Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bates #90 in top 100
we'll see where he ranks among all safeties...but pay the man

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 07:28 PM)pally Wrote: we'll see where he ranks among all safeties...but pay the man

3rd?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That's great but...

why hasn't anyone told me about Col. Joseph Lee Burrow????

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 08:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's great but...

why hasn't anyone told me about Col. Joseph Lee Burrow????

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Let’s hope he fares better than Captain Luck…

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Trey Hendrickson is #73 btw.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 07:47 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: 3rd?

with the first 50 players announced, Bates is the 4th ranked safety

52 Minkah Fitzpatric
58 Tyrann Mathieu
77 Quandre Diggs

Jamal Adams and Budda Baker are left to rank so at best he will rank as the 6th best

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 10:44 PM)pally Wrote: with the first 50 players announced, Bates is the 4th ranked safety

52 Minkah Fitzpatric
58 Tyrann Mathieu
77 Quandre Diggs

Jamal Adams and Budda Baker are left to rank so at best he ranks will rank as the 6th best

Guess he hasn’t done enough to prove he’s the best safety in the league… Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 09:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Trey Hendrickson is #73 btw.

I saw that! 2 Bengals in the top 100 is pretty good all things considered!
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 10:44 PM)pally Wrote: with the first 50 players announced, Bates is the 4th ranked safety

52 Minkah Fitzpatric
58 Tyrann Mathieu
77 Quandre Diggs

Jamal Adams and Budda Baker are left to rank so at best he ranks will rank as the 6th best

So with most assuming the Bengals are low balling him, how far off are they I wonder?
Reply/Quote
This is not a knock on Bates in any way shape or form, because we all love his play, but maybe he's listened to too many people around Cincinnati telling him he's the best. Seems on a national level that is not the common thought. (of course, this could be strictly due to market) But, this should give him and his agent something to ponder.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 10:00 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This is not a knock on Bates in any way shape or form, because we all love his play, but maybe he's listened to too many people around Cincinnati telling him he's the best. Seems on a national level that is not the common thought. (of course, this could be strictly due to market) But, this should give him and his agent something to ponder.

There are national outlets that have Bates as elite, like PFF and he was an AP 2nd team All Pro.  However, he is not universally seen as elite, which creates tough negotiations.  His camp will obviously argue that he's elite to drive the price up while the team is obviously going to take the stance that he's good but not elite.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 02:19 AM)sandwedge Wrote: So with most assuming the Bengals are low balling him, how far off are they I wonder?

Not sure if the Bengals are "lowballing".  Look at the number of players who become free agents every year from teams all over the league.  None of those teams were able to work out deals with players.  So is EVERY team across the league "lowballing" their players?

The bigger the contract the more negotiating that is required.  Many times the deal is hung up over the number of years or the amount guaranteed instead of just the salary offered.  Sometimes with older players they will take a contract with big numbers on the back end that neither side thinks will ever get paid.  Both players and agents like to point at the big amount of the total contract even if they don't think they will collect it all.  But Bates is so young that he should still be in his prime at the end of this deal.

And finally, the Bengals could come out way ahead by keeping Bates this year for less than $3 million and making him the highest paid safety in the league next year.  Bates, like every NFL player, wants a raise before his contract is up.  It is a big value to him to get big guaranteed money now and not risk getting injured this year.  So if he wants that security he will have to give something back.

I still think it will get done if Bates really wants to be hear.  I know he has said in public that he wants to stay, but that is what 99% of players say when they are trying to get an extension.  Many times they "change their mind" Wink when they actually hit free agency.
Reply/Quote
He deserves it. Congrats to both Bates and Hendrickson. Pay the man as Pally said.
Reply/Quote
Pay him, yes... but don't overpay him. That's the game being played.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 03:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Pay him, yes... but don't overpay him. That's the game being played.

15 mil per year for 4 years should be good with everybody.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 03:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: 15 mil per year for 4 years should be good with everybody.

I would think that's pretty close to where they'll land.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure if the Bengals are "lowballing".  Look at the number of players who become free agents every year from teams all over the league.  None of those teams were able to work out deals with players.  So is EVERY team across the league "lowballing" their players?

The bigger the contract the more negotiating that is required.  Many times the deal is hung up over the number of years or the amount guaranteed instead of just the salary offered.  Sometimes with older players they will take a contract with big numbers on the back end that neither side thinks will ever get paid.  Both players and agents like to point at the big amount of the total contract even if they don't think they will collect it all.  But Bates is so young that he should still be in his prime at the end of this deal.

And finally, the Bengals could come out way ahead by keeping Bates this year for less than $3 million and making him the highest paid safety in the league next year.  Bates, like every NFL player, wants a raise before his contract is up.  It is a big value to him to get big guaranteed money now and not risk getting injured this year.  So if he wants that security he will have to give something back.

I still think it will get done if Bates really wants to be hear.  I know he has said in public that he wants to stay, but that is what 99% of players say when they are trying to get an extension.  Many times they "change their mind" Wink when they actually hit free agency.

Well said.  Sometimes players will leak something out during negotiations to put pressure on the team by the fanbase etc.   It's a poker match much of the time.  
Reply/Quote