Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Barstool Sports LOVES Skyline Chili!
Mods, feel free to move this and I apologize for the hassle, but, seeing as how it's coming from Barstool and Skyline is the new official chili in the stadium, I figured it fits, especially when you the line that ends in "Coincidence?"

This guy from Barstool Sports was in town, tried a 3-way, and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!

He mentions how he's in town for some Red Bull Flugtag video and that it sounds gross but he figured he should try it out since people rave about it.

Quote:And I'll admit it .......... I was wrong. You can watch my full review above, but the gist is that Skyline chili is actually good. It makes no sense. It sounds disgusting. It looks disgusting. Nothing about it should be appetizing. But it somehow defies the laws of science of logic. I kept waiting for it to turn bad but it just never did. Hell, it was even good. I expected to have a few bites and spit it out, but I ended up eating most of the plate. I thought it was maybe a citywide prank tricking the rest of the nation. But it turns out that's not the case. Now I will say that it's not the best thing I've ever eaten. Regular chili is better. Regular pasta is better. If I never eat Skyline chili again, I will certainly survive. But if I'm in Cincinnati again, I would definitely try and make a stop to eat it. Skyline chili is just somehow good no matter how gross you think it should be.

I never thought about it but I'll admit it does look disgusting (the deluxe burritos and even chilitos look a lot worse), but it's just amazing.

Even coneys don't look that good but they're flat-out amazing. I only get medium cheese on top, which the cheese is amazing, but I feel like too much of it takes away from the actual chili and hot dog.

Don't get me wrong because it needs cheese, but I always order medium cheese.

He also talks about goetta:
Quote:And I think that might be the theme for Cincinnati. Taking gross sounding food and somehow making it good. Another local delicacy I tried there was called goetta. It's a breakfast meat that is described as "a meat-and-grain sausage or mush." That sounds downright disgusting. But once again, I was surprised and delighted.

I've never been a big fan of goetta, and it's not that I don't like it, but I've just (surprisingly) never even had the opportunity to eat much of it.

Anyways, if you come to any games this year, make sure you get some Skyline because it's INCREDIBLE!

We switch to Skyline and then win the organization's first ever Super Bowl.......... Coincidence?

I think you know the answer to that.............

Here's the rest of the article and there's a YouTube clip in there that I can't get to post but, if a mod can add it or someone can post it in a reply, I'd appreciate it!

Quote:If you're ever in Cincinnati, I would recommend giving both a try. You will expect both to taste bad. The plate will plop down in front of you will think "Surely there's no chance this is good." But you will be pleasantly surprised. There's a reason they take this stuff so seriously. And my God do they take it seriously. I got an astounding amount of replies saying I ate it wrong and that I should have cut it with a knife or something. But as a true Italian I don't cut spaghetti. I don't know why it appears like I didn't chew at all in the video though. Appeared like I just inhaled it whole. That was odd. I do see why the food review content industry is so big though. The engagement I got on these videos shocked me. People just love watching others eat food I guess. 
Reply/Quote
I don’t know why it’s supposed to be gross. We put all types of sauces on pasta and it’s very much like a sauce.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2023, 11:10 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t know why it’s supposed to be gross. We put all types of sauces on pasta and it’s very much like a sauce.

I never understood it either but maybe it's just because I've been eating it all of my life.

My brother lives in Charlotte and he says people down there think it sounds gross but he gave his neighbor some and he loved it.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2023, 10:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've never been a big fan of goetta, and it's not that I don't like it, but I've just (surprisingly) never even had the opportunity to eat much of it.

Dude you live in NKY they literally have a “Goetta Fest” in Newport every year…

As far as out-of-towners trying 3-Ways for the first time goes the funniest part is always that they don’t know to cut it with their fork instead of trying to twirl or scoop it. Cincy style chili really should come with instructions for people that don’t know what they’re doing. LOL

Reply/Quote
The thing that trips people up is thinking of it as 'chili' when it is more like a Greek meat sauce. People think of the traditional chili with the bold flavors and assume its gonna be too much.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2023, 12:47 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dude you live in NKY they literally have a “Goetta Fest” in Newport every year…

As far as out-of-towners trying 3-Ways for the first time goes the funniest part is always that they don’t know to cut it with their fork instead of trying to twirl or scoop it. Cincy style chili really should come with instructions for people that don’t know what they’re doing. LOL

lol.......... I know but none of my family or close friends go to that and I just don't go to breakfast places around here too often that have it.

Besides, Newport's on the east side of Northern Kentucky and you know we're hardcore over here on the West Side!

[Image: my-aunt-2pac-tupac.jpg]

I was never into it much pre-tree and then my family has just never been that into it.
Reply/Quote
I like Gold Star better than Skyline. Skyline puts too much spices in their sauce. I had 2 conies tonight in the kitchen here at the retirement home. They weren't that good. They serve goetta on Sundays which is just okay.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Is there a follow-up article about the bubble-guts and French Horn-sharts he got the day after?
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2023, 02:21 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I like Gold Star better than Skyline. Skyline puts too much spices in their sauce. I had 2 conies tonight in the kitchen here at the retirement home. They weren't that good. They serve goetta on Sundays which is just okay.

BanBanBan
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2023, 10:20 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Is there a follow-up article about the bubble-guts and French Horn-sharts he got the day after?

thats white castle after a night of drinking.
Reply/Quote