Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Based on their Pre-Season Game 1 Performance
which of our 2018 draft picks and UDFAs make the final 53?

I know it's only 1 game, but . . .

I'm only seeing

Price
Bates
Hubbard
Harris
Tate

(Taylor will be on IR)

Henderson
Jr Joseph or Worley

Malik Jefferson showed little to nothing, except for that egregious holding penalty.
Phillips was terrible in coverage.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I kind of liked Phillips for Kick Returns though, if we're going with snap judgments. Also I'm hoping we have room to keep Keivarae Russell.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 03:45 AM)Shady Wrote: which of our 2018 draft picks and UDFAs make the final 53?

(Taylor will be on

He is already on IR

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Seriously. You honestly think we would cut our 3rd round pick, Malik Jefferson, after his first outing? What team cuts a 3rd round selection in a position of need? Come on...
Reply/Quote
Jefferson's 1st NFL game. Give him some time.....
Reply/Quote
Still need to see more of Mark Walton, 4th round rb we took. Even though they cut a 5th round kicker last year, I find it hard for them to cut a 4th round rb, even if Carson and Hill looked decent.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I need to watch the second half again as I was distracted by a bottle of Jamison, but I think the top 4 draft picks played pretty well.
I do have to remind myself they did play the Bears though, lets see them vs. some better competition.
No botched snaps by Price, and thought he already looks better then Bodine ever could, which isnt hard. Looked like he was taking control of the middle of the line. I was impressed.Bates looked good to me and seemed to have a good nose for the ball. I saw Hubbard almost have that big tackle for loss, liked what I saw otherwise. I thought Jefferson looked pretty good in coverage and adds a big body with speed. Tate also looked very solid, and had a nice TD grab.However I was most impressed with Josh Malone last night, I think he looked very solid.
Reply/Quote
You are touching a soft spot right now for me. there were so many different directions to Bengals could have gone instead of Jefferson and the 2/5 round cornerbacks.

I think Harris and Henderson looked good and I think Josh Shaw looked good.

I am hoping and praying that Westerman can play Right Guard because if not it hurts the entire right side of the line.

Plus there is no depth at guard it seems. I have a sneaky suspicion that flowers is going to make the team albeit at practice squad.

I just hope to God that Barkley is released this week.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Very first pro game for all the rookies so it's tough to hold the jitters against them all even if it was preseason against scrubs from another team. That's why they put it on film to go over it all to teach better techniques and so on. They all played a very vanilla scheme so they really didn't get to show everything they've learned or didn't learn. The next game may play out entirely different with guys who didn't show much really shine and the other way around, guys who shined yesterday may look horrible next time. Heck ,many probably only played a snap or two so they really didn't get the opportunity to  really show up and pity the poor defender who never got the ball sent anywhere near them..  That's the way the ball bounces.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 08:27 AM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Seriously. You honestly think we would cut our 3rd round pick, Malik Jefferson, after his first outing? What team cuts a 3rd round selection in a position of need? Come on...

The Chiefs cut their 3rd Round Pick (K Russel) early a couple of years back (Week 2 or 3 of the regular season), thats when we scooped him up.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 08:27 AM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Seriously. You honestly think we would cut our 3rd round pick, Malik Jefferson, after his first outing? What team cuts a 3rd round selection in a position of need? Come on...

No i don't think and would not suggest that we SHOULD cut any of these guys who played like crap in Game 1. I only posted this to begin an evaluation of who looks worth keeping, and who doesn't.  It could, and probably will, change in pre-season weeks 2-4.  I'm pulling for all of these guys to get better, but based on Week 1's performance some of these don't look like they belong in the league. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 03:45 AM)Shady Wrote: which of our 2018 draft picks and UDFAs make the final 53?

I know it's only 1 game, but . . .

I'm only seeing

Price
Bates
Hubbard
Harris
Tate

(Taylor will be on IR)

Henderson
Jr Joseph or Worley

Malik Jefferson showed little to nothing, except for that egregious holding penalty.
Phillips was terrible in coverage.

Malik will make it, he just needs to learn, anyone that knew why he fell as far as he did knows that it was because
mentally he needs to get up to par. He needs to get his angles down. He has the size, speed, tackling, covering
ability that is extremely rare in a Linebacker.

Haven't heard he is bad in practice like Dawson which is what i was concerned with. If he is willing to learn, he has
the talent to be a Pro Bowl type Linebacker. My main question with him is his coach, Haslett. His learning curve might
be slower than i want with this guy coaching him.

Worley needs to really show up for even a chance of Malik not making the roster....

Phillips is a great Returner and if he can even show a glimmer at Corner i would give him a shot.

Problem for Phillips is Brandon Wilson will make the team and is also a stud Returner.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 12:38 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: You are touching a soft spot right now for me.  there were so many different directions to Bengals could have gone instead of Jefferson and the 2/5 round cornerbacks.  

I think Harris and Henderson looked good and I think Josh Shaw looked good.

I am hoping and praying that Westerman can play Right Guard because if not it hurts the entire right side of the line.

Plus there is no depth at guard it seems.  I have a sneaky suspicion that flowers is going to make the team albeit at practice squad.

I just hope to God that Barkley is released this week.

Watching Jefferson's tape pre-draft, he didn't thrill me either. Maybe he can correct the mistakes. I hope so. He's got the physical traits we'd like to see, but I thought Junior Joseph looked more intriguing out there than any of the other rookie LBs. I don't remember seeing much from Worley. 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Malik will make it, he just needs to learn, anyone that knew why he fell as far as he did knows that it was because
mentally he needs to get up to par. He needs to get his angles down. He has the size, speed, tackling, covering
ability that is extremely rare in a Linebacker.

