Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bates fined 20k
So the hit on Adam Humphries did end up costing him. At least there’s no suspension (which I don’t think was warranted).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
What’s the reason? Defenseless receiver? I hate that rule. If you suit up, you’ve bypassed being defenseless.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 10:16 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: What’s the reason? Defenseless receiver? I hate that rule. If you suit up, you’ve bypassed being defenseless.

You work for the Steelers or something? That’s dangerous logic...

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 10:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You work for the Steelers or something? That’s dangerous logic...

Guy had the ball, we supposed to let him catch it?
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 10:27 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Guy had the ball, we supposed to let him catch it?

I’m not even talking about that specific play, I’m responding to your notion that no player that “suits up” can be defenseless.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 10:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not even talking about that specific play, I’m responding to your notion that no player that “suits up” can be defenseless.

I’m against targeting and helmet to helmet. I’m against shots that happen far away from the play. Outside of that, you aren’t defenseless IMO..
Reply/Quote
That’s horseshit.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Ridiculous fine. If he had been wearing a steelers uniform, they would have given him a trophy instead of a fine.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 12:18 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Ridiculous fine. If he had been wearing a steelers uniform, they would have given him a trophy instead of a fine.

Nah, they’d fine him, but their scumbag coach would just pay it.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 10:27 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Guy had the ball, we supposed to let him catch it?

That’s what the rules are now. The old days of hitting a guy so hard to separate the ball are over. You can use your hands to bat or strip a ball, that’s it.
Reply/Quote

This rule has been in the league for years now. It's time to get over it. We're never going back to "the good ol' days"
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 01:40 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: This rule has been in the league for years now. It's time to get over it. We're never going back to "the good ol' days"

So Humphries was defenseless? If the ball goes way over his head and he gets popped I understand the penalty. If he has a chance of completing the catch he shouldn’t be considered defenseless. Just my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 01:40 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: This rule has been in the league for years now. It's time to get over it. We're never going back to "the good ol' days"

Yep... I don't like it either, but I'm over it. I'm not gonna worry about Bates' wallet either. I want him to continue to be aggressive.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 01:56 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: So Humphries was defenseless? If the ball goes way over his head and he gets popped I understand the penalty. If he has a chance of completing the catch he shouldn’t be considered defenseless. Just my opinion.

Yes, they are considered defenseless until they make a “football move”. This part of the rule means it doesn’t have to be a hit to the head or hit with a helmet, all though those are also in this rule and against it. The old idea of hitting a guy so hard he drops the pass is now illegal. Coaches and players need to stop that practice.

“It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.”

“2. A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner. If the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player”

https://operations.nfl.com/
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 02:16 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Yes, they are considered defenseless until they make a “football move”. This part of the rule means it doesn’t have to be a hit to the head or hit with a helmet, all though those are also in this rule and against it. The old idea of hitting a guy so hard he drops the pass is now illegal. Coaches and players need to stop that practice.

“It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.”

“2. A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner. If the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player”

https://operations.nfl.com/

I know what the rule is, I think it’s absurd. It’s prob what Lou peaches and why our defense (other than Bates) lets guys catch every pass before attempting to jar it loose. Wouldn’t want to hurt any of those poor receivers.
Reply/Quote
This is one of those times that it is the letter of the rule but not egregious because Bates was trying to pull up and just hit him with his forearm.

I believe the team should foot the bill for fines like this one. It would show the players the team supports aggressive play within the rules but understands when things like this happen.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 12:18 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Ridiculous fine. If he had been wearing a steelers uniform, they would have given him a trophy instead of a fine.
Case in point, the last play of the Shittsburgh-Ravens game last week. Ravens receiver gets helicoptered by a defenders shoulder to the side of his head BEFORE the ball actually got there. Should've been a defenseless receiver and or DPI.

It was Shittsburgh. No call. Game over.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 03:27 PM)Synric Wrote: This is one of those times that it is the letter of the rule but not egregious because Bates was trying to pull up and just hit him with his forearm.

I believe the team should foot the bill for fines like this one. It would show the players the team supports aggressive play within the rules but understands when things like this happen.

That's not permitted, as it counts as a salary cap violation.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 06:27 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: That's not permitted, as it counts as a salary cap violation.

It's only allowed in Pittsburgh, according to James Harrison
Reply/Quote
So.. Bates got fined more than Bostic did when he had a head hit to a QB (Dalton) while he was sliding.

Thats.....interesting....
Reply/Quote