.

John Ross's game in college reminds me of a faster Antonio Brown.

Josh Malone has speed and size.

Auden Tate could be a Red Zone nightmare for Defenses with his catch radius.

We all know about AJ Green.

Mixon and Gio are both great at catching the ball, something we haven't had in both our RB's in forever.
Reply/Quote
Not bad for the team that was dead last in offense last year.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 02:49 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Yeah, when was the last time you heard the word "terrifying" associated with our team in any way?

QB - Palmer
WR - Johnson
WR - Whosyourmomma
WR - Henry
RB - Johnson
FB - I don't remember the name but think it was Johnson
TE - I can't remember his name either

That 2005 Offense was really good...I would say terrifying.
Reply/Quote
I'm not surprised with this ranking. AJ is elite, Dalton and Bernard are solid. All are relatively consistent year-to-year. There are obvious concerns with Eifert's health, LaFell ascending to that good WR2 level player, and the young guys (Ross, Mixon, Boyd) actually showing quality production more than just one year. I would say the "potential" for this offense is top 10 ceiling but bottom 10 floor (as evidenced last year).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 05:15 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: QB - Palmer
WR - Johnson
WR - Whosyourmomma
WR - Henry
RB - Johnson

Jeremi Johnson and Reggie Kelly.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 04:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hopefully this is the year it comes together, haven't had a good Center since Rich Braham. Billy Price just might of been
the best Center in the Draft, definately the best run blocking Center. Health really is key as Bengalguy71 and i were talkin
about in the reasons to believe in the Bengals thread and it all starts with the O-line.

Eifert when healthy is the best route running TE in the NFL, better then Gronk who rounds off his routes a lot.

Mixon and Gio are both great at catching the ball, something we haven't had in both our RB's in forever.
sounds like 12-4
& the AFC North title....
????
Reply/Quote
The weapons are certainly adequate enough if Pollack can get OL turned around.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Seeing any defensive end line up against Cedric Ogbuehi on a passing down. 
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, at this point i cannot argue with it even if it is ESPN who i usually argue with.

Nailed it.  I try to look at things from a worst-case scenario and see how the team could still perform.  If Ross doesn't perform, or doesn't get the opportunity, I still see the likes of Malone, Core, Boyd, and maybe even Tate being "chain movers" along with our TEs (including Hewitt) having a much better opportunity with the newfound offensive line and rushing attack.  While I really wanted that fourth rounder spent on a LB, I think the competition at RB, plus Pollack, plus Price, Plus Glenn, Plus Redmond/Westerman equals an offense that can do so many more things than a year ago.

That, and I really liked what I saw from Lazor playing with all the same deficiencies of Zampese, he brought some life to a stagnant offense.  And by the end of the season, we saw 100 yard rushing games from both Mixon and Gio.  I also think Dalton will have a boulder-sized chip on his shoulder.  
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 04:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hopefully this is the year it comes together, haven't had a good Center since Rich Braham. Billy Price just might of been

I was listening to the NFL Network while mowing and they had Rasul Douglas (one of their CBs) and he was talking about how they have almost everyone back.  I have said that before about the Bengals, only to have them fall flat on their face.

If you stand still, you get passed.

The Bengals brought in Glenn.
They got Westerman and Redmond some much-needed game experience. 
They drafted Billy Price.
They brought in Frank Pollack.
They gave Lazor the OC position and he had an entire offseason to work in his system.
They have Ross healthy.
They could have Eifert healthy.
The brought in competition at RB for Mixon and Gio. 
They have Hewitt healthy.
They lost NO KEY TALENT on the offensive side of the ball.

That is just on offense.  I see great potential and I feel like by mid-season, this team will really be putting up some points.  
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 05:15 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: QB - Palmer
WR - Johnson
WR - Whosyourmomma
WR - Henry
RB - Johnson

And they didn't have all those weapons together except for a few games.  I remember them absolutely destroying the Bears (one of my fav game memories) with a lot of Bear fans in attendance.  That team had talent, but depth was paper thin. 
Reply/Quote