Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bates admits to being in a bad head space
(11-15-2021, 06:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There's no guarantee the Bengals franchise tag Bates.
They've never paid a safety $8+ mill a year.

Also, Bates has "only" accumulated $6.8 mill in his career. While that sounds like a lot, we don't know how much he's already spent and we don't know his investments, so we don't know if he'd have enough to comfortably live on for the rest of his life.

Ok, then he goes into FA and gets paid massive money if they don't franchise tag Bates (if he hadn't sucked so far this year). Again, he is getting paid either way so long as he just performs.

They haven't had a good safety who needed a contract since 2012. That's how long ago Reggie Nelson's deal was, and even then Nelson was coming off 1 good year after like 3 rough ones prior and was heading into his age 29 season. The Bengals also haven't paid a QB more than $16m/yr, too. I don't think Burrow is worried that he won't get paid if he performs. Seems strange to point out they haven't paid a position when they haven't had anyone they needed to pay at that position for quite some time, and the cap has increased by 50% (it'll be much more than 50% next year) since then. If they had multiple good safeties in their prime they let walk rather than pay, this $8m+ statement might actually mean something.

If Bates has blown $6.8m to the point that he's so tight on money that it's affecting his play this much, that's also not a good excuse. That'd be a huge red flag. 

Career ending injuries are very very rare. Alex Smith was in his mid-30s, had 17 surgeries, nearly died, and still came back. It's pretty damn rare to have a sudden career ending injury. He has a higher likelihood as an NFL player to kill someone and go to jail than to suffer a sudden career ending injury. So even if he somehow blew out his knee this season, he'd still be able to come back and earn a couple million in 2022 with the chance of a 10s of millions contract in 2023.

- - - - - - -
No matter how you try to slice it, it's a bad look for a Team Captain to be performing poorly for 9 games because his head isn't in the game during a season where the team is trying to break a 5 season losing streak. Doubly so when the guy wants to be paid as one of the best.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 06:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If he was mad because he felt like the Bengals did not give him enough credit you would think that would put a chip on his shoulder and make him play BETTER

Typically that is what you hear happening in "contract years". 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 05:03 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Hmm maybe not worth paying the guy, he’s a bit of a diva and hasn’t lived up to his status this year.

Nah, they really need to pay him, but cmon Jessie why even put this out there.

I'm guessing the not getting paid is part of it. I know he'll get paid by someone if he has a good year but they are still human. So if you put all the work in and have the results on the field and don't get paid it can be deflating.
Reply/Quote
I think sometimes we tend to forget just how young these players are. Kudos for him for looking at himself and the mirror and being honest with himself, the team and the fans. Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 05:03 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Hmm maybe not worth paying the guy, he’s a bit of a diva and hasn’t lived up to his status this year.

Nah, they really need to pay him, but cmon Jessie why even put this out there.

If anything, it's honest. He's been butthurt because no extension has been agreed upon. I would chalk that up to the normal person who didn't receive a raise they had hoped for so they feel unappreciated. Yet, now his play has been less than his worth and he knows he has to set that right. That's the way I take it anyway.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 07:36 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm guessing the not getting paid is part of it. I know he'll get paid by someone if he has a good year but they are still human. So if you put all the work in and have the results on the field and don't get paid it can be deflating.

Good point. Yet, one could fear he goes back to mediocre once he gets paid. I mean, I know they all play for the money but some also play for the love of the game. Which one does his statement think applies? Gets me thinking.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 06:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ok, then he goes into FA and gets paid massive money if they don't franchise tag Bates (if he hadn't sucked so far this year). Again, he is getting paid either way so long as he just performs.

They haven't had a good safety who needed a contract since 2012. That's how long ago Reggie Nelson's deal was, and even then Nelson was coming off 1 good year after like 3 rough ones prior and was heading into his age 29 season. The Bengals also haven't paid a QB more than $16m/yr, too. I don't think Burrow is worried that he won't get paid if he performs. Seems strange to point out they haven't paid a position when they haven't had anyone they needed to pay at that position for quite some time, and the cap has increased by 50% (it'll be much more than 50% next year) since then. If they had multiple good safeties in their prime they let walk rather than pay, this $8m+ statement might actually mean something.

If Bates has blown $6.8m to the point that he's so tight on money that it's affecting his play this much, that's also not a good excuse. That'd be a huge red flag. 

Career ending injuries are very very rare. Alex Smith was in his mid-30s, had 17 surgeries, nearly died, and still came back. It's pretty damn rare to have a sudden career ending injury. He has a higher likelihood as an NFL player to kill someone and go to jail than to suffer a sudden career ending injury. So even if he somehow blew out his knee this season, he'd still be able to come back and earn a couple million in 2022 with the chance of a 10s of millions contract in 2023.

- - - - - - -
No matter how you try to slice it, it's a bad look for a Team Captain to be performing poorly for 9 games because his head isn't in the game during a season where the team is trying to break a 5 season losing streak. Doubly so when the guy wants to be paid as one of the best.

I'm just saying it's not as much as it sounds when thinking about how long that would have to stretch if he were to not work again or invest it.

When I think of "live comfortably," I think of not ever having to work again if I didn't want to and not worrying about additional investment money coming in, all while doing the things I'd like to do and own.

If Bates never plays another down, he'd need his remaining money to cover the remaining 40+ years of his life.
If someone has an annual salary of $150k at the age of 25, they'll make $6 mill by the time they hit 65.

Depending on the person's definition of "living comfortably," making $150k might not be that comfortable if they want to have a nicer house, live in a more expensive city, go out to eat often, travel, etc.

For example, the median home price around Nashville, according to Zillow, is $368,567.
You're easily spending $450k+ for a nicer home.
If you wanted to live somewhere like Austin, TX, the median home cost is $550k.
The typical home value in LA is $913k.

On top of that, the $6.8 mill he's made in his 4 years was much higher taxed than if he had made $6.8 mill up the age of 65, so he actually would make less after taxes than someone who made the same money pre-tax across the span of 40 years.

Then you also have to account for inflation over the next 40 years, and that $6.8 mill could empty quicker than you'd think.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 07:36 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm guessing the not getting paid is part of it. I know he'll get paid by someone if he has a good year but they are still human. So if you put all the work in and have the results on the field and don't get paid it can be deflating.

Yep. And even good NFL players don't always play 10 years in the league.
On top of that, very very few players get an opportunity to have a decent-paying career after the NFL, so it makes sense to try to make as much as you can ASAP.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Bad head space? Get him out of here. Too many "head space" Bengals in the past that were worthless.
Reply/Quote
hope they dont pay Bates. That money should be spent elsewhere
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 08:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm just saying it's not as much as it sounds when thinking about how long that would have to stretch if he were to not work again or invest it.

When I think of "live comfortably," I think of not ever having to work again if I didn't want to and not worrying about additional investment money coming in, all while doing the things I'd like to do and own.

If Bates never plays another down, he'd need his remaining money to cover the remaining 40+ years of his life.
If someone has an annual salary of $150k at the age of 25, they'll make $6 mill by the time they hit 65.

Depending on the person's definition of "living comfortably," making $150k might not be that comfortable if they want to have a nicer house, live in a more expensive city, go out to eat often, travel, etc.

For example, the median home price around Nashville, according to Zillow, is $368,567.
You're easily spending $450k+ for a nicer home.
If you wanted to live somewhere like Austin, TX, the median home cost is $550k.
The typical home value in LA is $913k.

On top of that, the $6.8 mill he's made in his 4 years was much higher taxed than if he had made $6.8 mill up the age of 65, so he actually would make less after taxes than someone who made the same money pre-tax across the span of 40 years.

Then you also have to account for inflation over the next 40 years, and that $6.8 mill could empty quicker than you'd think.