Haven't heard he is bad in practice like Dawson which is what i was concerned with. If he is willing to learn, he has
the talent to be a Pro Bowl type Linebacker. My main question with him is his coach, Haslett. His learning curve might
be slower than i want with this guy coaching him.

Worley needs to really show up for even a chance of Malik not making the roster....

Phillips is a great Returner and if he can even show a glimmer at Corner i would give him a shot.

Problem for Phillips is Brandon Wilson will make the team and is also a stud Returner.

Yep, see my reply to Psydoc. I'm not anti-Malik. He was slow to catch onto things at Texas. Maybe we're seeing the same thing here. He did make one really good stop – I think it was for a loss or at least no gain. 

Bates really impressed me with a couple of really strong tackles, one that stopped a TD. He put the runner on his back!  ThumbsUp

Price impressed, as did Hubbard. Sam was really disruptive, even if he didn't finish some of those plays where he got great penetration.

I hope we get to see Tate running with the first team some time this preseason. He looked unstoppable against the Bears' #2s and 3s. 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 01:54 PM)Shady Wrote: Yep, see my reply to Psydoc. I'm not anti-Malik. He was slow to catch onto things at Texas. Maybe we're seeing the same thing here. He did make one really good stop – I think it was for a loss or at least no gain. 

Bates really impressed me with a couple of really strong tackles, one that stopped a TD. He put the runner on his back!  ThumbsUp

Price impressed, as did Hubbard. Sam was really disruptive, even if he didn't finish some of those plays where he got great penetration.

I hope we get to see Tate running with the first team some time this preseason. He looked unstoppable against the Bears' #2s and 3s. 

Thanks Shady for some updates wish i could rewatch the game but i don't have DVR or NFL network.

Great news about Bates III, his only knock was his tackling, for him to be putting the runner on his back is great to
hear this early. Sounds like Darone Jones is doing a good job with him. Bates can be our next Reggie Nelson that
compliments Iloka so he can get back to what he used to be or better.

Price i knew once he got down the snaps was going to be a huge upgrade over Bodine. Great talent, could be the
best Center in the league with his strength, smarts and anchor.

Hubbard i was hearing a lot of hate on in the game day thread, overpursuing can be a problem, heck, even Dunlap
has had his problems with finishing. Having the penetration is where it starts though, MJ gets none.

Same with Tate, dude has too great of a catch radius and an obvious talent that cannot be taught in going up for
the ball with great hands. Looks faster out there too than what i thought. Get him snaps with the 1's. Along with
Ross, these two need snaps, i think Boyd is already on the same page with Dalton, lets get these two on the same
page with him. We could have one of the most dynamic TD scoring Red Zone packages in the league.

Ross is too fast, Tate is too big and well AJ Green is AJ Green.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 02:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks Shady for some updates wish i could rewatch the game but i don't have DVR or NFL network.

Great news about Bates III, his only knock was his tackling, for him to be putting the runner on his back is great to
hear this early. Sounds like Darone Jones is doing a good job with him. Bates can be our next Reggie Nelson that
compliments Iloka so he can get back to what he used to be or better.

Price i knew once he got down the snaps was going to be a huge upgrade over Bodine. Great talent, could be the
best Center in the league with his strength, smarts and anchor.

Hubbard i was hearing a lot of hate on in the game day thread, overpursuing can be a problem, heck, even Dunlap
has had his problems with finishing. Having the penetration is where it starts though, MJ gets none.

Same with Tate, dude has too great of a catch radius and an obvious talent that cannot be taught in going up for
the ball with great hands. Looks faster out there too than what i thought. Get him snaps with the 1's. Along with
Ross, these two need snaps, i think Boyd is already on the same page with Dalton, lets get these two on the same
page with him. We could have one of the most dynamic TD scoring Red Zone packages in the league.

Ross is too fast, Tate is too big and well AJ Green is AJ Green.

I am not giving up on Jefferson.  I am frustrated because of other directions the team could have drafted from rounds 3-5.  Really frustrated now.  What I am seeing in Jefferson is a tremendous athlete that cognitive processes broad information slowly.  He simply cannot rely on his athleticism at this level.  He has to dissect plays.  Jefferson is the antithesis of Burfict.  Burfict is not all that athletic in terms of 40 time, speed, but damn, he has a high football IQ.

He would be a good nickle safety to run at people.  In fact, put him in a box and tell him to destroy anything in that box.  He would be great as a Spy on the QB.  So when the Bengals play running QB, put Jefferson in there, let him track him only.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 09:50 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am not giving up on Jefferson.  I am frustrated because of other directions the team could have drafted from rounds 3-5.  Really frustrated now.  What I am seeing in Jefferson is a tremendous athlete that cognitive processes broad information slowly.  He simply cannot rely on his athleticism at this level.  He has to dissect plays.  Jefferson is the antithesis of Burfict.  Burfict is not all that athletic in terms of 40 time, speed, but damn, he has a high football IQ.

He would be a good nickle safety to run at people.  In fact, put him in a box and tell him to destroy anything in that box.  He would be great as a Spy on the QB.  So when the Bengals play running QB, put Jefferson in there, let him track him only.

I like it. Plus have him around Burfict all the time learning. I honestly have more faith in Burfict as a coach
than Haslett at this point. Our LB's need to be in the right position to begin with, i think he has been setting
them up to fail since he got here. Haslett that is.

Burfict takes it on himself, if Malik played more free and just let it happen he could be great.

Great way to use Malik BTW Psych until he gets it together. It will take time.

The pick i am questioning is the Walton pick with Brian Hill already here and Tra Carson. RB was not a need.

OT definately was.
Reply/Quote