Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bates Being Traded To The Eagles?
Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong forum because technically Bates isn't on our team and I know there's the franchise tag thread, but he hasn't signed the tag and this would benefit our team, so I figured it should go here.

BleedingGreenNation has an article about the Eagles trading for Bates, with the thoughts of trading us a first-or-second-round pick next year, as well as a versatile starting guard in Isaac Seumalo.

Even though the Eagles have two first-round picks in 2023, it would likely be a second-round pick, which I would still do in a heartbeat because Bates half-assed the regular season last year, so who knows how well he'd play this year, and Seumalo has experience everywhere besides for left guard, and he was a hell of a center his freshman and sophomore years, which is our biggest weakness on the offensive line.

Here's most of what the article says:
Quote:Would a second-round pick and, saaayyyy, a versatile starting guard in Isaac Seumalo appease Cincinnati? I think that’s a deal the Eagles would do. They likely would not part with either of their 2023 first-round picks, which are clearly earmarked for quarterback insurance in case Jalen Hurts doesn’t make substantial improvements in 2022. As for the money, Marcus Williams is a player whose game is similar to Bates’, so his five-year, $70 million deal with the Ravens feels like the floor. Because Bates is already pretty much guaranteed just under $13 million on the franchise tag, the Eagles would have to beat that. A new deal worth an average annual value of around $15 million would feel about right. And again, I would expect any new deal to have a low 2022 cap number. So in summary, to answer the question in the headline, yeah, the Eagles should have interest in trading for Jessie Bates.

Make the call to get the ball rolling!
Reply/Quote
Article looks like wishful thinking. I'd wait until the local guys start talking.

I think a tag and trade makes more sense next offseason.
Reply/Quote
I don't want to depend on a rookie starting at safety.

We need to concentrate on winning now. Why make the team worse this year to help in the future? Things can change quickly in the NFL There is no guarantee we will be a championship contender down the road.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 07:04 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Article looks like wishful thinking. I'd wait until the local guys start talking.

It has nothing to do with anyone from the Bengals or Eagles.  It is just some media guy sugesting it.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 07:04 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Article looks like wishful thinking. I'd wait until the local guys start talking.

And let him potentially half-ass the regular season again with a lot on the line?

A rookie safety would probably be more valuable in the regular season than Bates half-assing it, especially with a stacked d-line rotation like we should have.

Wishful thinking but it makes a lot of sense and you know Taylor and our front office would at least consider it. I know they don't base their moves on the media's opinions but they have to at least see some of these and it has to get them thinking.
Reply/Quote
I want Bates here. I want the best secondary in the pass happy NFL.
Reply/Quote
First off the OP is 100% conjecture.

WTS: Seumalo wouldn't "sweeten the deal"; I'd make it worse. The dude's a backup IOL that carries a $7.8 MIL Cap.

IMO the 2nd rounder and the $13 MIL cap savings would be enough.

Sign Landon Collins for about $5 Mil, bring in Spain or Flowers for about $3 Mil, and use the other $5 Mil to bring in a pure Edge rusher {Tak, Houston...). We're now a better team and have a extra second rounder
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 07:40 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I want Bates here.

I want the best secondary in the pass happy NFL.

Make up your mind. 

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 07:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: First off the OP is 100% conjecture.

WTS: Seumalo wouldn't "sweeten the deal"; I'd make it worse. The dude's a backup IOL that carries a $7.8 MIL Cap.

Sign Landon Collins for about $5 Mil, bring in Spain or Flowers for about $3 Mil, and use the other $5 Mil to bring in a pure Edge rusher {Tak, Houston...). We're now a better team and have a extra second rounder

And then we can trade our Rd. 1 - 32 pick and the 2nd Rd. pick and move up to #24 or something and take a stud TE. And then still have our Rd. 2 - 32 pick.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 07:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: WTS: Seumalo wouldn't "sweeten the deal"; I'd make it worse. The dude's a backup IOL that carries a $7.8 MIL Cap.

I think he's VERY underrated and could be big for us.

He might be willing to restructure or just sign a new deal 
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 08:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think he's VERY underrated and could be big for us.

When was the last time the Bengals restructured a contract? I can't remember.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 08:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think he's VERY underrated and could be big for us.

You can think he's VERY underrated all you want but dude has played 12 games out of a possible 35 the last 2 years because of knee and foot injuries. He cost $7.8 MIL with over $5 MIL in dead money. It's more than Karras costs and slightly less than Cappa 

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 07:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Make up your mind. 

Awuzie, Bates, Bell, Hilton, Apple, Hill, CTB, Flowers, Wilson, Anderson

I have. That's a strong 10. It's not the same without Bates.
Reply/Quote

Is Landon Collins still any good?

Can he play FS?

I'm not the biggest Bates fan in the world, but I didn't think there were any reasonable replacements still available in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 08:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Is Landon Collins still any good?

Can he play FS?

I'm not the biggest Bates fan in the world, but I didn't think there were any reasonable replacements still available in free agency.

Collins is more of a SS than FS.
Not great in coverage.
But he played under Anarumo and is a physical dude who can make tackles.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It would be nice. I want Bates outta here before the season starts. It's already causing Friction... Dax Hill is faster and not afraid of contact..
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 09:27 PM)Tony Wrote: It would be nice. I want Bates outta here before the season starts. It's already causing Friction... Dax Hill is faster and not afraid of contact..

And totally unproven at the NFL level where as Bates is.   I'm not saying Dax is going to be bad but as of right now Bates has proved himself playing at an NFL level.  Yeah he had a slow start last year much of which may have been mental according to him.  But down the stretch and during the playoffs he stepped up.   I'd rather keep the guy that has shown he can play at a high level than gamble on a rookie being his day one replacement.  So with that said I hope Bates signs his tag and plays and see what Dax can do without all the pressure of replacing Bates on day one.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 08:22 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Awuzie, Bates, Bell, Hilton, Apple, Hill, CTB, Flowers, Wilson, Anderson

I have. That's a strong 10. It's not the same without Bates.

Its not the same without Bates as long as he doesnt let the tag/contract crap get in his head like he did last year. If he isnt going to give 100 here, then he should be somewhere that he will. It doesnt look good on the long term contract front. Its been well over a year and no deal done and no reports of it being close, but instead Bates maybe holding out of camp. Cya is all I can think about that
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 10:13 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Its not the same without Bates as long as he doesnt let the tag/contract crap get in his head like he did last year. If he isnt going to give 100 here, then he should be somewhere that he will. It doesnt look good on the long term contract front. Its been well over a year and no deal done and no reports of it being close, but instead Bates maybe holding out of camp. Cya is all I can think about that

Agreed... I am super concerned about his attitude and if it carries over to him missing games. 

I'm only good with a deal if we get an impact player back... you gotta compete for a SB this year can't go backwards. 
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote

Some good takes in the thread, this is more theoretical than them actually doing it.  It would be nice to get ahead of the situation but maybe not realistic.  The league sees the same up and down Jessie, so giving up a high pick in order to pay him to 5 money is more of a pressure draft move. 

I would have liked to have signed Bradberry long term, starting Hill and Taylor-Britt easing into a hybrid role or on some TE's.  I get the scenio of re-routing assets but there are a lot of moving parts.  Collins isn't the CF type needed, and the stopgap FA safeties are rough.  Better to trade a late pick for a stopgap FS and use the high pick in a deal for the best value at another position.  The tag is low for TE's, so I'd look at tagged TE's or more likely a good one on an expiring deal that will likely need tagged.  Then you still have a little left to get your vet OL and pass rusher. 
Reply/Quote