You're honestly trying to spin $6.8m as not much money? Child please.

You're also acting like the NFL is his ONLY source of income right now as if zero endorsement or appearance money has been made at all. 

Not to mention that all of your nonsensical numbers is based off the fact that he just stuffs the money into a mattress rather than even safe investments.

On top of all of that, he has already qualified for an NFL pension because that only takes 3 credited years in the NFL to qualify for. So once he's 55 he'll be getting yearly checks from that as well.

He only has $6.8m, plus endorsement money, plus a pension, and in this theroetical situation where he can play 0 more games suddenly and it keeps him from being capable of working he would have access to NFL disability of up to an extra $135k/yr. How could he possibly ever survive? Poor him.

Mellow

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I have a sneaking suspicion the Bengals will NOT extend Jessie Bates. Why not? He’s considered one of “Marvin’s guys” from the old regime.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 05:16 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I agree Pally, but cmon. You make alot of $$$$$
And your set for life. Your team is relevant
Again in the NFL. What could possibly be going 
Not right for him. These pro athletes kill me 
At times. Some of them need to go to a homeless 
Shelter or the hospitals that have cancer patients
Hanging on for dear life. A dose of reality for them

[Image: quote-we-might-make-a-lot-of-money-but-w...-15-66.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

He had a good rookie year.  He had a mediocre sophomore year.  He had an elite third year.  He wants to be paid like an elite player, but elite play has been the anomaly, not the norm for him.  If he wanted his contract torn up with a year left, he should have put all the work in and gotten the results on the field in years one and two.  
Reply/Quote
I see better than I hear Jesse Bates..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 09:40 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I have a sneaking suspicion the Bengals will NOT extend Jessie Bates. Why not? He’s considered one of “Marvin’s guys” from the old regime.

Hubbard
Boyd
Wilson
Hopkins

All Marvin guys who were extended to a second contract.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
If a guy can't focus on his job in a contract year, that's a red flag for me.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 09:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You're honestly trying to spin $6.8m as not much money? Child please.

You're also acting like the NFL is his ONLY source of income right now as if zero endorsement or appearance money has been made at all. 

Not to mention that all of your nonsensical numbers is based off the fact that he just stuffs the money into a mattress rather than even safe investments.

On top of all of that, he has already qualified for an NFL pension because that only takes 3 credited years in the NFL to qualify for. So once he's 55 he'll be getting yearly checks from that as well.

He only has $6.8m, plus endorsement money, plus a pension, and in this theroetical situation where he can play 0 more games suddenly and it keeps him from being capable of working he would have access to NFL disability of up to an extra $135k/yr. How could he possibly ever survive? Poor him.

Mellow

So let's look at that. 6.8 million is most likely taxed in the highest bracket of 37%. His agent gets %3 percent, so there's 40% for his agent and just Federal taxes, which leaves him with just a little over 4 million. Next, add in Ohio tax, which I haven't lived there since 1986 so I'm not sure what the rates are there, but I'm sure the state and locals are taking a nice chunk as well. 4 million is a lot of money, but it is not the kind of money a professional athlete is looking for to get him through the rest of his life and provide for his family. I don't see Jessie Bates in a whole lot of endorsement commercials, and most people outside of Cincinnati have no clue who he is, so his endorsement deals are probably relegated to the same shoe deals, etc, every player gets, and probably do not amount to all that much for him. He'll survive alright, it's obvious any NFL player would be looking for the big contract. 
Reply/Quote
He can’t handle the limelight
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2021, 09:37 AM)Sled21 Wrote:  He'll survive alright, it's obvious any NFL player would be looking for the big contract. 

Yes.  I agree that they all want big contracts.  But an awful lot of them become free agents without it destroying their psyche and will to play.  In fact MOST of them who become free agents are motivated to play BETTER when playing for a contract.

I loved the way Bates played last year, but this is a really bad look for him.   
Reply/Quote