Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barry Larkin joins TV broadcast team
He will be an analyst rotating with Welsh and Brantley.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/reds-legend-joins-fox-sports-ohio-broadcast-team/GMDMYZXSB5H5FL3V5RDZVC5VE4/?fbclid=IwAR1b3q89-62rCLl8-qND77muzo6oROaEVMNNYbLjZQ21t0OJ_ExmFxaaPVA
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
At least there shouldn't be any more STRAIGHT UP IN THE AIR calls from everyone's favorite bigot.. 
I'm looking forward to it and even Sedak on TV. He might work out even though he's a New Yorker, but so was ol Waite Hoyte..one of the all time great story tellers in Reds history.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't like this at all. Work him in? Fine. But this from Reds.com is BS.
Quote:The plan is for Larkin to work all 81 home games. He has also been in conversations with Reds CEO Bob Castellini and COO Phil Castellini about taking part in organizational initiatives in Cincinnati.

Sadak, who was introduced as the play-by-play voice to replace Thom Brennaman on Feb. 4, is thrilled about the addition of Larkin.

“This is a 'pinch me' moment that I don’t think you can top,” Sadak said. “It was hard to top the idea of calling Major League games. Then you add in a living legend, and you can pick his brain. You can watch the game alongside him. You can learn through him. It’s just incredible. He will instantly become the most decorated and accomplished person that I’ve had a chance to work with on a regular basis. I can’t wait to get to know him as a person and to be able to have fun with him calling games.”

I've had MLBTV for years. I've watched every team's announcing crew and Chris Welsh is the best analyst that I've seen so far. I've said here before, Chris Welsh teaches you aspects of the game as if you've been watching baseball for years and Tim McCarver taught you the game as if you were a 5 year old watching your first ever baseball game.

I really do hope that Larkin is great because force feeding his analysis to us half of the time looks like a power move. Sticking Welsh and Brantley to strictly road duty seems very disrespectful. He should be eased in, not given half of the games right from the start. I'd expect Welsh to be broadcasting for another team next year. This reeks of the incompetent Ray Knight replacing the great Davey Johnson.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Look forward to the Reds broadcast this year. Larkin seems to know the game and should do fine. I give people a chance until they mess it up. No Thom will be a change.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I'm probably being a bit harsh, and I hope I'm wrong, but being great at two things is difficult. Welsh was not a great player but he's an awesome analyst.

I've been in radio off and on for 30 years . . . David Lee Roth replacing Howard Stern(who I am not a fan of) was awesome on day one. But he gave up all of the great stories on day one. Day two was OK and after that he was a babbling idiot. It's very difficult to be entertaining five days a week for over half of a year.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 04:47 PM)cinci4life Wrote: He will be an analyst rotating with Welsh and Brantley.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/reds-legend-joins-fox-sports-ohio-broadcast-team/GMDMYZXSB5H5FL3V5RDZVC5VE4/?fbclid=IwAR1b3q89-62rCLl8-qND77muzo6oROaEVMNNYbLjZQ21t0OJ_ExmFxaaPVA

The Reds announcers need something. They are most boring announcers in baseball. Bench and Morgan helped in the past, so should Barry Larkin.  He has a great sense of humor and loves the game.  I HOPE on other announcers all into angle and rate of speed of a home run, I hope Barry tells them, So What, a home run is a home run.  Somebody needs to.  I watch other teams, other announcers. Cincinnati announcers talk the most boring sh#t.   Dullsville Daddy. Like real Square. ...Barry should help an awful broadcast crew. 

I look for Barry to be like Joe Morgan and move on to bigger broadcast jobs, unless they fire Bell and make Barry manager, and that would be OK also. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Listening to a Reds broadcast the past several years has been harder than listening for paint to dry...just hear those fumes and/or water evaporating!  Man! Could anything be more exciting? ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sadak seemed pretty good. Strange that this is his first ever visit to Spring Training, but he's a good broadcaster, albeit a bit bland. He'll do well for Fox Sports Ohio.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote